PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Gholston starting tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gholston starting tonight

======================================================

I think the Sanchize will be just fine, I am quite excited by this kid. A couple of years in the leauge is what he needs to get his game on.

If Ghoulston was ever to come on this year, The Jets wold be scary good on D.

The Jet's defense will be scary good anyway. But Ghoulston does get eaten up by blockers. He needs to work on some moves.

Once Revis & Jenkins comes back it'll get ugly for some opposing offenses.

Gholston got double teamed several times. Still, when he was one on one, he did not show any other moves, other than a straight bullrush. On the sack, where he came in untouched, he DESTROYED Carr. Caused a fumble too. That though, while going in helmet to helmet. Meh, many others have done the same thing.

Ghoulston was not invisible. got some pressures.

Gholston got double teamed several times. Still, when he was one on one, he did not show any other moves, other than a straight bullrush. On the sack, where he came in untouched, he DESTROYED Carr. Caused a fumble too. That though, while going in helmet to helmet. Meh, many others have done the same thing.

Okay class . . . Sea Bass v. Gholston . . . . who wins? :D

i heard sanchez outplayed eli tonite..

I live in NY so I get to see a lot of the Jets and this is my take on their defense.

Scott is a great tackler and great at getting after the QB but his coverage skills are below average in my opinion. Revis is one of the best CB's in the league and is a shutdown CB. Leonhard is a scrappy and tough guy but he's undersized and not all that talented. Jenkins is a force in the middle and a game changer. Harris is a tackling machine at LB, he is always around the ball, always making plays. Lito Sheppard has been horrific. Now we know why he was in the doghouse in Philly. He can't stay with any of the WR he's been assigned to cover and he's been flagged for numerous pass interference calls because he has to tug guys and interfere with them as he is consistently getting toasted. You know a guy can't be that good when a team would prefer to go with Ellis Hobbs ;) The defense in general played sloppy for the most part in the first half IMO. They jumped offsides like 3 times in a row and got called for multiple pass interference penalties. Seem like there were a lot mix ups in coverage at times too.

All in all, I think most Jets fans overrate their defense based on the names they brought in. The additions of Scott, Leonhard, Sheppard and coach Rex Ryan automatically make Jets fans think their defense will be exactly like the Ravens defense. Sorry but last time I checked Vernon Gholston is not Terrell Suggs, Kerry Rhodes while good and productive, is not Ed Reed, Shaun Ellis is not Haloti Ngata, and Leonhard is not Dawan Landry. Bart Scott is not the vocal leader Ray Lewis is either. Just because you bring over two guys from the Ravens and the Defensive Coordinator doesn't mean you have a great defense. You need great personnel to have a great defense, not great names on paper.

Last edited:

For Gholston, being average makes him a huge bust. I got the strong sense that year that Belichick was letting it be known he liked Gholston to get the Jets to take him one spot before them (at the time) just like he spooked the Jets into taking D'Brickshaw Ferguson (actually trading way UP to get him wasting a 1st round pick as well).

That's a lot of salary cap to have tied up in guys who are average at best.

I live in NY so I get to see a lot of the Jets and this is my take on their defense.

Scott is a great tackler and great at getting after the QB but his coverage skills are below average in my opinion. Revis is one of the best CB's in the league and is a shutdown CB. Leonhard is a scrappy and tough guy but he's undersized and not all that talented. Jenkins is a force in the middle and a game changer. Harris is a tackling machine at LB, he is always around the ball, always making plays. Lito Sheppard has been horrific. Now we know why he was in the doghouse in Philly. He can't stay with any of the WR he's been assigned to cover and he's been flagged for numerous pass interference calls because he has to tug guys and interfere with them as he is consistently getting toasted. You know a guy can't be that good when a team would prefer to go with Ellis Hobbs ;) The defense in general played sloppy for the most part in the first half IMO. They jumped offsides like 3 times in a row and got called for multiple pass interference penalties. Seem like there were a lot mix ups in coverage at times too.

I only saw a few minutes of the replay today but what I did see was just this, penalties, blow assignments, and late reaction by the NYJ. In fact, Steve Smith blew past Shepherd off the line and ran right past Leonhard with ease. Eli just missed him. Rhodes (I think) came over late but an accurate pass ends up in 6 on that play.

Methinks Tom will have a field day if Leonhard lines up on the same side of the field as Shepherd. Whichever wr is out there may be open all day.

I know it is only preseason but getting beat that bad on a "go" route by an average-slightly above average wr does not bode well for the Jets.

For Gholston, being average makes him a huge bust. I got the strong sense that year that Belichick was letting it be known he liked Gholston to get the Jets to take him one spot before them (at the time) just like he spooked the Jets into taking D'Brickshaw Ferguson (actually trading way UP to get him wasting a 1st round pick as well).

That's a lot of salary cap to have tied up in guys who are average at best.

=======================================================

As always you make good points, although,,,, DBrick #4 in his draft, is no bust, he has started every game since entering the league, mediocre at run blocking, excellent pass blocker. There is not a single Pats lineman I would trade him for.

Ghoulston wether he turns into a good player or not will be considered a bust due to his draft spot #6 and his slooooow development.

By the way the Jets did not trade up for either Brick or Ghost.

Off the top of my head the Jets traded up for Duane Robertson, Nick Mangold, D Revis, David Harris, and Sanchez.

Last edited:

Thanks, Gunny. Appreciate your opinion and your good sense of humor to go where everyone gives you crap.

Looking forward to the real games. I know it'll be fun for you to see Sanchez develop, and it'll be fun for us to watch him lose while he does. :)

All in all, I think most Jets fans overrate their defense based on the names they brought in. The additions of Scott, Leonhard, Sheppard and coach Rex Ryan automatically make Jets fans think their defense will be exactly like the Ravens defense. Sorry but last time I checked Vernon Gholston is not Terrell Suggs, Kerry Rhodes while good and productive, is not Ed Reed, Shaun Ellis is not Haloti Ngata, and Leonhard is not Dawan Landry. Bart Scott is not the vocal leader Ray Lewis is either. Just because you bring over two guys from the Ravens and the Defensive Coordinator doesn't mean you have a great defense. You need great personnel to have a great defense, not great names on paper.

First of all, lets get this out: The JETS Defense is better than the Patriots!

Second of all: Haloti Ngata is a nose tackle...so comparing him to Shaun Ellis is wrong. Haloti Ngata is NOT Kris Jenkins. Which one made the pro-bowl and which one didn't?
Oh and by the way Shaun Ellis = Richard Seymour.

Third of all: NO safety is Ed Reed (Sorry Troy P & Bob Sanders). But I know you would kill to have Kerry Rhodes on YOUR team.

Fourth of all...Gholston, while starting the first four games, is not the starter; Calvin Pace is. Now lets compare stats: Suggs (69 tackles/8 sacks/2 INT's/2 FF/9PD/2 Def TD's) Pace (80 Tackles/7 sacks/0 INT/5 FF/3 PD/1 Def TD). I call that a PUSH!

Can't argue Landry & Leonhard. Comparing Ray Lewis to Bart Scott is unfair. Mean ol' Pats fan.

First of all, lets get this out: The JETS Defense is better than the Patriots!

Second of all: Haloti Ngata is a nose tackle...so comparing him to Shaun Ellis is wrong. Haloti Ngata is NOT Kris Jenkins. Which one made the pro-bowl and which one didn't?
Oh and by the way Shaun Ellis = Richard Seymour.

Third of all: NO safety is Ed Reed (Sorry Troy P & Bob Sanders). But I know you would kill to have Kerry Rhodes on YOUR team.

Fourth of all...Gholston, while starting the first four games, is not the starter; Calvin Pace is. Now lets compare stats: Suggs (69 tackles/8 sacks/2 INT's/2 FF/9PD/2 Def TD's) Pace (80 Tackles/7 sacks/0 INT/5 FF/3 PD/1 Def TD). I call that a PUSH!

Can't argue Landry & Leonhard. Comparing Ray Lewis to Bart Scott is unfair. Mean ol' Pats fan.

My mistake on Ellis, I don't know why I wrote Shaun Ellis I meant to say Jenkins. I know Jenkins was good last year but I'd rather have Ngata. Jenkins wore down last year and Ngata is younger so he will stay fresher. The reason I used Gholston as a comparison to Suggs is because Pace is out for the first month of the season, so Gholston will likely be starting at OLB. Rhodes is a good player but I'll take Meriweather and Sanders/Chung over Rhodes and Leonhard anyday. I think Meriweather will have a better season than Rhodes.

I think the Pats defense will actually be better than the Jets this year but we will see. We don't have a Revis at CB but I think our depth at CB is better. I think the addition of Burgess is also going to help a lot.
Good to talk football with you! :)

Last edited:

My mistake on Ellis, I don't know why I wrote Shaun Ellis I meant to say Jenkins. I know Jenkins was good last year but I'd rather have Ngata. Jenkins wore down last year and Ngata is younger so he will stay fresher. The reason I used Gholston as a comparison to Suggs is because Pace is out for the first month of the season, so Gholston will likely be starting at OLB. Rhodes is a good player but I'll take Meriweather and Sanders/Chung over Rhodes and Leonhard anyday. I think Meriweather will have a better season than Rhodes.

I think the Pats defense will actually be better than the Jets this year but we will see. We don't have a Revis at CB but I think our depth at CB is better. I think the addition of Burgess is also going to help a lot.
Good to talk football with you! :)

Likewise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back