PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Anyone recall the other two bad passes by Manning in the 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedogc

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
There has been some debate as to the reason for Mannings 4th qtr pick-6 last night. Some say it was Mannings fault, some say it was Waynes fault and some are saying it was just a great play by Porter. I say it was a combination of all three. However, I have not heard much talk about the two other Manning passes that were almost picked off in the 4th qtr.

On the same drive of the pick-6, he nearly had a pass picked of by Malcom Jenkins. Its was a slant route to Wayne to the sideline that Jenkins was about a 1/2 step away from getting, and if he did he may have taken it to the house as well.

And on the final drive Manning nearly had a pass picked off by Greer in the endzone. Only reason it wasnt was because Garcon interfered with him.

So for those who dont think Manning is to blame, he clearly had a poor 4th qtr last night.

Re: Anyone recall the other two bad passes by Manning in the 4th?

The sideline pass thrown wide so that Jenkins could not pick it, or would have had to make an amazing catch. I didn't think it was a bad throw because if it's thrown anywhere else it IS picked.

The pick-six was entirely his fault IMO (and yeah a great play by Porter). Not sure what Wayne really could have done. But that one is on Peyton 100% and it was a terrible, lethal mistake.

Then he had 4 chances from inside the 5 and couldn't put it in the end zone.

I don't think he had a poor 4th quarter, but he had a very poor final 5 minutes. I caught alot of flack in the other thread for saying it, but I think he had a great game up until that pick.

Last edited:

Patsy is right, Peyton had a very a good game until that point. However, his performance reminds me of the kid who spent all night preparing for his science project demonstration, spends hours preparing, everything is going well, then in the grand finale it all falls apart. Peyton choked it away, straight up cost his team the game.

When you're in the Super Bowl, and you're behind, and the defense is flooding the pass zones with defenders because they don't respect your running game, and your offensive line is losing the battle against four pass rushers, it's incredibly tough to make passes. Even the passes he made (to Dallas clark, for one) were incredibly well defended, and on the other, his guy Collie had to push off just to get open.

That being said, Brady has been behind very late in the Super Bowl twice before without the defense respecting the running game (Panthers and Giants) and he came through just fine.

Lets give the Saints D some credit. They give our offense a rough night too.

It's easy to say 'Peytons a CHOKER!!!!!' but that saints D has been good all year, forcing turnovers, making plays.

I think they may have figured how to stop these spread the field attacks too. In both the Colts/Pats game they didn't care at all if they run on them. I mean, they played a 3-man line against the Colts.

Drop everyone into coverage, mix up the blitz, let them run all they want, because they can easily hit a 60 yard pass on you, but a 60 yard run? No chance.

caldwell was too much chicken to stick with running it, even when it was killing the saints

if we were running that effectively BB would keep doing it....caldwell didnt have the guts to take the ball from mannings hand, cuz the loss would be on the coach's shoulders....

now its on manning

The sideline pass thrown wide so that Jenkins could not pick it, or would have had to make an amazing catch. I didn't think it was a bad throw because if it's thrown anywhere else it IS picked.

The pick-six was entirely his fault IMO (and yeah a great play by Porter). Not sure what Wayne really could have done. But that one is on Peyton 100% and it was a terrible, lethal mistake.

It was not his fault.. it was just excellent homework on the part of Porter sitting on that stack knowing Manning's insurance is to go slant out on 3rd and short.

This was in fact the same route that Asante Samuel jumped in the '06 AFC game.

I said this in another thread that has now been moved to never-never land. And I suspect this thread will be moved as well.

Then he had 4 chances from inside the 5 and couldn't put it in the end zone.

I don't think he had a poor 4th quarter, but he had a very poor final 5 minutes. I caught alot of flack in the other thread for saying it, but I think he had a great game up until that pick.

That sideline pass was a bad pass.

And Manning took the gas pipe in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Actually, the almost pic by Jenkins totally reminded me of one of the pics Law had in 2004 in the AFC chapionship. jenkins undercut the slant and Manning underthrew. Almost a great diving play by Jenkins.

There has been some debate as to the reason for Mannings 4th qtr pick-6 last night. Some say it was Mannings fault, some say it was Waynes fault and some are saying it was just a great play by Porter. I say it was a combination of all three. However, I have not heard much talk about the two other Manning passes that were almost picked off in the 4th qtr.

On the same drive of the pick-6, he nearly had a pass picked of by Malcom Jenkins. Its was a slant route to Wayne to the sideline that Jenkins was about a 1/2 step away from getting, and if he did he may have taken it to the house as well.

And on the final drive Manning nearly had a pass picked off by Greer in the endzone. Only reason it wasnt was because Garcon interfered with him.

So for those who dont think Manning is to blame, he clearly had a poor 4th qtr last night.
Porter definitely did his homework but it looked to me like Manning never took his eyes off Wayne.

I remember thinking the same thing about the slant route, that Jenkins would have picked it if it had been on target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes