PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Green Beans send Leon Washington to Seattle for 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Pete Carroll. I hope he does well in Seattle.

Hey, I LIKE Pete Carroll too. He's a great College coach. NFL? Not so much. I think he'll get a pass for the first year, no matter what happens, same as he did in New England. After that, though, the rose-tinted glasses come off and the fans in Seattle will likely have a very different view of their new head coach.

You are what your record says you are. :cool:

Certainly Carroll is a likeable fellow. He'd be a great next door neighbor.

As a leader of an NFL front office and game day commandant, no thanks.

Last edited:
Maybe,,,Seems to me that the Jets recommitted to the run taking an O lineman, RB, and FB.
Plus WR. Holmes and Edwards were acquired with 2010 draft picks, were they not?

Just a couple of questions, if you please. I'd like a Jets fan's perspective.

What was the issue with Faneca? With no cap, the Jets could have paid him. Is it like our Adalius, the guy was a pain in the butt and not worth the money? Skills degrading? I really like Ducasse, but disagree with Kiper who said the Jets added OLine depth with Ducasse. Seems to me they broke even unless Ducasse really comes through. With the cutting of faneca, I understand and applaud the drafting of Ducasse, so I guess my question is: Why cut faneca?

Exact same question re: Leon Washington and Mcknight. Was it Leon's injury history? I thought a knock on McKnight was that he was oft injured. Right now your RBs are Tomlinson, Greene and McKnight, correct? And two FBs?

I like Wilson a lot as a CB. I think he will do much better for you than Cromartie. Oh, last question, similar to first two. What was wrong with Lito Shepard? I was bummed when you guys got him. I wanted him to be a Patriot. You basically gave up Shepard and a second round pick for Cromartie, and I would have thought Shepard > Cromartie, never mind throwing in a draft pick.

Last edited:
same thing can be said here as well. The same place where I read one week you guys wanted Marshall the next he actually is a negative for the dolphins. Bottomline is every fan base/board has guys who will spin everything i nto a positive for their team i.e. you guys got Spikes you love him, if the Jets took him he would be a thug would who tried to turn a georgia RB into a cyclops
Well, I'm not so sure it is people spinning marshall into a positive. Yeah, there were pats fans who wanted marshall (and are still bummed), just as there were those like me who wanted no part of him before and are very happy he is not a Patriot.

The danger is in selective reading, looking only at positive posts pre-trade and negative posts post-trade, and assuming that both comments were made by the same people.

From the Patriots end, I assure you they are not. Probably the same is true of the Jets fans.

regarding guys like Marshall, I disagree strongly that you can plug-and-play football players like a computer monitor or printer. Or like a fantasy football team.

Other folks believe that team synergy is a myth, that a team is the sum total of its parts, no more, no less. To me, this doesn't explain the 2001 Patriots or 2007 Giants, though if pressed, I will accept 'any given Sunday' as an explantion.

PHP:
[quote="spacecrime, post: 1805474"]Plus WR. Holmes and Edwards were acquired with 2010 draft picks, were they not? 

Just a couple of questions, if you please. I'd like a Jets fan's perspective.

What was the issue with Faneca? With no cap, the Jets could have paid him. Is it like our Adalius, the guy was a pain in the butt and not worth the money? Skills degrading? I really like Ducasse, but disagree with Kiper who said the Jets added OLine depth with Ducasse. Seems to me they broke even unless Ducasse really comes through. With the cutting of faneca, I understand and applaud the drafting of Ducasse, so I guess my question is: Why cut faneca?
===============================================

Faneca was a good locker room guy, he was /is on the decline IMHO, he graded out as the worst player on the Jets line as was due to receive $7.2 I believe and $5 of that he is still guaranteed to get minus what some other team will pay for him. Even with no cap I understand there are other factors and the Jets have quite a few contracts that they need to clear cap for. Revis, DBrick, Mangold, Edwards, Holmes, Cromartie, etc). Evidently thae Jets asked him to take a pay cut and he refused.

It was a money cut, not saying I agree with it or not, but thats how I see it.

PHP:
Exact same question re: Leon Washington and Mcknight. Was it Leon's injury history? I thought a knock on McKnight was that he was oft injured. Right now your RBs are Tomlinson, Greene and McKnight, correct? And two FBs?
======================================================

Leon was a similar situation, refused the Jets offer of $5 per season then got hurt, Leon was wanting to get paid and the Jets have others they value more they want to sign first, add in the injury and that he is coming up on 29, I feel in someways the Jets did Leon a big favor.

PHP:
I like Wilson a lot as a CB. I think he will do much better for you than Cromartie. Oh, last question, similar to first two. What was wrong with Lito Shepard? I was bummed when you guys got him. I wanted him to be a Patriot. You basically gave up Shepard and a second round pick for Cromartie, and I would have thought Shepard > Cromartie, never mind throwing in a draft pick.[/QUOTE]
====================================================

Sheppard struggled to make plays last year, maybe it was scheme, was hurt for 1/3 of the games and was due a huge bonus if he was to be resigned ($5?) and would of cost the Jets a higher compensatory pick to the Eagles if he was resigned.

Sorry, I made a mess out of my post format.:bricks:

Sheppard struggled to make plays last year, maybe it was scheme, was hurt for 1/3 of the games and was due a huge bonus if he was to be resigned ($5?) and would of cost the Jets a higher compensatory pick to the Eagles if he was resigned.

Sorry, I made a mess out of my post format.:bricks:
Yeah, as best as i could tell you fed me back my own thoughts rather than giving me a Jets fan viewpoint. Or were you agreeing with my thoughts on Faneca?

No problem. I'll leave it as Jets traded faneca for ducasse, washington for mcknight, and conner for richardson (no one carries 2 FBs any more). So the draft netted you Holmes, Edwards and Wilson.

Yeah, as best as i could tell you fed me back my own thoughts rather than giving me a Jets fan viewpoint. Or were you agreeing with my thoughts on Faneca?

No problem. I'll leave it as Jets traded faneca for ducasse, washington for mcknight, and conner for richardson (no one carries 2 FBs any more). So the draft netted you Holmes, Edwards and Wilson.

===================================================

They were my thoughts on Faneca and Sheppard, I can't speak knowledgeably about the Jets draft picks.

To translate Gunnails' cryptic post Faneca was starting to suck and the Jesters saved $2+M despite $5M guaranteed he will collect. Leon was an unhappy camper who had already turned down $5M/year before his injury and wasn't trusted/expected to perform any better under an RFA contract.

To translate Gunnails' cryptic post Faneca was starting to suck and the Jesters saved $2+M despite $5M guaranteed he will collect. Leon was an unhappy camper who had already turned down $5M/year before his injury and wasn't trusted/expected to perform any better under an RFA contract.

=====================================================

Sorry about being cryptic, it's 3 hours earlier here.

I agree with bOX AND HIS SYNOPSIS.

you should have seen Guns back in the ol' "Moss...no..Coles...no...Moss...Coles...Moss" days, flip flopping like a fat fluke on Cap'n J's charter out of Sheepshead Bay....NOBODY throws ex-players under the bus like Jet fan...NO BODY

Last edited:
you should have seen Guns back in the ol' "Moss...no..Coles...no...Moss...Coles...Moss" days, flip flopping like a fat fluke on Cap'n J's charter out of Sheepshead Bay....NOBODY throws ex-players under the bus like Jet fan...NO BODY

===================================================

Good times.

flip.gif

Sawree for the cheap shot, Guns...I saw the opening and ran with it
icon11.gif

Ah, okay. Didn't realize Faneca sucked. I thought the OLine was a strong point for the Jets. I don't care why Leon is gone, as long as he is outta here. In the NFC is a bonus.

So basically the Jets replaced Faneca with Ducasse, Richardson with Connor, and Washington with McKnight.

Maybe next year we'll let Mankins walk and replace him with a second round rookie. That should go over well with the doom-and-gloomers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think it should be factored in that this is a Jets team which has contracts looming that they need to re-up. Leon is a guy which falls to the way side with Harris, Mangold, Brick, Revis and possibly Holmes, Edwards and Cromartie needing new deals in 1-2 yrs. Factor that plus a guy coming off a compound fracture who cant make cuts yet, this is a painful yet necessary move. The Jets didn't have Leon for the majority of the year so I guess you cant feel the impact of losing something you never had :(. OT: but with the cutting of Faneca, and restructuring of Gholston's deal the resigning of the core should be a certainty

Last edited:
Well, I'm not so sure it is people spinning marshall into a positive. Yeah, there were pats fans who wanted marshall (and are still bummed), just as there were those like me who wanted no part of him before and are very happy he is not a Patriot.

The danger is in selective reading, looking only at positive posts pre-trade and negative posts post-trade, and assuming that both comments were made by the same people.

From the Patriots end, I assure you they are not. Probably the same is true of the Jets fans.

regarding guys like Marshall, I disagree strongly that you can plug-and-play football players like a computer monitor or printer. Or like a fantasy football team.

Other folks believe that team synergy is a myth, that a team is the sum total of its parts, no more, no less. To me, this doesn't explain the 2001 Patriots or 2007 Giants, though if pressed, I will accept 'any given Sunday' as an explantion.

Quoted For Truth

Hard Knocks is shaping up to be must see summer TV.

"It's a sad day," one veteran player told ESPNNewYork.com on Saturday, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "I'm not sure if I'm going to recognize our team anymore."

Make no mistake, there's concern in the locker room that the front office, while collecting talented players with short-term agendas, may have removed too many "team" players. The Jets were a closely knit group last season, a bond that enabled them to overcome a potentially disastrous midseason slump. But now there are players wondering if the organization did too much tinkering.

"We're like one-year mercenaries, going for broke," another player said. "You're messing with something a lot of teams wish they had -- chemistry."

The Faneca-Washington moves hit like a 1-2 punch. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, commenting on the Washington trade, remarked on his Twitter page, "Whhhhyyyyy!!!!"

New York Jets trade Leon Washington and release Alan Faneca -- might team chemistry suffer? - ESPN New York

"It's a sad day," one veteran player told ESPNNewYork.com on Saturday, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "I'm not sure if I'm going to recognize our team anymore."
I've hated the Jets longer than most Pats fans members have been alive and am very happy the Jets players are unhappy, but I have to say this is just whining. Every team turns over a quarter to a third of its roster every year.

This article must have been written by Felger's NYC soul mate.

That said, with the Jets non-draft (one new position player - cutting/trading then drafting a replacement OG, RB, FB), I've moved them down to third place in the AFCE behind the Dolphins. Their strength last year was their running game - they tended to lose when relying on Sanchez - and the got rid of the two reliable backs. They now have a couple unproven young backs and an over-the-hill guy who has proven that his skills are in decline.

Might work out, but there is a just a great a chance that Jermaine Cunningham is the next Rosie Colvin as there is Decasse is the next Faneca, and Aaron Henandez has as much chance of being the next Ben Coates as Joe McKnight has of being the next Curtis Martin.

We'll see how it plays out.

I've hated the Jets longer than most Pats fans members have been alive and am very happy the Jets players are unhappy, but I have to say this is just whining. Every team turns over a quarter to a third of its roster every year.

This article must have been written by Felger's NYC soul mate.

That said, with the Jets non-draft (one new position player - cutting/trading then drafting a replacement OG, RB, FB), I've moved them down to third place in the AFCE behind the Dolphins. Their strength last year was their running game - they tended to lose when relying on Sanchez - and the got rid of the two reliable backs. They now have a couple unproven young backs and an over-the-hill guy who has proven that his skills are in decline.

Might work out, but there is a just a great a chance that Jermaine Cunningham is the next Rosie Colvin as there is Decasse is the next Faneca, and Aaron Henandez has as much chance of being the next Ben Coates as Joe McKnight has of being the next Curtis Martin.

We'll see how it plays out.
Im tired of people saying this but losing Leon means zip to the Jets rushing attack, he was hurt for our entire run to get into the playoffs and in the playoffs. What does losing a player who played a minimal role in the #1 rushing attack mean? Nada. Also Jones is overrated, he averaged roughly 2.2 YPC in his final 7 games. The guy wore down and I would have rather gotten rid of him now then go into next year with him as the starter again. He had 0 burst left in the playoffs. Richardson is still on the team they just drafted his heir apparent. Do you honestly expecting losing their 4th or 5th best linemen who people consistently trashed here will turn the leagues best o-line into pudding? Will they be as potent possible no but they still will be very good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft