PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick: Highest Paid Coach in North American Sports at $20m per

I think he's unprepared and coasting on the most talent in the entire NFL.

The thing that bugs me about him more than anything is that 2x he's gone to the Super Bowl and both times not only were his QBs underwhelming after they racked up high stats playing crud defenses, but his all world defenses played patty-cake. They don't hit, they don't wrap up, and it's all the players. I blame a coach who doesn't pay attention to detail. It's no shock at all to me that they suck this year.

This is the 2x he'll miss the playoffs coming off the Super Bowl. He's had 3 great seasons, the 1st one, and the 3 Super Bowl years. But his teams constantly underperform.

And then I see the talent there: Matthew Stafford, Cam Akers, Cooper Kupp, Odell Beckham, Van Jefferson, Tyler Higbee, Aaron Donald, Leonard Floyd, Von Miller, Jaelen Ramsey. The team had 9 Pro Bowlers. Arguably got lucky even getting by Tampa when Tampas' DC had a brainfart
This is such an insanely bad take I can't believe it isn't a troll job. He took the 2018 team to a Super Bowl with a relatively pedestrian offense. Jared Goff is about as average as average can be as a starting NFL quarterback and had a couple of great years solely due to the fact McVay is such a great offensive coach. Gurley who played great the first two thirds of the season then his knee deteriorated to the point they had to play around him down the stretch. Two solid receivers (Cooks and Woods) that got a statistical bump playing in Mcvay's scheme and a bunch of JAG tight ends.

You see great talent on that 2021 team and guess what he did with that great talent? Won the Super Bowl. Of the players you mentioned above two of them (Von Miller, Odell) are no longer on the team, and multiple others have missed a good amount of time this year (Stafford, Akers, Kupp, Jefferson, Donald). Did they under achieve this year? Yes. Does that make McVay a bad coach? Not even close.

This is such an insanely bad take I can't believe it isn't a troll job. He took the 2018 team to a Super Bowl with a relatively pedestrian offense. Jared Goff is about as average as average can be as a starting NFL quarterback and had a couple of great years solely due to the fact McVay is such a great offensive coach. Gurley who played great the first two thirds of the season then his knee deteriorated to the point they had to play around him down the stretch. Two solid receivers (Cooks and Woods) that got a statistical bump playing in Mcvay's scheme and a bunch of JAG tight ends.

You see great talent on that 2021 team and guess what he did with that great talent? Won the Super Bowl. Of the players you mentioned above two of them (Von Miller, Odell) are no longer on the team, and multiple others have missed a good amount of time this year (Stafford, Akers, Kupp, Jefferson, Donald). Did they under achieve this year? Yes. Does that make McVay a bad coach? Not even close.
He's been hating on McVay for a while now. Not sure why but his take is absolute trash.

This is crazy to me.

I mean, I have no idea what we're even talking about.

Relatively pedestrian offense?!!!

They were a top 10 offense in NFL history.

They blew teams away. So that's great that McVay designed an incredible offense. Kudos to him.

A good coach doesn't come into the Super Bowl then with one of the top 10 offenses in NFL history and get thoroughly depants'd. 3 points, the lowest total in history. He was totally unprepared.

OK, so fine. It's a learning curve. He's still got a super talented team. Next year, he misses the playoffs. They start stocking players, reloading, FAs, the most talented team in the NFL. And it almost happens again to them. They don't hit, they've got a putrid offense after putting up a ton of points, their QB turtles, and they are just lucky to play one of the worst SB teams of the decade with the exception of the Panthers.

He's been hating on McVay for a while now. Not sure why but his take is absolute trash.
You guys don't even know the basics. Middling offense, the guy says. And you agree!

They still had the best players this year. And it got them a 3-6 record before Stafford and Kupp went out. Donald is still there.

We lost our best players. But they were all old and at the end of the line. we needed to rebuild, obviously. I don't think people understand we lost 15 of our top players, and they were old, with the exception of Thuney, Elandon Roberts and Trey Flowers. Everyone else aged out. White, Brady, Cannon, Gronk, Bennett, Edelman, Amendola, Hightower, Gilmore, Chung, Jason McCourty. That's 14 players GONE!!!
LAs issues were same as ours this season prior to the Stafford injury. The OFFENSIVE side of the ball.. it was kupp and no one else making plays. Allen Robinson didn't adapt to thier offense as they were would have hoped for.

But yes we lost of alot of players from free agency, retirementents and so on..

I've already come to the conclusion that the remaining games in this season is all about the rookies continued progress. I don't think we will see Myers, Parker and possibly Mills the rest of the year. Just my feeling based on thier injury situations.

You forgot about Andrew Whitworth retiring. Their OL has been trash, worse than ours.

This is crazy to me.

They blew teams away. So that's great that McVay designed an incredible offense. Kudos to him.

A good coach doesn't come into the Super Bowl then with one of the top 10 offenses in NFL history and get thoroughly depants'd. 3 points, the lowest total in history. He was totally unprepared.

OK, so fine. It's a learning curve. He's still got a super talented team. Next year, he misses the playoffs. They start stocking players, reloading, FAs, the most talented team in the NFL. And it almost happens again to them. They don't hit, they've got a putrid offense after putting up a ton of points, their QB turtles, and they are just lucky to play one of the worst SB teams of the decade with the exception of the Panthers.
A pedestrian group of players that were elevated to a level they were never at again without McVay. You're making my point for me. He turned that group into a top 10 offense in NFL history. You're penalizing McVay for going up against the greatest coach in history and the greatest defensive mind in history with the centerpiece of his offense a shell of himself. You're basing your entire perception on McVay over one game and ignoring the overwhelming evidence he is one of the brightest offensive minds the league has ever seen.

LAs issues were same as ours this season prior to the Stafford injury. The OFFENSIVE side of the ball.. it was kupp and no one else making plays. Allen Robinson didn't adapt to thier offense as they were would have hoped for.

But yes we lost of alot of players from free agency, retirementents and so on..

I've already come to the conclusion that the remaining games in this season is all about the rookies continued progress. I don't think we will see Myers, Parker and possibly Mills the rest of the year. Just my feeling based on thier injury situations.
Real really?? I really doubt that.

Thinking McVay is a bad coach....

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

A pedestrian group of players that were elevated to a level they were never at again without McVay. You're making my point for me. He turned that group into a top 10 offense in NFL history. You're penalizing McVay for going up against the greatest coach in history and the greatest defensive mind in history with the centerpiece of his offense a shell of himself. You're basing your entire perception on McVay over one game and ignoring the overwhelming evidence he is one of the brightest offensive minds the league has ever seen.
I mentioned multiple games. Not one game.

It's really bizarre that first, you called a top 10 NFL history offense mediocre, and now the very players that the rest of the NFL considers the greatest collection of talent, THOSE players are called pedestrian. Amazing. I mean, we have really nothing left to discuss, because everyone is always talking about the Rams array of talent, and we can't even agree on that, so why bother.

Real really?? I really doubt that.
I said that my feelings, doesn't mean it will happen. Is common sense still used these days?

The seasons coming to an end.. concussions if you haven't noticed are not easy for players to come back from. Do you see Myers playing anytime soon? Do you see mills who's been dealing with a groin playing? How about Parker he's concussed as well.. again I said that's my personal feelings that's not official!! Just using COMMENSE SENSE logic.

You forgot about Andrew Whitworth retiring. Their OL has been trash, worse than ours.
That's right forgot about that. Yeah and the Rams are pretty much married to those contracts right? Didn't they give up picks to sell out to win it all last season?

I mentioned multiple games. Not one game.

It's really bizarre that first, you called a top 10 NFL history offense mediocre, and now the very players that the rest of the NFL considers the greatest collection of talent, THOSE players are called pedestrian. Amazing. I mean, we have really nothing left to discuss, because everyone is always talking about the Rams array of talent, and we can't even agree on that, so why bother.
Lol please show me a single person who said that Goff, Robert Woods, and Brandin Cooks is the greatest collection of talent.

Listen, you had a bad take. You can back away from it and no one will beat you up you for it but this need to die on the "Sean McVay is a bad coach" hill is insane. You're flat out wrong. He is a great coach and one of the best offensive minds the league has seen.

Lol please show me a single person who said that Goff, Robert Woods, and Brandin Cooks is the greatest collection of talent.

Listen, you had a bad take. You can back away from it and no one will beat you up you for it but this need to die on the "Sean McVay is a bad coach" hill is insane. You're flat out wrong. He is a great coach and one of the best offensive minds the league has seen.
The operative word is "NOW"...

As in this year.

I listed the stars on that team. 9 Pro Bowlers.

You said they were mediocre when they were top 10 in NFL history, then proceeded to have a power outage in the playoffs.

Then they went and got a star studded team. Most talented team in the NFL. I could easily find 2 dozen articles on that fact in 10 seconds.

Here's a critique on ESPN+ this morning about McVay's offense last year (I'll only post fair use 10% of the article for copyright purposes). The critique said McVay's offense was looking great for the first 8 games of last season, then it swooned and looked poor. It continued to look bad for the 1st half of this season (the article covers the 19 games between last year's midpoint and this year's):

"Since then? Stafford's 53.2 QBR ranks 19th in the league, just behind Daniel Jones. He has thrown 21 interceptions in 19 games and is back averaging 7.1 yards per attempt, which is right at the league average. The Rams have been forced to get away from McVay's empty looks, and before suffering a series of injuries that appear to have ended his season, the same Stafford who led the league in QBR against man coverage last season was posting one of the worst marks in 2022.

Stafford won a Super Bowl, and his play on the game's final drive played a key role in getting them there. He also struggled mightily at times during the second half of the campaign, turned the ball over twice in the Super Bowl and was lucky to get away with many bad throws in both the divisional round and conference title game. The arm punt from Stafford that 49ers safety Jaquiski Tartt dropped in the latter contest wouldn't have sealed the game for San Francisco, but it came on a fourth-quarter drive, which eventually produced the tying field goal."

And during this period, I remind you that LA had all its weapons, its offensive line was intact, Stafford was the QB, receiving weapons in Kupp, Jefferson, Beckham, Higbee, the RBs were still there. The defense was loaded.

Last edited:
I can’t believe that this thread is still active, and approaching 700 posts. The original takes probably ran out within the first 10 posts. SMH.

This is crazy to me.

They blew teams away.

A good coach doesn't come into the Super Bowl then with one of the top 10 offenses in NFL history and get thoroughly depants'd.

Are you talking about Belichick in the 2007 SB? That 2007 season offense was #2 highest scoring offense in NFL history, scoring 37 pts/gm, yet only managed a paultry 14 points in the SB.

Are you talking about Belichick in the 2007 SB? That 2007 season offense was #2 highest scoring offense in NFL history, scoring 37 pts/gm, yet only managed a paultry 14 points in the SB.

Yep, when 17 points is enough to get you to OT, you kick the dam FG (and hold onto the dam ball when you out-weigh the RB by 30+ pounds).

p.s.: A capable OC with more experience than Skippy had at the time would've squeezed-out at least 20 from that offense vs that defense.

The operative word is "NOW"...

As in this year.

I listed the stars on that team. 9 Pro Bowlers.

You said they were mediocre when they were top 10 in NFL history, then proceeded to have a power outage in the playoffs.

Then they went and got a star studded team. Most talented team in the NFL. I could easily find 2 dozen articles on that fact in 10 seconds.

Here's a critique on ESPN+ this morning about McVay's offense last year (I'll only post fair use 10% of the article for copyright purposes). The critique said McVay's offense was looking great for the first 8 games of last season, then it swooned and looked poor. It continued to look bad for the 1st half of this season (the article covers the 19 games between last year's midpoint and this year's):

"Since then? Stafford's 53.2 QBR ranks 19th in the league, just behind Daniel Jones. He has thrown 21 interceptions in 19 games and is back averaging 7.1 yards per attempt, which is right at the league average. The Rams have been forced to get away from McVay's empty looks, and before suffering a series of injuries that appear to have ended his season, the same Stafford who led the league in QBR against man coverage last season was posting one of the worst marks in 2022.

Stafford won a Super Bowl, and his play on the game's final drive played a key role in getting them there. He also struggled mightily at times during the second half of the campaign, turned the ball over twice in the Super Bowl and was lucky to get away with many bad throws in both the divisional round and conference title game. The arm punt from Stafford that 49ers safety Jaquiski Tartt dropped in the latter contest wouldn't have sealed the game for San Francisco, but it came on a fourth-quarter drive, which eventually produced the tying field goal."

And during this period, I remind you that LA had all its weapons, its offensive line was intact, Stafford was the QB, receiving weapons in Kupp, Jefferson, Beckham, Higbee, the RBs were still there. The defense was loaded.
I don't know what you're talking about at this point. No one in 2018 thought that Goff, Woods, and Cooks were some superstar hall of famers. Everyone knew their play/stats were being elevated by Sean McVay's scheme. So basically he took a team to the playoffs with a group of offensive players who were good, not great in 2018. Also I don't know how there was a "power outage" in the playoffs. They scored 30 points in the divisional round, and scored 23 points with 380 yards of offense in the NFCCG and they did that while Gurley's knee was falling apart.

In 2021 you keep yelling about an all star team and how talented they were. What did McVay do with that talent? He won a Super Bowl. I don't really know what else you wanted him to do.

You seem to think that it is a knock on McVay that Stafford started to taper off midway though 2021 when in fact it is the opposite. He was able to win games all the way to the winning the Super Bowl with a QB who allegedly wasn't playing well. He should get even more credit for coaching up the team with alleged subpar play from the most important position on the roster.

Pats were also undefeated, setting records and favored by 14 points. That loss was the biggest choke job in sports history. Their Super Bowl drought continued for 7 more years.

Looking forward to the rebuttal on this.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back