PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Hernandez indicted in double Homicide back in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=297 is my take on the salary cap implications.

Yeah, that is what I thought. It has nothing to do with him being convicted, it is all about his availability to the team. Hernandez being indicted for a crime that occurred before the contract was signed, will make him unavailable to the team for an extended period of time that voids the contract.

Ironically, the actual murders themselves have nothing to do with what the Patriots are going to use to go after the original signing bonus.

Very strange, according to teammates he was quiet and to himself. I might be wrong, but he didn't seem like a bad teammate. I guess the crazy ones or usually the quiet ones.

http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=297 is my take on the salary cap implications.

As always, Miguel, spectacular work to explain the situation. Two comments. 1) I doubt there is anything left from the funds paid out in the signing bonus. Some went for guns, some went for ammo, some went to the rental car company, and the rest went for lawyers who probably asked for 100% up-front knowing that they are representing a bad guy. 2) The Sean Taylor decision by the NFL to make the Redskins carry a cap hit a year after he was murdered is unforgivable. It gives a new and very sobering meaning to the phrase "dead money."

As Miguel says for those not bothering to read his detailed analysis, "If Aaron Hernandez is charged for crimes that occurred before July, 2012, the Patriots would be able to go after the {remaining $3.5 million of the $12.5 million signing bonus} because Aaron would have then violated the clause where he represented and warranted that there weren’t any existing circumstances when he signed his deal that would prevent his continuing availability throughout the contract. and the clause that explicitly states that the Patriots wouldn’t have entered into the contract except for Hernandez’s representations."

The part { } is my wording of what he explains later.

There are also some lesser amounts in contention.

The potential cap relief could still be several seasons away.

It is not a conviction, but after indictment by a grand jury the likelihood of a guilty plea or finding increases exponentially.. in the Federal system there is something like a 93% conviction rate post grand jury, have no idea what it is in Mass., but suspect it is high.

The only way to describe this whole thing is, incredible. How does someone so vicious get so far in the sports world and fool people for so long. This thug probably has done things that should have put him in prison years ago. He will never spend a day out of prison ever again, and rightfully so.

All I will say is that "celebrity" trials in recent years tend to go easier on the defendants (e.g., they still don't have the murder weapon in the Lloyd case).

If I am reading this correctly then the Patriots won't get credit for what they paid him, only what they manage to recoup from him, and if that is more than a dollar I will be surprised. I am guessing he will get rid of every dime of that, mostly on lawyers, before they have any shot at it.

I fully expect them to be able to add $1 to their 2019 cap space.

But, but,...how will his lawyers get paid?

I imagine that the lawyers will/have gotten most of it already.

It it will take a lot of work for Kraft to reach down the throats of all the lamprey eels and retrieve his money back. But I bet even Kraft himself along with the rest of us really just wants the cap space released.

If I am reading this correctly then the Patriots won't get credit for what they paid him, only what they manage to recoup from him, and if that is more than a dollar I will be surprised. I am guessing he will get rid of every dime of that, mostly on lawyers, before they have any shot at it.

I fully expect them to be able to add $1 to their 2019 cap space.

Well, I'm pretty sure the Patriots can file a pretty good case to freeze his remaining assets.

It blows my mind that he signed a huge contract a month after the shooting, played an entire season of football, and was loved and supported by us before anybody had a clue. This guy is a monster.

It blows my mind that he signed a huge contract a month after the shooting, played an entire season of football, and was loved and supported by us before anybody had a clue. This guy is a monster.

Haven't you heard? 31 teams are saying they knew exactly who and what Hernandez was (of course)..

.. all the while pretending they wouldn't have traded for Hernandez in a hummingbird's heartbeat had the Patriots put him on the market before Hernandez decided he had become too gangsta to bother with silly things like "alibis" and "not leaving evidence".

Last edited:
The only way to describe this whole thing is, incredible. How does someone so vicious get so far in the sports world and fool people for so long.

OJ has been asking himself the very same question for years and years.

All I will say is that "celebrity" trials in recent years tend to go easier on the defendants (e.g., they still don't have the murder weapon in the Lloyd case).

Not having the murder weapon is no impediment to a murder conviction. Especially in this very evidence rich case.

Well, I'm pretty sure the Patriots can file a pretty good case to freeze his remaining assets.

That would be nice but absent a conviction I don't see how they do that. I wish they were getting what they paid him back but i doubt it is going to be anything significant when all is said and done.

As always, Miguel, spectacular work to explain the situation. Two comments. 1) I doubt there is anything left from the funds paid out in the signing bonus. Some went for guns, some went for ammo, some went to the rental car company, and the rest went for lawyers who probably asked for 100% up-front knowing that they are representing a bad guy.

No.

Miguel "His signing bonus was $12.5 million. It was scheduled to be paid out over three installments. Hernandez received $6 million in August of 2012 and $3.25 million in March of 2013. Aaron is scheduled to receive the third and final payment- $3.25 million on March 31, 2014."

The Patriots have not paid the $3.25 million so that amount plus some other lesser workout bonus amounts are possibly recoverable.

Very strange, according to teammates he was quiet and to himself. I might be wrong, but he didn't seem like a bad teammate. I guess the crazy ones or usually the quiet ones.
Welker would disagree with this statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST