PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets have a 1 year window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is not posting good stuff IMO. We'll have to disagree, I guess. While I'm a definite believer in statistical analysis, I'm also one of those people who think Randy Moss would have higher numbers if defenses didn't design themselves to shut him down, and take such things as that into account.

The difference between your approach and mine is I don't pass my opinion off for an argument. I freely admit that I take most of my analysis of players from what those in the know have to say and what the numbers tell. That being said I have heard nothing but praise about Harris since he entered the league and on top of that his stats show he is a very strong presence in Rex's and even Mangini's D.

I can agree with your take on Moss but to be fair every teams D is designed to stop the other teams receiver and all top guys are double teamed.

Lol if the words of the direct competition mean nothing to you, if the players and coaches putting him in the pro bowl mean nothing to you, if several other football analyst outside of the ny times article mean nothing to you then I think your being intentionally oblivious. Everyones wrong but u?
Good point. Players never:

Talk up opponents.
Have players where they have success against or failures against that are outside the norm.

No scrub ever got a hit against Koufax, and Reggie White was never blocked. :bricks:

Ok I feel our issue derives from the original criteria. Harris and mayo may not be elite lbs but are really good when healthy. Mankins I thought is elite, why frustratingly not?

Yep, not being elite doesn't make you a scrub. Harris and Mayo are very good and full disclosure...I had the Pats taking Harris in my mock in 2007. I am not down on him in any way.

Mankins frustrates me because I believe he has everything needed to be an elite player. He wins battles, but doesn't dominate them. He is excellent in pass protection but there are times (few but generally important) when he seems to whiff on protection from interior blitzes. I see no obvious reason why which just increases the frustration. I like Mankins but I'm not sure he is a Pat in 2011 if he doesn't make that transition to elite this year...he will certainly want to be paid that way. So elite talent, but not elite player.

The difference between your approach and mine is I don't pass my opinion off for an argument. I freely admit that I take most of my analysis of players from what those in the know have to say and what the numbers tell. That being said I have heard nothing but praise about Harris since he entered the league and on top of that his stats show he is a very strong presence in Rex's and even Mangini's D.

Umm.... you were passing off your opinion as an argument, while using inconclusive stats to support it. There's nothing wrong with that because it all comes down to opinion in the end, but saying that you don't do that, when you've already done it, is closing the barn door after the horses are already out.

I can agree with your take on Moss but to be fair every teams D is designed to stop the other teams receiver and all top guys are double teamed.

1.) Not every team schemes to stop the top receiver of every other team. As Patriots fans, we know this to be true, because we've seen the Patriots scheme to shut down various strengths of opponents, and it's not always opposing receivers.

2.) Not every top receiver is double teamed. Film study shows this conclusively. Hell, you should know that, since your boy Revis doesn't generally get all that much double team help when he's defending an opponent's WR1.

Lol if the words of the direct competition mean nothing to you, if the players and coaches putting him in the pro bowl mean nothing to you, if several other football analyst outside of the ny times article mean nothing to you then I think your being intentionally oblivious. Everyones wrong but u?

I'm not saying that the words of the direct competition mean nothing to me, but individuals situations are person specific, and colored by that as a result. However, Schoebel is a perfect example of my point. He's not a better pass rusher than Freeney, but Light seems to handle Freeney more easily than he handles Schoebel.

As for the "Everyone's wrong but you" nonsense, go back and check out the Gang Green and Jets Insider threads from before Faneca arrived on the scene to cover for D'Bust's weaknesses. D'Bust still plays high and soft and, if Faneca wasn't there to cover his ass, he'd be getting exposed, perhaps not quite like in the good old days, but fairly often. I keep pointing to him as being the 3rd or 4th best LT in the division as an illustration of my point, but that keeps getting ignored.

Last edited:
I know this is OT but somehow it sure brought me a chuckle... maybe a portent of Jets fortunes :)

1.) Not every team schemes to stop the top receiver of every other team. As Patriots fans, we know this to be true, because we've seen the Patriots scheme to shut down various strengths of opponents, and it's not always opposing receivers.

2.) Not every top receiver is double teamed. Film study shows this conclusively. Hell, you should know that, since your boy Revis doesn't generally get all that much double team help when he's defending an opponent's WR1.

1) You are right, most defensive plans include letting the opponents top receiver catch balls.:rolleyes: Just because it may not be the main focus of their gameplan doesn't mean they don't try to prevent it.

2) Jets are probaly the only team that don't double Moss the majority of the time. You tell me, how many games did Moss go against single coverage? I am guessing only the Jets, maybe I am wrong.

Jets don't scare me one bit. BB will exploit that fat slob's defense like he did at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jets don't scare me one bit. BB will exploit that fat slob's defense like he did at home.

The more important question here is... who ARE you?

The more important question here is... who ARE you?
Not sure about him/her, but Keyser Söze was a character from the 1990's movie The Usual Suspects.

Not sure about him/her, but Keyser Söze was a character from the 1990's movie The Usual Suspects.

Dude was definitely someone you didn't want to mess with. :p

The more I think about it the more this is typical Jets over the last decade or so. They come on strong for a year maybe two and then go back to a losing record, new coach, major personnel changes and then Groundhog Day starts all over again.

The Patriots wish they had a window instead of an eye of a needle.:bricks:

The Patriots wish they had a window instead of an eye of a needle.:bricks:
Right, the Jets talking down to the Patriots. There is a lot of justificaiton for that huh?

Right, the Jets talking down to the Patriots. There is a lot of justificaiton for that huh?

Take a look at this thread. Judging how long a team will have to make an impact is foolish. Do you see anyone making posts about the Patriots window closing?

Besides me?

Take a look at this thread. Judging how long a team will have to make an impact is foolish. Do you see anyone making posts about the Patriots window closing?

Besides me?

Take a hike TROLL!!!!!!:singing::singing::singing:

Attachments

• jabbaandsanchez.jpg
    jabbaandsanchez.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 73
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back