PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets have a 1 year window

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
With all the bandwagon jumping going on with the Jets of late, I've done some research on the NyJetsCap.com page and a couple of other places and basically come to the conclusion that the Jets are operating in a 1 year window - 2 years tops.

There are 3 factors that contribute to this:

1) Free Agents after 2010:

8 starters and 2 more significant contributors will be free agents next year, including:

Mangold
David Harris
Braylon Edwards
Santonio Holmes
Leon Washington
David Harris
Shaun Ellis
Brad Smith
Eric Smith
Pool
Richardson

2) Team Salary Cap heading into 2010:

The Jets have committed $104 million for 30 players currently on the roster. While that doesn't seem high given the $127 million cap last year, the cap could potentially go down if the owners get their wish. More importantly, the Jets will be faced with resigning 2 pro bowl starters (Mangold and Harris), plus 2 even more significant FAs coming up the following year in Ferguson and Revis. Then there's the effect of point #3, which is coming up.

By contrast, the Patriots have about $68 mil committed to 31 players. Of course that doesn't include Tom Brady, but even if you give him a $17 mil salary, the Pats will still have $20 mil less committed with fewer starters to resign.

3) Abandoning the draft:

Over the past 3 years, the Jets have basically ignored the later part of the draft and this is carrying into 2010 and even 2011. This is resulting in a significant lack of depth and the inability to manage the cap by replacing older and more expensive players with younger and cheaper ones.

2009 - They only drafted 3 players, 2 of whom are starters and 1 on the PS.
2008 - Drafted only 6 players: 1 starter, 1 contributor, 1 gigantic bust, and a 3rd string QB.
2007 - Drafted only 4 players: 2 starters and 2 no longer with the team.

2010-11: Jets do not have a 3rd or 5th round pick in 2010 and have already traded 3rd and 7th rounders in 2011.

While the Jets have certainly hit on the early round selections they've made (Revis, Mangold, Harris, Greene, Keller, Ferguson), they've done nothing in the middle to later rounds. Many of these players are now due very large contract extensions, which will force the Jets' hand a little in dealing with the middle-tier veterans currently on their roster.

4) Depth and injuries

The other thing worth mentioning is how lucky the Jets were last year with injuries. Outside of the 2 bad ones to Jenkins and Washington, they had a remarkably injury-free season. The entire OL didn't miss a single game due to injury. Neither did any of their ILBs, TEs, or Safeties. So their lack of depth wasn't exposed in 2009. Injuries happen to everybody, so it's only a matter of time for the Jets. The older guys like Faneca, Woody, Pace and Ellis get, the less likely the are to last a full season.

Last edited:
Re: Jets have a 1 year window (oops, didn't mean to post in draft forum)

The Jets are obviously going for it all this year and if thier FA moves pan out it could pay off for them.

Its Super Bowl or Bust for Rex Ryan in 2010

Haha, love it!

... Can you do one about how the Colts' window is closing, too?

Haha, love it!

=========================================================

:rolleyes::):)

Appears that Rex is trying to replicate the probation approach that was used in Baltimore.. without regard for all the moves, no sure if any team can take on this many misfits without issues...

Agree they have a short window, but it will be great for any of these players to be playing in the rarified air and temptation free NYC;);)

Haha, love it!

Why bother. You wouldn't understand the difference anyway, Rex.

From what i've been reading here lately, it would seem that some Pats fans would like to do what the Jets are doing. No cap, no problem :rolleyes:

Last edited:

With all the bandwagon jumping going on with the Jets of late, I've done some research on the NyJetsCap.com page and a couple of other places and basically come to the conclusion that the Jets are operating in a 1 year window - 2 years tops.

There are 3 factors that contribute to this:

1) Free Agents after 2010:

8 starters and 2 more significant contributors will be free agents next year, including:

Mangold
David Harris
Braylon Edwards
Santonio Holmes
Leon Washington
David Harris
Shaun Ellis
Brad Smith
Eric Smith
Pool
Richardson

2) Team Salary Cap heading into 2010:

The Jets have committed $104 million for 30 players currently on the roster. While that doesn't seem high given the $127 million cap last year, the cap could potentially go down if the owners get their wish. More importantly, the Jets will be faced with resigning 2 pro bowl starters (Mangold and Harris), plus 2 even more significant FAs coming up the following year in Ferguson and Revis. Then there's the effect of point #3, which is coming up.

By contrast, the Patriots have about $68 mil committed to 31 players. Of course that doesn't include Tom Brady, but even if you give him a $17 mil salary, the Pats will still have $20 mil less committed with fewer starters to resign.
I think your reaching on this one. How can a team with a stable of youg talent which includes: Revis, Cromarties, Harris, Greene, Sanchez, Cotchery, Holmes, Braylon, Keller, Mangold, Brick and several key vets who are not old but not young be a one yr team? Will we be able to resign everyone? Of course not, the mid 2000's Pats dealt with this harsh reality as did every heavily talented team. You probably will see Leon let go, 1 of Holmes or Braylon let go. With some restructuring , and a couple cuts however the Jets core of Revis, Brick, Mangold, and Harris will remain intact. 1 yr? I dunno about that. Harris, & Holmes are RFA after this year as well

You also list Brodney Pool as a major contributor? really? A FA we signed 1 for 1.5, Eric Smith who is our 3rd safety and a JAG, Tony Richardson who I like but is a FB for christ sakes which isnt anywhere near a premium position, and Brad Smith who is an occasional wild cat guy. The Jets could cut Faneca, Bryan Thomas (who is a JAG ), and Woody next yr and save 13 mil. Tannebaum is a cap genius, we wont keep everyone but the core will remain intact and with our propensity for striking on draft picks replacing aging vets isnt a concern IMO

Last edited:

Rex Ryan* will fail, like every other jets coach in recent history.

Didn't we say that last year about the Jets, after they got Edwards and Sheppard and Scott and all them? Or the year before, when they got Favre, Faneca, Richardson, and all them?

Fact of the matter is, the salary cap has little impact on teams anymore. Especially when there isn't one.

Last edited:
Fact of the matter is, the salary cap has little impact on teams anymore. Especially when there isn't one.

You can't say that anymore at least until we see the new CBA. Yes, under the last CBA, the salary cap didn't mean anything anymore. Under the new CBA (assuming there is one) we have no idea if that is the case.

Odds are the new CBA will either significantly slow the yearly growth of the cap if not see growth grind to a halt for the short term. If the new CBA continues the cap growth like it was that made the cap irrelevant, it will soon make small market teams like Jacksonville and Buffalo irrelevant too since they will go out of business. The reason why there is a looming work stoppage in 2011 is because what you said because the cap was spiraling out of control.

I know it is Felger's favorite cause to claim the cap is irrelevant and he has done a good job making people think that the Pats should spend willy-nilly even with uncertainty of what the new CBA brings, but any new CBA will be designed to slow the trend of the past five years. The only thing that is being debated right now is how much it will slow. The owners want it to grind to a halt or some even want it to contract while the players want to only give small concessions. They'll end up meeting somewhere in between.

Didn't we say that last year about the Jets, after they got Edwards and Sheppard and Scott and all them? Or the year before, when they got Favre, Faneca, Richardson, and all them?

which is exactly why there may not even be a football season in 2011

the owners are near unanimous about reducing or at least minimizing the growth of player salaries.......

not sure that its a one and done for the jets, and yes, they have to get there first, but if they can make the pieces fit, they will be tough.

they're hanging alot on sanchez and if it doesn't work, he will take the fall

I want to see what the team is looking like after next week.. There is no Question right now the Jets have a better talented team then the Pats have with the exception of Coach and QB...

A lot of holes

Cap is a accounting figure .you can always make it up. Its not real dolllars.
Mangold
David Harris
are the only 2 true should be signed candidates.

Leon is 2nd tier but unless i see him play i will not sign him coming off a foot injury.His game is speed and if he even losses a step this whole game is gone.

Edwards unless he gets a hands transplant

Cromarties - Honestly the guy has a good season in 2007. 3 years ago . He was never able to do anything after that, I have no clue how he is going to play back to his 3 yr old form now!!!. i read the whole ryan system and how its going to help him. In in SD he was given safety help and still stunk up the joint and now ryan is going to put him in an island with no safety help
to run his blitz packages.He is going to benched by week 6. Remember with safety help he had to either take the inside leverage or outside leverage but could did nothing .

Revis has a very good season to be a great CB he needs to do it consistently over time.what if he goes the cromarty way then bailey or deion.

Last edited:

...um....they made it to the Championship game last year.

I want to see what the team is looking like after next week.. There is no Question right now the Jets have a better talented team then the Pats have with the exception of Coach and QB...

Why would what the team looks like next week make a big difference that what it is right now with the only exception of the roster being more full with players?....these will be rookies who have done nothing yet,just high profiled names of college athletes on a roster by next weekend and thats all

....now I can see if you mean wait until training camp and see how good these new rookies look in practice, but whoever the Pats select may look good on thursday and friday night,but means nothing until the pads come on.

Personally,I leave my opinion of rookies until late July when they really become notable,I always wonder why people get so excited after a draft when so many questions remain to be answered in the following months.

Last edited:

Haha, love it!

Colts are like the winter snows. Heavy at times, hard to plow through, pretty much guaranteed to return year after year. Jets are a passing summer thunderstorm. Lot of flash and thunder, but dissipates quickly.

From what i've been reading here lately, it would seem that some Pats fans would like to do what the Jets are doing. No cap, no problem :rolleyes:
Yeah, every fanbase includes morons. The Patriots are not exception. Worse, actually. It's the price we pay for dynastic greatness.

All that matters is what happens between the white lines on game day.

Sounds trite as I write it, but it is the only thing we can be sure of. In 2001, most experts had the Pats 7--9 or 8--8; last year, with the return of Brady, many, if not most, had them in the AFCCG or winning the SB.

The Jets have a mix of old and young players, not unlike a lot of other teams.

They do seem to be focused on "winning now." Their owner has riled up a lot of their fans with his PSL's, their Coach has support that is the proverbial mile wide and an inch deep, and Johnson and Ryan both know that it's been a long time and a lot of promises since 1968.

The Jets have made some offseason moves that could do them a lot of good if they pan out; they could also do them harm. They still don't know whether they have Danny White or Troy Aikman at QB.

So, I'm thinking about the Pats and what they have to do to get back to where they want to be. I think they will have a very strong draft and I don't think they're finished making other moves.

No way.

I do not want to be collecting players that other teams couldn't wait to get rid of (Holmes, Edwards, Cromartie.. the list goes on). Even though we are not adverse to picking up troublesome players- we only have done so, one at a time (Dillon, Moss).

As Pioli learned a long time ago.. you're always trying to build up a team, not collecting players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots