PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jalen Hurts Becomes Highest Paid Player in NFL History

Crazy

The dude had one good year, behind an elite O-line with elite receiver's. Making him the highest paid player of all time will bite them on their ass in a year or two

I agree it’s too soon and he did throw up a few Mac like ducks.
He was just lucky enough to have AJ Brown making it a non issue.

Surprised the extension is only for 5 years. Hurts and his agent are betting big on his next contract…

Last edited:
I didn't like him at Alabama but he did improve a lot, he's a very good QB in the NFL of today and I still think there's room for improvement, cutting some mistakes.

I would definitely chose him over Lamar with the data we have today.

Crazy

The dude had one good year, behind an elite O-line with elite receiver's. Making him the highest paid player of all time will bite them on their ass in a year or two
Reminds me of Joe Flacco. One good year, then they backed up the Brinks truck, then shortly thereafter they regretted doing so.

Surprised the extension is only for 5 years. Hurts and his agent are betting big on his next contract…
... and the team is hedging their bets that he won't be worth the money after five years.

Man that's a lot of money.

Seems premature to give him that much guaranteed money, but they are probably taking a calculated risk that he will be even more expensive next offseason, if he has similar season next year. His legs will always play but I agree that the Eagles may end up regretting that deal.

The Ravens also can’t be happy with ~180m in guaranteed money. Lamar has even more reason to ask for more than 200m in guaranteed cash.

this sure will put Philadelphia in cap jail!

Seems premature to give him that much guaranteed money, but they are probably taking a calculated risk that he will be even more expensive next offseason, if he has similar season next year. His legs will always play but I agree that the Eagles may end up regretting that deal.

The Ravens also can’t be happy with ~180m in guaranteed money. Lamar has even more reason to ask for more than 200m in guaranteed cash.
Yep. Lamar's ask for $200m guaranteed doesn't look that unrealistic in comparison...

If Mac Jones turns it around in 2023 and looks decent, I hope everyone is prepared to have to pay him $35M or more per year very soon.

Good for him

Yep. Lamar's ask for $200m guaranteed doesn't look that unrealistic in comparison...

If Mac Jones turns it around in 2023 and looks decent, I hope everyone is prepared to have to pay him $35M or more per year very soon.

I believe that his fifth year option will cost that much. It is an unfortunate consequence of his Pro Bowl appearance as a rookie.

I believe that his fifth year option will cost that much. It is an unfortunate consequence of his Pro Bowl appearance as a rookie.

Bedard debunked that. His fifth year option is $25 million. You only get the bump for the Pro Bowl if you were one of the QBs voted into the Pro Bowl. Jones got in because other QBs dropped out. So it doesn't count.

I like him quite a bit, but didn't he like just finish playing with an injury to his throwing shoulder. Sounds sort of risky to invest if so.

I think we all have to come to the realization that an upper tier QB is gonna cost a lot of $.

It's funny, when MJ was drafted the comp I read most was to Derek Carr who IMO "looks decent", and Derek's latest contact is

Derek Carr signed a 4 year, $150,000,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including a $28,500,000 signing bonus, $100,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $37,500,000.

And $150M/4 gives you $37M...

Yet I wonder if BB is still running the team when it comes time to make that decision, will he decide to pay MJ that money or decide what "makes the team better" is to find a replacement level QB for short money and spend the big bucks on the defense.

I agree it’s too soon and he did throw up a few Mac like ducks.
He was just lucky enough to have AJ Brown making it a non issue.

Dude, I will give you $100k if you can go into ONE thread between now and week 1 of the regular season without taking a shot at Mac.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back