PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Braylon Edwards arrested with DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious about why personal conduct offenses and substance abuse offenses accompanied by arrest are considered entirely separate.

Never mind NFL rules, isn't he in danger of violating the terms of his probation with this?

I'm curious about why personal conduct offenses and substance abuse offenses accompanied by arrest are considered entirely separate.

The players association when they were building the CBA wanted to make sure that players with substance problems were given an opportunity to get help, without the NFL being able to drop the hammer on them and end their careers. If Braylon had caused an accident or injured someone or ran from the police, it would have allowed the NFL to treat it as a personal conduct issue. Who knows what other details might surface and this could become a personal conduct issue eventually.

Last edited:
:yeahthat: lol

And the same old question comes up; WHY don't these guys just use a driver, a limo, a cab, anything but drive themselves in the wee hours of the morning? :cool:

Apparently this isn't Edwards' first run-in with The Law (from the article):

The substance abuse policy is seperate and distinct from the personal conduct policy although the consequences for violating one and/or the other can overlap. If you are in the substance abuse policy you don't have to be arrested to go from level one to level two. That can be based purely on testing or even circumstance.

Edwards was already on the personal conduct policy radar for the assault incident he pled out in cleveland (and may still be on probation for). This is a second arrest that just happens to be for DUI (with the likely premise that alcohol was involved in the first incident - ergo he may already be in the pee in a cup program depending on whether drinking was part of his excuse in pleading out the last incident). He's in line for discipline from the commishioner on the basis of a second arrest alone. Although being a JET may mitigate that circumstance...

Kevin Faulk was suspended for one game in 2008 for being ticketed by a rent a cop at a concert for possession (joint in a jacket pocket he claimed was not his) although he voluntarily submitted to testing and tested negative... Turned out to be a costly one game suspension...

i think you are right
If you are talking about the thing that happen in cle

Did the NFL get involved in that. I believe they looked at it but didn't hand down anything. Not sure how it works in that case. This I'm not sure of.

Did the NFL get involved in that. I believe they looked at it but didn't hand down anything. Not sure how it works in that case. This I'm not sure of.

this is his second time getting in trouble with the law so they should do something about it

Last edited:
If I am Edwards, I want any suspension this year with the possibility of being an UFA next year. His value goes down if he has a suspension hanging over his head especially if by the start of free agency, Goodell hasn't levied his suspension. Edwards can ask for a fast ruling from the NFL. It will be interesting to see if he puts his long term needs over the needs of the Jets this year. Him playing out the year could cost him millions if he has an half year to year suspension hanging over his head as a free agent.

Edwards played the Ravens game for free. He was fined a game check. A second infraction in a year is definitely going to net him a suspension though. If he is lucky, it is only a four gamer. But this is the third time he has been in trouble with the league, so it could be 6-8 games or more.

The court record is suddenly not available, so we'll have to wait and see if the terms of his probation come out.

Public Access - General Index

For anyone that's interested, fellow WR Jericho Cotchery spoke about the arrest on WFAN this morning. Here's the link. He also talks about how things went on Sunday with the approach to the Patriots game following that awful loss to the Ravens.

Here's the audio link:http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http://nyc.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d0/dV/dM/dJ/d4/VMJ4_3.MP3%3Fauthtok%3D5561252852704147895_1dDnne8kPI2h2lr6FH6WgVgqfw&podcast_name=Jets+-+Jerricho+Cotchery&podcast_artist=&station_id=62&tag=pages&dcid=CBS.NY

Last edited:
That would be called Karma ladies and gentlemen.

Looks like he will have plenty of time to practice his taunting celebrations on the next few sundays hahahaha....clown

Now Boomer, the ex-Jet is going off and getting all self righteous about it. He has his voice raised a little and saying,"Well, if I was the Jets front office, I'd say see ya!"

Oh really? After that ridiculous performance on Sunday? With Rex and his rogue bunch of outlaws? They don't give a crap wtf anyone does off field if they're producing. Uhh... Cromarte anyone? The guy fits right in, for crissakes.

This just adds to the Jets rag-tag Jersey image. Who cares? Just win, baby. That's every NFL team's mantra. They'll just tell Edwards to keep his nose clean in the interim. They'll just give him a lecture and let the NFL front offices deal with it.

If it was Randy Moss, would I care? No.

Whatever. Just make sure yer sober come game time.

Most people turned into a friggin' lynch mob going after Dante Stallworth. I can't wait for all the holier than tho's to come outta the woodwork and give their 2 cents on this latest b.s.

People are imperfect. They're gonna do whatever they're gonna do. Edwards got a dui? Big deal. Whatever. Must be a slow news day. Ain't gonna effect The Jets much whether he stays or goes, or is suspended anyway. It probably won't change their win-loss record.

Boomer and Carton are the worst sports show around. Carton is a loud mouth who plays a very tired character and Boomer acts like mother Theresa.

Add in the fact that Carton was reporting a guaranteed NFL suspension that would most likely be 4 games when upon further investigation the much much more likely situation is being placed is a fine with no suspension.

Braylon Edwards, arrested for a DWI earlier in the day, was released without bail Tuesday afternoon.
Edwards, who reportedly had Vernon Gholston and D'Brickashaw Ferguson in the car with him at the time of his arrest, is due back in court on Nov. 9. Several Jets players have expressed disappointment for Edwards' "selfishness and disregard for a team with Super Bowl aspirations." The Jets are reportedly considering holding Edwards out of this week's game at Miami.

-rotoworld

Wasn't Vernon expected to do big things by Rexy???... at least he was not the driver, but volunteering to get into a car with a drunk friend is just as stupid..

Bunch of idiots on that team except for LT. But look at how their coach acts... It all starts with him.

Last edited:
Damn. He couldn't have done this before game 2 instead. *shrugs* oh well. Can we say Headcase?
Oh and Santonio Holmes will join the Jets in week 5. Double the primadonna receivers and lack of discipline!
Will Tubby's head explode?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes