Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT/Clemens To Become The new Whipping Boy

Discussion in 'Red Sox Fan Forum' started by BigMike, Feb 6, 2008.

1. BigMike

BigMike PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

As Roger perjures himself, with Congressional testimony, ESPN and the media have a new whipping boy. Thank goodness.
  2. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

You wouldn't believe how happy I was when Bobby Knight resigned on Tuesday and became the new top story.

And now Clemens/NCAA/NBA will at least dim down the Pats attention during the off-season.
  3. RIVA Pats Fan

RIVA Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Can the Globe or ProJo put an * next to the Yankees in the standing now?
  4. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +414 / 5 / -9

#61 Jersey

GET THIS GARBAGE OFF THE FOOTBALL FORUM! NOBODY CARES!!!

Moderators, please!
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  5. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Sorry, but I can see the link to the Patriots situation very easily here. The thread deals with Spygate and how other stories can get it off the top of the news.

If it dealt with the intricate details of those stories, then I would be inclined to move it.

Sorry, it's just a judgement call. If any anyone else feels differently, I respect that.
  6. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +414 / 5 / -9

#61 Jersey

Peripheral at best, Shmessy. It's already drawing baseball posts, and is totally unrelated to Specter's crusade.
    :bricks:
  7. shmessy

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

....and Bobby Knight posts.

I understand, and it's a tough call, but if it veers into becoming merely a thread about one off topic subject without any real connection to the Pats, "I'll be the first to move it" (sounding passive-aggressively like Shula ;).

But as I see it (and I could be completely wrong, I understand) it looks like a thread saying, "Hey, there are some other stories that may get Spygate out of the headlines, whew!".
  8. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I think it's a good discussion to have and it definitely relates to the Pats. Someone always needs to be the focal point of everyone's hatred and anger and the media will oblige.

I honestly don't know how BB or any human being could be built to cope with being the national focus of so much negative energy.
  9. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +414 / 5 / -9

#61 Jersey

I've wondered that myself, but then the answer comes pretty quickly: He is able to insulate himself. He has an inner circle of strong supporters, including Kraft, and has the ways and means (he's a rich man) to "get away from it all" when he feels the need.
  10. shmessy

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

The only part of SB week that I thought went over the line was on SB morning when Arlen Specter went on National TV and Radio calling for Tom Brady to be brought into Washington to explain himself. Anyone wonder why he didn't mention BB? Because he was TRYING TO INFLUENCE THE GAME. BB would have been a far more direct person to investigate, but Arlen wanted to influence the game.

THAT was messing with a QB's head on the day of the big game, and was beyond the pale. Honestly, I can't believe the media isn't in an uproar over that obvious abuse of power.
  11. aluminum seats

aluminum seats Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

The thread is perfectly appropriate--I turned on espn radio for a minute this morning and they were talking about Clemens and I thought the exact same thing. The sad reality is had the Patriots won there would have been a frantic search for something to throw against the Pats. Since they lost, nobody cares anymore. It's damn cold comfort, but at least that crap is going away.
  12. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +354 / 6 / -8

#75 Jersey

As much as it doesn't belong here, it belongs less in congress.

None of this is the business of the government, so I think it affects us until the Congress is shamed into doing their jobs instead of meddling in games.
  13. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Pedro Martinez is chipping in too in taking some attention away from the Pats. He and Juan Marichal apparently "introduced" a rooster or two into the ring at a ****fight in the Dominican Republic yesterday. It's all the rage on the talk radio I get in CA. "Why isn't this similar to Michael Vick's involvement in dogfighting, blah, blah, blah".
  14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

The thread appropriately points out that the media survives by ruining, to the best of their ability,
    people's lives and that guilty until proven innocent is their creed and the lifeblood of their industry.

Belichick and the Patriots will always be labeled as cheaters by the haters ... the media has ensured it.
  15. BigMike

BigMike PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That was my intent - its time for the witch hunt media to move on to their next soap opera. I mean enough of Walsh! The Pats lost and hte season is over!