PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick: Highest Paid Coach in North American Sports at $20m per

Are you talking about Belichick in the 2007 SB? That 2007 season offense was #2 highest scoring offense in NFL history, scoring 37 pts/gm, yet only managed a paultry 14 points in the SB.
I have no idea what poultry has to do with it, but Belichick said it was a coaching disaster. He ended up going to 4 more Super Bowls, winning 3, 8 more championship games, and at NO POINT was he ever 4-9. McVay, despite all that talent, has missed the playoffs multiple times in just a few years after that Super Bowl.

I don't know what you're talking about at this point. No one in 2018 thought that Goff, Woods, and Cooks were some superstar hall of famers. Everyone knew their play/stats were being elevated by Sean McVay's scheme. So basically he took a team to the playoffs with a group of offensive players who were good, not great in 2018. Also I don't know how there was a "power outage" in the playoffs. They scored 30 points in the divisional round, and scored 23 points with 380 yards of offense in the NFCCG and they did that while Gurley's knee was falling apart.

In 2021 you keep yelling about an all star team and how talented they were. What did McVay do with that talent? He won a Super Bowl. I don't really know what else you wanted him to do.

You seem to think that it is a knock on McVay that Stafford started to taper off midway though 2021 when in fact it is the opposite. He was able to win games all the way to the winning the Super Bowl with a QB who allegedly wasn't playing well. He should get even more credit for coaching up the team with alleged subpar play from the most important position on the roster.
You're getting the years mixed up. We were talking about what you labeled a pedestrian offense in 2018. This is what I said in response:

"A good coach doesn't come into the Super Bowl then with one of the top 10 offenses in NFL history and get thoroughly depants'd. 3 points, the lowest total in history. He was totally unprepared.

OK, so fine. It's a learning curve. He's still got a super talented team. Next year, he misses the playoffs. They start stocking players, reloading, FAs, the most talented team in the NFL. And it almost happens again to them. They don't hit, they've got a putrid offense after putting up a ton of points, their QB turtles, and they are just lucky to play one of the worst SB teams of the decade with the exception of the Panthers."

The most talented team I'm referencing is the last 2 years. Not 2018. The power outage is the last 2 years. I even quoted ESPN+ this morning to show that.

And obviously I'm not basing this off just one game in 2018 when I'm talking about not only him missing the playoffs 2x in these years, but the last 19 games they had when the offense was not performing. There was never any question that they had a stellar defense with the best player in football, Ramsey at CB, but McVay has nothing to do with that. He's an offensive guy. And that offense has woefully underperformed in crucial situations since that 2019 SB.

As I said about ESPN+, they have McVay moving on from his innovation simply because it's been countered and held down. How many coaches in this league could do more with a HOF QB, Kupp, Beckham, Jefferson and Higbee? A lot.

I don't know what you're talking about at this point. No one in 2018 thought that Goff, Woods, and Cooks were some superstar hall of famers. Everyone knew their play/stats were being elevated by Sean McVay's scheme. So basically he took a team to the playoffs with a group of offensive players who were good, not great in 2018. Also I don't know how there was a "power outage" in the playoffs. They scored 30 points in the divisional round, and scored 23 points with 380 yards of offense in the NFCCG and they did that while Gurley's knee was falling apart.

In 2021 you keep yelling about an all star team and how talented they were. What did McVay do with that talent? He won a Super Bowl. I don't really know what else you wanted him to do.

You seem to think that it is a knock on McVay that Stafford started to taper off midway though 2021 when in fact it is the opposite. He was able to win games all the way to the winning the Super Bowl with a QB who allegedly wasn't playing well. He should get even more credit for coaching up the team with alleged subpar play from the most important position on the roster.
He's just a hater. I mean nobody here likes McVay, but to die on the hill that he's a bad coach is asinine.

He believes that there aren't any good young coaches, yet Bill has lost to McDaniel (39), O'Connell (37), and Eberflus (52), all rookie coaches. The game has passed Bill (70). He's too old and set in his ways to be competitive with these younger innovative coaches. He continues to roll out 1980 offenses and truly believes he can be a contender by doing that. Either that or he's just trolling Kraft at this point.

New England spent an NFL record amount of guaranteed money in 2021 FAcy and drafted a 1st Round QB, yet look pathetic in their 2nd year together. I have little confidence that Belichick can turn this team around. Pats will remain a mediocre team sitting as a #7-#9 seed, getting rolled in the playoffs if they're lucky enough to make it and losing out on top half of draft picks. If they continue to roll with Sunshine, who's shown nothing in his 2nd year to be deemed a franchise QB, it'll set the team back 5 years. I don't care if they beat the Raiders, another below average team. They'll fold like a Manila envelope in their last 3 games against stiffer opposition. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. It is what it is.

You're getting the years mixed up. We were talking about what you labeled a pedestrian offense in 2018. This is what I said in response:

"A good coach doesn't come into the Super Bowl then with one of the top 10 offenses in NFL history and get thoroughly depants'd. 3 points, the lowest total in history. He was totally unprepared.

OK, so fine. It's a learning curve. He's still got a super talented team. Next year, he misses the playoffs. They start stocking players, reloading, FAs, the most talented team in the NFL. And it almost happens again to them. They don't hit, they've got a putrid offense after putting up a ton of points, their QB turtles, and they are just lucky to play one of the worst SB teams of the decade with the exception of the Panthers."

The most talented team I'm referencing is the last 2 years. Not 2018. The power outage is the last 2 years. I even quoted ESPN+ this morning to show that.

And obviously I'm not basing this off just one game in 2018 when I'm talking about not only him missing the playoffs 2x in these years, but the last 19 games they had when the offense was not performing. There was never any question that they had a stellar defense with the best player in football, Ramsey at CB, but McVay has nothing to do with that. He's an offensive guy. And that offense has woefully underperformed in crucial situations since that 2019 SB.

As I said about ESPN+, they have McVay moving on from his innovation simply because it's been countered and held down. How many coaches in this league could do more with a HOF QB, Kupp, Beckham, Jefferson and Higbee? A lot.
You keep twisting what was said over and over. In 2018 the offense wasn't pedestrian, just most of the players who made it up. The offense racked up yards and scored points. McVay had average to good NFL players playing at an elite level largely because of his offensive scheme.

In 2021 his offense had very good to elite players and he won the Super Bowl.

2022 they lost Odell Beckham who played pretty well for them down the stretch when Woods went down. They also lost Von Miller who played great for them down the stretch as well. They lost long time starter, Andrew Whitworth, at left tackle. They lost 4 of their offensive coaches. Their 34 year old QB had an offseason elbow surgery and ended up getting 2 concussions before getting shut down with a spinal injury. Their record breaking receiver went down midway though the year with a high ankle sprain. Around the same time their big money free agent receiver who underachieved all year went on IR for the year as well. In addition to Cupp and Robinson's injuries they were also without Van Jefferson for a month early in the year. The guy thought to be their lead running back coming into the year flaked out and wanted to be traded.

But yes in spite of all that McVay should be waltzing his way to another ring right now but he isn't so he is a terrible coach.

I am done with this conversation at this point. The thread is about Bill's salary and not Sean McVay but for the price (and at this point regardless of the price) I would rather have McVay as a coach going forward.

He's just a hater. I mean nobody here likes McVay, but to die on the hill that he's a bad coach is asinine.

He believes that there aren't any good young coaches, yet Bill has lost to McDaniel (39), O'Connell (37), and Eberflus (52), all rookie coaches. The game has passed Bill (70). He's too old and set in his ways to be competitive with these younger innovative coaches. He continues to roll out 1980 offenses and truly believes he can be a contender by doing that. Either that or he's just trolling Kraft at this point.

New England spent an NFL record amount of guaranteed money in 2021 FAcy and drafted a 1st Round QB, yet look pathetic in their 2nd year together. I have little confidence that Belichick can turn this team around. Pats will remain a mediocre team sitting as a #7-#9 seed, getting rolled in the playoffs if they're lucky enough to make it and losing out on top half of draft picks. If they continue to roll with Sunshine, who's shown nothing in his 2nd year to be deemed a franchise QB, it'll set the team back 5 years. I don't care if they beat the Raiders, another below average team. They'll fold like a Manila envelope in their last 3 games against stiffer opposition. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. It is what it is.
The Defense is much closer than the O to be complete we are going to have to ride the Defense some. Teams already fear Judon now Uche is on the rise and Barmore is coming back we have a legit D going forward we can Win with Good Defense.:cool:

You keep twisting what was said over and over. In 2018 the offense wasn't pedestrian, just most of the players who made it up. The offense racked up yards and scored points. McVay had average to good NFL players playing at an elite level largely because of his offensive scheme.

In 2021 his offense had very good to elite players and he won the Super Bowl.

2022 they lost Odell Beckham who played pretty well for them down the stretch when Woods went down. They also lost Von Miller who played great for them down the stretch as well. They lost long time starter, Andrew Whitworth, at left tackle. They lost 4 of their offensive coaches. Their 34 year old QB had an offseason elbow surgery and ended up getting 2 concussions before getting shut down with a spinal injury. Their record breaking receiver went down midway though the year with a high ankle sprain. Around the same time their big money free agent receiver who underachieved all year went on IR for the year as well. In addition to Cupp and Robinson's injuries they were also without Van Jefferson for a month early in the year. The guy thought to be their lead running back coming into the year flaked out and wanted to be traded.

But yes in spite of all that McVay should be waltzing his way to another ring right now but he isn't so he is a terrible coach.

I am done with this conversation at this point. The thread is about Bill's salary and not Sean McVay but for the price (and at this point regardless of the price) I would rather have McVay as a coach going forward.
I can't read your mind. When you write pedestrian offense, I respond to those words. You meant the players, OK. Even though I'd consider Cooks and Woods to be top 20 WRs in the league in 2018. Pro Bowlers at RB and on the OL. Whatever it was, he went from top offense, to 3 points (the lowest total ever) and then winning 7 games the following year.

So, OK, that's a one off. Fine. Belichick went 11-5 after they scored only 14 in the '07 Super Bowl. A bad game for McVay.

In my original post, I even excused McVay for this because he was a young coach. Go back and look.

But then see what happened after that. They again missed the playoffs. They then traded 5 #1 draft choices for Ramsey, Stafford and others. They put together an All-Star offense, and they did really well for the 1st half of the season. Then coaches got the tape and figured McVay out. The offense started performing worse than half the teams in the NFL. Stafford suddenly had problems in the playoffs. The ineptitude of the Bengals is the only thing that saved them.

You mentioned their key injuries this year but I explicitly said I was looking ONLY at their games PRIOR to these injuries. I was looking at the second half of last year and the 1st half of this year. Kupp and Stafford started and played into the 9th game. ESPN+ also analyzed the performances for those 19 games. The Rams went 3-6 when these players were healthy. So this isn't a matter of injury excuses.

This is just a total bunch of lies.

Venecol is easily the worst poster on Patsfans. I never said so much of this. There are good young coaches. Just because I don't think McVay is one of them doesn't make a blanket statement. Such BS

What venecol excels at is making up a bunch of strawmen no one has ever said. Good work. What a loser

Last edited:
The Defense is much closer than the O to be complete we are going to have to ride the Defense some. Teams already fear Judon now Uche is on the rise and Barmore is coming back we have a legit D going forward we can Win with Good Defense.:cool:
Definitely agree , however we are having some injuries in the secondary. Wrong time of year to be having injuries in the secondary... Barmore was back at practice today. Hopefully he can play, he's huge for us! Wise also too is a factor off the edge. What's so impressive with this D.. is outside of judon we are a top 5 D without any big names!

They still had the best players this year. And it got them a 3-6 record before Stafford and Kupp went out. Donald is still there.

We lost our best players. But they were all old and at the end of the line. we needed to rebuild, obviously. I don't think people understand we lost 15 of our top players, and they were old, with the exception of Thuney, Elandon Roberts and Trey Flowers. Everyone else aged out. White, Brady, Cannon, Gronk, Bennett, Edelman, Amendola, Hightower, Gilmore, Chung, Jason McCourty. That's 14 players GONE!!!
Teams lose and replace players all the time.

Definitely agree , however we are having some injuries in the secondary. Wrong time of year to be having injuries in the secondary... Barmore was back at practice today. Hopefully he can play, he's huge for us! Wise also too is a factor off the edge. What's so impressive with this D.. is outside of judon we are a top 5 D without any big names!
And with the Jones Triplets and Jalen Mills we'll have nice back-end. :cool: I want Jonathan Jones back Inside if Jalen Mills is healthy.:cool:

Last edited:
Teams lose and replace players all the time.
I didn't say they replaced anyone. I said those players were still there. Kupp, Stafford and Donald were still there.

And with the Jones Triplets and Jalen Mills we'll have nice back-end. :cool: I want Jonathan Jones back Inside if is Jalen Mills is healthy.:cool:
Yes, secondary is solid. Love our safeties as well. Peppers, Phillips and Dugger will be in bigger roles next season as I sense D Mac will probably hang it up. Mills has had groin issues since he was with the eagles. Yes Jonathan Jones inside he was great in the slot when we had Gilmore. Looking ahead... I've mentioned on the forum we really, really need to look into trying to trade for pat Surtain II in Denver. The guys is 6'2 ultra physical, locks down WR'S he'd take the D to another level.

This D looks to me like last year's D. They beat up on teams with poor QBs or offenses and not so much against better QBs and offenses. Let's see how they do against Bengals, Dolphins and Bills. Cousin and Allen smoked the secondary.

Yes, secondary is solid. Love our safeties as well. Peppers, Phillips and Dugger will be in bigger roles next season as I sense D Mac will probably hang it up. Mills has had groin issues since he was with the eagles. Yes Jonathan Jones inside he was great in the slot when we had Gilmore. Looking ahead... I've mentioned on the forum we really, really need to look into trying to trade for Pat Surtain II in Denver. The guys is 6'2 ultra physical, locks down WR'S he'd take the D to another level.
Wow! I like. :cool:

This D looks to me like last year's D. They beat up on teams with poor QBs or offenses and not so much against better QBs and offenses. Let's see how they do against Bengals, Dolphins and Bills. Cousin and Allen smoked the secondary.
I don't know about that: a heathy C Barmore makes D Wise and D Ekuale look like players. Also we are finally seeing the effects of healthy Josh Uche paired with the Great Judon. I think our Front Seven is much better than regarded.:cool:

Here's a list of 2022 HC sorted by winning % since 2020. McVay is #10 and the only coach on the list with a SB win in last 3 seasons. Belichick is #18 with no division or playoff wins. Majority of coaches (56%) are under 50. The average age is 49.6 years.

TeamCoachHiredAgeWLTW%
Kansas City ChiefsAndy Reid20136436100.783
Minnesota VikingsKevin O'Connell2022371030.769
Buffalo BillsSean McDermott20174834120.739
Philadelphia EaglesNick Sirianni2021412190.700
Green Bay PackersMatt LaFleur20194331150.674
Tennessee TitansMike Vrabel20184730160.652
Miami DolphinsMike McDaniel202239850.615
Dallas CowboysMike McCarthy20205928180.609
Baltimore RavensJohn Harbaugh20086028180.609
Los Angeles RamsSean McVay20173626200.565
Pittsburgh SteelersMike Tomlin200750261910.565
Seattle SeahawksPete Carroll20107126200.565
Indianapolis ColtsFrank Reich **201861231810.548
San Francisco 49ersKyle Shanahan20174325210.543
New York GiantsBrian Daboll2022477510.538
Cleveland BrownsKevin Stefanski20204024210.533
Los Angeles ChargersBrandon Staley20214016140.533
New England PatriotsBill Belichick20007024220.522
Cincinnati BengalsZac Taylor20193923220.511
Arizona CardinalsKliff Kingsbury201943232300.500
Carolina PanthersSteve Wilks202253440.500
Tampa Bay BuccaneersTodd Bowles202259670.462
Washington FTRon Rivera202060212410.457
Atlanta FalconsArthur Smith20214012170.414
Las Vegas RaidersJosh McDaniels202246580.385
Jacksonville JaguarsDoug Pederson202254580.385
New York JetsRobert Saleh20214311190.367
New Orleans SaintsDennis Allen202250490.308
Detroit LionsDan Campbell20214692010.300
Denver BroncosNathaniel Hackett2022423100.231
Chicago BearsMatt Eberflus2022523100.231
Houston TexansLovie Smith20226411110.077

I don't know about that: a heathy C Barmore makes D Wise and D Ekuale look like players. Also we are finally seeing the effects of healthy Josh Uche paired with the Great Judon. I think our Front Seven is much better than regarded.:cool:
Sure, but the issue is the better QBs get rid of the ball fast which negates the pass rush. I wouldn't say our ILBs are great. Dugger and JoJones were picked at by Cousins and Allen. Let's see what happens. Hopefully you're correct and the D (rush + secondary) show up against these elite QBs.

Not with these CBs & Free Safety... Still don't trust the LBs either.

It's hard to argue against that, however have to remember aside from judon there are no all-pros in the d.. as a unit they play well. They did well against the dolphins in week 1 all be it a loss.. but as you stated they have to step up against better competition. That's why I stated one of groh/BB moves has to be finding a way to acquire a lockdown corner. Pat surtain ll would be my pick!

Not with these CBs & Free Safety... Still don't trust the LBs either.
True however how many all pros on this D? They are top 5 in the league in all the categories that matter :

Scoring
Sacks
3rd down %
Take aways

The rams have some all pros on D and they aren't even ranked in the top 5.
That's the most impressive with the defense having no all pros save for judon but made up of some unproven players, young guys, and rookies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back