PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Hernandez indicted in double Homicide back in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an attorney blackglass3, but I have a decent amount of schooling in the subject as I'm working on my 3rd criminal justice/forensics degree at the moment. Believe me, just like anything else, I am certainly wrong a lot too (just ask my wife ;) ).

To answer your question---I think the process is going to take awhile due to the complexities of the 2 cases, the fact that they were linked with many of the same players, witnesses, etc. The defense is the side who are going to drag their heels because they are going to want to try and get evidence and testimony thrown out, which will take some time due to the scheduling of the different dates, appearances, etc. On top of that, they have to go through all of the mountains of evidence that the prosecution has, which is reported to be over 50 DVD's that have interviews, camera footage from the night, and questioning of witnesses on them. I would imagine that is doubled due to the fact that there are 2 cases, so there is likely a massive amount of paperwork, testimony, camera footage, etc.

The fact that you bring up re: the billable hourly rate isn't probably "the" main reason, but I would imagine that the defense attorneys and all of their expert witness aren't too mad just the same ;)
I read an article recently that suggested Hernandez is unlikely to have the money for his high-powered defense team to represent him in the double homicide. I would be curious if they would stick with him for the publicity at a lower rate but I have to figure any money Hernandez had (I would estimate $10M-$15M) will be spent prior to jury selection in the double homicide.

It's times like these when I wish I was in favor of the death penalty.

It's probably a three way tie with AH, OJ and Rae Carruth. Admittedly Carruth didn't pull the trigger but being an active participant in the car shooting of your pregnant ex-girlfriend is right up there.

I think Hernandez is definitely the worst. The guy is basically a serial killer that killed three people, spanning over more than one occasion...if you want to say "alleged" serial killer, be my guest. Who knows how many more people he would have killed had he not been caught? Shooting into a car loaded with people because one of them didn't apologize for accidentally bumping into you in a club? If true, talk about impersonal disrespect for human life in general...and that's being extremely generous. Apparently, the guy was ready to kill you if you looked at him sideways. A dead-eyed, empty, soulless bastard. That's a great characteristic to have...in prison.

At least you can half-way understand Carruth and OJ's motives, as despicable as they were.

Carruth comes in a close second. Trying to murder your unborn child and its mother...well that's horrible beyond words. He didn't want to pay child support or something? I hate that guy. OJ comes in third because I don't think he went there with the intention of committing murder. He's still a pud anyway.

That's my take. Stay tuned next week when I rank the acts of horrendous pedophiles.

Last edited:
27u1XbS.jpg

It's times like these when I wish I was in favor of the death penalty.

Yep. Massachusetts hasn't executed anyone since 1947, but I somehow wish they'd connect this with the crossing of state lines gun sales rumors that we've heard of---although it's highly unlikely.

Not sure if you remember the case of 1997's Jeffrey Curley, who was from the area and was a 10 yr old boy who was killed by some older guys in their 20s, but his dad was an enormous advocate of the death penalty, lobbying many state reps etc to get the necessary changes. After thinking about it for quite some time, he ended up changing his mind, and realized that 2 "wrongs" don't make a right. His dad still gives a lot of speeches in the Boston area about this subject.

I read an article recently that suggested Hernandez is unlikely to have the money for his high-powered defense team to represent him in the double homicide. I would be curious if they would stick with him for the publicity at a lower rate but I have to figure any money Hernandez had (I would estimate $10M-$15M) will be spent prior to jury selection in the double homicide.

I think I'd agree with your thoughts that they'll stick with him due to the exposure factor alone, no matter what. I'd be interested in knowing the financial specifics, but if I had to guess I'd say your probably spot on with your guesstimate about how much he was worth.

I think I'd agree with your thoughts that they'll stick with him due to the exposure factor alone, no matter what. I'd be interested in knowing the financial specifics, but if I had to guess I'd say your probably spot on with your guesstimate about how much he was worth.
The only thing that comes to mind is if he is convicted on the Odin Lloyd murder is the second trial even going to command that much attention, at that point it is just a murderer serving life standing trial, he is not really a celebrity football player on trial anymore.

The only thing that comes to mind is if he is convicted on the Odin Lloyd murder is the second trial even going to command that much attention, at that point it is just a murderer serving life standing trial, he is not really a celebrity football player on trial anymore.

Good point. I have an odd feeling that we're not done seeing things come to a head just yet, although I could be wrong. I'm still interested in this "Pouncey"/Florida/Bradley connection to guns, etc. It'd be weird if this was one of the ways they got Bradley to flip, especially since he was very faithful to Hernandez in the past. I doubt much will come from it, but I still think we're going to hear more about it somehow.

Thanks all for clearing up my questions regarding the rental car.
More questions for the board: Since it seems reasonable to conclude that Alexander Bradley has become a key witness against Hernandez, I'm curious why police in Florida didn't pursue charges against AHern despite Bradley's unwillingness to press charges for getting his face shot off? Since when does discharging a firearm into another' s face become a discretionary call by the DA and or the police?
And I pulled this off a blog following all the AHern legal issues...
""
Civil Suits

• The shooting of Alexander Bradley in 2013. Bradley alleges that Hernandez shot him in the face after an argument at Tootsie’s club in Miami, Florida. Bradley is seeking at least $100,000.00 for various surgeries, pains, and injuries stemming from the shooting. This litigation is presumably halted until Hernandez completes his murder defenses.""
So my question....who "halted" this litigation? Waiting for a murder verdict certainly helps the civil suit, but the money may dry up by the time this is all over. Imagine tomorrow we read that the civil case initiated by Bradley against AHern was settled. Then maybe....all of a sudden... Bradley becomes a less cooperative witness. And if a statute exists that prevents civil action while a criminal trial is on going, maybe the settlement occurs off the books and the civil case gets dropped. Are AHern's assets frozen eliminating such a cash layout? Regardless....Any settlement won't deter the authorities from putting the squeeze on Bradley, and Bradley appears to be the living breathing link to AHerns world. But lets just say too many insiders who also face their own legal issues in this case have either clammed up, changed stories, been shot, or have been found dead....so who knows what kind of testimony Bradley winds up giving on the stand.
How Freakin Whacked is this entire saga.
AHern should have paid this guy off from the get go....or been a better shot. Think Bradley is walking around his cell block looking for lion tatoos? Unless he has one.

With respect to the criminal prosecution for shooting Bradley in Florida. My memory is that when Bradley was found shot in the face in Florida he refused to identify the shooter to police. It was only when Bradley sued Hernandez for his medical bills that the allegation that Hernandez was the shooter came out. I do not know what foresic evidence the police have on the Florida shooting, but Bradley's initial statements are very problematic for the prosecution. The Florida prosecutors may simply be waiting to see what happens on the murder cases here, before they make a choice on whether to go forward. There is no way Massachusetts would agree to release Hernandez to Florida while he is being held on Murder charges here (nor would Florida if the circumstances were reversed). Depending on the statute of limitations for this shooting crime in Florida (think John Connolly this week) Flordia could bring charges at a later time and extradite Hernandez if it looks like he is going to beat the charges here.

I am wondering whether we see Federal charges against Hernandez on some of the gun trafficing things that are implied in some of the articles out there. Usually Fed charges trump state charges, but I am not sure the Feds would want to step over murder charges for gun charges.

On the civil front regarding the Bradley suit, it is Hernandez's lawyer who would ask for a stay of the civil case during the pendancy of the criminal charges. The argument his lawyer makes is how can Hernadez participate in his civil defense when he is incarcerated and trying to defend against criminal claims that could put him in jail for the rest of his life. The judge often has a lot of discretion with respect to these things. My memory is that his lawyer already tried to do this and the judge in Florida refused the stay, which was a surpise. Although Hernadez has so many cases against him it is hard for me to keep things straight.

Hernandez is broke already-he's likely to have a public defender. Figured it'd happen, but not this quick.

Hernandez is broke already-he's likely to have a public defender. Figured it'd happen, but not this quick.

He still has piles of cash stashed around somewhere..

I'm guessing in the trunk of a rental car.. :)

I think Hernandez is definitely the worst. The guy is basically a serial killer that killed three people, spanning over more than one occasion...if you want to say "alleged" serial killer, be my guest. Who knows how many more people he would have killed had he not been caught? Shooting into a car loaded with people because one of them didn't apologize for accidentally bumping into you in a club? If true, talk about impersonal disrespect for human life in general...and that's being extremely generous. Apparently, the guy was ready to kill you if you looked at him sideways. A dead-eyed, empty, soulless bastard. That's a great characteristic to have...in prison.

At least you can half-way understand Carruth and OJ's motives, as despicable as they were.

Carruth comes in a close second. Trying to murder your unborn child and its mother...well that's horrible beyond words. He didn't want to pay child support or something? I hate that guy. OJ comes in third because I don't think he went there with the intention of committing murder. He's still a pud anyway.

That's my take. Stay tuned next week when I rank the acts of horrendous pedophiles.

Moron. Hernandez is a pop corn gangster compared to Anthony Shea and the armored car robbers from Charlestown. I told you before at least a hundred times, STOP blabbing your egomaniacal drivel on our board. Really, you posted that bullshyt knowing Whitey Bulger ruled Southie for generations??? Idiot.

http://tv.biography.com/tv/gangsters-americas-most-evil/episodes/anthony-shea-and-the-no-name-gang

http://www.thetakeaway.org/story/298285-understanding-mind-alleged-mobster-james-whitey-bulger/

Ignorant of reality and a fan of anything Barfalo makes YOU persona non grata...STFU.

Wow, all that time on his hands and he can't even make his workout bonuses.

What's up with that?

How do you know this? I do not think he has spent that much in legal fees yet, probably a couple hundred thousand.

Good point. I have an odd feeling that we're not done seeing things come to a head just yet, although I could be wrong. I'm still interested in this "Pouncey"/Florida/Bradley connection to guns, etc. It'd be weird if this was one of the ways they got Bradley to flip, especially since he was very faithful to Hernandez in the past. I doubt much will come from it, but I still think we're going to hear more about it somehow.
Bradley was arrested the night of the Super Bowl for shooting up the front of a CT bar. He was also shot in the altercation, but was being held on $1M bail (since reduced to $451K earlier this month) so my thinking is that he was obviously looking at some serious time and had a big card to play and that card was Hernandez. Bradley was loyal to Hernandez but a person has to draw the line somewhere and being shot in the face was that line for Bradley…o_O

18 million...per 11 o'clock news tonight

I can't remember, DZ but I'm older than THIS.........

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference