PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oops: Revis preparing for holdout

Status
Not open for further replies.
NFL network now saying Revis will NOT holdout from camp.

The potential holdout could cut into the guaranteed portion of his remaining contract.

NFL.com news: Contract option will compel Revis to attend Jets' camp

"If Revis were to miss any mandatory time due to a holdout, however, he might lose the guranteed portion of the contract. He would then be under contract for two more years, at $5 million in 2011 and $15 million in 2012. That potential guarantee is something he would not want to risk."

Let me ask the obvious question here. If Revis is looking for $16 mil/season, and in 2 years thru that expected contract he'd stand to make roughly $32 million, why is he expected to be worried about losing $6 million? This team has a contract in place scheduled to pay a player roughly $20 mil when the player is looking for closer to $50 million. The only reason Revis would be considering NOT holding out is because he's just received a guarantee from the team that they'll draw up a BRAND NEW CONTRACT. He isnt stepping foot in camp for any other reason.

I would guess that they could just gut him and not have to pay him that 20 million.

Buti don't pretend to know why people ***** about millions of dollars to paly a game a lot of us would play for free or even the minimum

I would guess that they could just gut him and not have to pay him that 20 million.

Buti don't pretend to know why people ***** about millions of dollars to paly a game a lot of us would play for free or even the minimum

But you wouldnt play if for free or the minimum for one team if another team was offering you 15million a year.
Its easy to say someone that no one is offering millions to wouldn't care about the millions, but kind of out of touch with reality to say that any person in society isn't going to care that they are as financially sound as can be.
Revis has the chance to set his family up for generations, why would he ever think he has enough when there is more to be had? If you were set for life, wouldn't you want more so you could set your children up for life, then their children........

the only 'loss' would be protection from injury risk, which would make him no worse off than a franchised player.

So if your livelihood rested on playing 32 NFL games, you'd hold out an entire season risking a loss of $20 million at the sheer chance to get a better deal.

And in the same holdout, alienate your team, both management and players.

I understand how you all want this to go down but it makes no sense in reality.

Revis will have a new deal or he'll show up to camp unhappy about his contract but as most of you pointed out, with an ego like his it's not like he's going to take a step back.

Would you be worried about Mankins missing a block on purpose to sacrifice Brady? lol.

So if your livelihood rested on playing 32 NFL games, you'd hold out an entire season risking a loss of $20 million at the sheer chance to get a better deal.

I have no dog in the fight, and I hate contract squabbles that ruin the games for the fans. I know that holdouts don't generally alienate the player from his teammates, almost never alienate the core fan base in the long run, and are frequently very successful when done by the top level talent.

The question for Revis is whether he feels the long term gain would be worth the short term risk. It's a personal choice, but to say it makes no sense is asinine.

Revis will have a new deal or he'll show up to camp unhappy about his contract but as most of you pointed out, with an ego like his it's not like he's going to take a step back.

Would you be worried about Mankins missing a block on purpose to sacrifice Brady? lol.

He isnt looking at 20mill, hes looking at 100mill.
Players hold out all the time. Its easy to look at what they forfeit by holding out, but ultimately that never happens. Ultimately they are always either signed or traded.
Until a player is actually forced to sit out a season, they will never believe thats a possibility.
There is no doubt that Revis believes withholdin his services from the Jets is the most valuable card in the deck. The player always thinks that. Then when the player demands a trade they do it from the perspective that the team will have to trade them. From the players standpoint the team loses if they don't have the player or the trade value.
Point is if it were as simple as saying the player gets millions either way so he won't hold out, there would never be hold outs or the ones that do will fail. None ever really have.

BTW, its kind of funny to me that your ultimate answer to anyone who disagrees with you is that they fear or envy the Jets. Perhaps if your team had ever accomplished anything that may have some validity but the rest of the world sees the "Same Old Jets" and one playoff spot because the Colts forfieted isn't putting fear in the team of the just completed decade.

But you wouldnt play if for free or the minimum for one team if another team was offering you 15million a year.
Its easy to say someone that no one is offering millions to wouldn't care about the millions, but kind of out of touch with reality to say that any person in society isn't going to care that they are as financially sound as can be.
Revis has the chance to set his family up for generations, why would he ever think he has enough when there is more to be had? If you were set for life, wouldn't you want more so you could set your children up for life, then their children........

I think that is a crap arguement i agree that people need to look at furture generations but if you ahve 5-10 millin already then you are set for a couple generations ever 1-2 million you are set and once you are set then you are getting greedy.

I think that is a crap arguement i agree that people need to look at furture generations but if you ahve 5-10 millin already then you are set for a couple generations ever 1-2 million you are set and once you are set then you are getting greedy.

Dude what are you talking about? Sure if you want to live like you make $50,000 then 5 mill can last while, but are you seriously saying that a 25 year old guy who has 50 or more years to live is all set with 5-10mill?
10,000,000 divided by 50 years is 200,000 per year.
At an average rate of inflation (5%) here is what 200,000 would be the equivalent of in todays dollars at various ages for this guy

39 100,000
53 50,000
67 25,000
81 12,500

If you have 10mill and expect to live 50 more year by the time you die you live at the lifestyle that someone making less than 10 bucks an hour lives at today.

Or going in reverse, 56 years ago if you had a half million dollars that would be the equivalent of 10,000,000 today. Are you telling me someone with 500,000 in 1954 could have retired at 25 years old and many future generations would be set for life?

We haven't even talked about the difference in lifestyle.

Your flawed analysis assumes 0% investment growth on the principal

As always the key metric is growth vs inflation rate

Last edited:

Yes but it also assumes that a 25 year old with 10,000,000 in the bank lives like he only makes 200k.

It was only intended to show that clearly 10,000,000 wont last generations unless you want to live a very frugal lifestyle.

Alo, you could say that $200,000 per is the earnings and there is no depletion of principal and you still have todays equivalent of 12500 in 56 years.

Yes but it also assumes that a 25 year old with 10,000,000 in the bank lives like he only makes 200k.

It was only intended to show that clearly 10,000,000 wont last generations unless you want to live a very frugal lifestyle.

Alo, you could say that $200,000 per is the earnings and there is no depletion of principal and you still have todays equivalent of 12500 in 56 years.

10 mill

@ a very conservative 4% yield via a Fidelity bond fund is $400K/year income

Live on anything less than $400K and you grow the principal or if your yield is higher like now in reality you grow

Adjust for inflation

At $400K you can afford a 7 figure home and a 'nice' lifestyle

This assumes you do NOTHING for the next decades and that you get NO social security or NFL pension

I think most of us here lived the last decade like we make much less than $200K

Last edited:
10 mill

Live on anything less than $400K and you grow the principal or if your yield is higher like now in reality you grow

Adjust for inflation

This assumes you do NOTHING for the next decades and that you get NO social security or NFL pension

I'm not saying he couldn't get by. Although if it were the last 10 years he wouldn't have earned 4mill on his money, he would have lost money.

The argument wasn't whether he could survive on it. The argument was that wanting more is only greedy.
You do agree that a person who is paid 10,000,000 a year will find enjoyment in providing a lifestyle for his family that costs more than 200k-400k right?

What was being argue is that someone who has the scenario you just laid out should shut up and turn down any more. There are levels and levels of lifestyle improvement beyond what living the rest of your life on a 10,000,000 stake would allow.

By the way, I reaziled later he actually started out by saying 5-10 mill would be enough for GENERATIONS then said 1-2 mill is enough.

I think we can also agree that if Darelle Revis i paid 10mill this year he will not invest it and limit his lifestyle to living off the 400,000 investment return, right? We do know that he will but a multi-mill house, many car, lots of bing, yada, yada, yada... We can say he shouldn't but he clearly would like to. I think its fair to say he would would find a way to spend 1mill a year and enjoy his life more than spending 400k if that 10mill were raised up to 25mill right?

10 mill

Adjust for inflation

Also if thats that, you must account for inflation and 400k of income 40 years from now will be about the equivalent of $50,000 today.

I dont think you will find anyone out there that if you told them when they if they accept the money they have, dont try to get more, they will be able to live at 65 like they would today with 50k of income, they would jump up an down and stop accumulationg wealth, much less think they have set up their family for generations.
(there is no principal appreciation if you live on the 400k.. Its all moot anyway because we know athletes that make 10,000,000 a year spend closer to 400k a month than 400k a year)

this issue with it is this after the first few million you are greedy most people in the world live good normal lives and probably end up making a total of 1-2 million in their entire lifetime aand still have money left for the future generations. I have no issues with althletes making millions of dollars cause only about 1700 people have the talent ot do it in any given year. But to hold out to get more money when you are already owed multimillion dollars that is an issue. just play out the contract do your best and then make your money and if you get hurt and can't do it the guess what you are not one of the elite 1700 and you need to plan for that and if you can't adapt then oh well you deserve what ever you get for that.

And yes I'd feel the same for any partiots that would pull that crap.

as much as I would miss football if there is strike/lockout we need a fan revolt to let owners and players that we pay for them and they need to relize that

Last edited:
this issue with it is this after the first few million you are greedy most people in the world live good normal lives and probably end up making a total of 1-2 million in their entire lifetime aand still have money left for the future generations. I have no issues with althletes making millions of dollars cause only about 1700 people have the talent ot do it in any given year. But to hold out to get more money when you are already owed multimillion dollars that is an issue.

It's no different than auto workers, electricians, teachers, plumbers or any other 'regular' workers striking for higher pay. Stop looking at the dollar amounts, because they are completely irrelevant.

this issue with it is this after the first few million you are greedy most people in the world live good normal lives and probably end up making a total of 1-2 million in their entire lifetime aand still have money left for the future generations. I have no issues with althletes making millions of dollars cause only about 1700 people have the talent ot do it in any given year. But to hold out to get more money when you are already owed multimillion dollars that is an issue. just play out the contract do your best and then make your money and if you get hurt and can't do it the guess what you are not one of the elite 1700 and you need to plan for that and if you can't adapt then oh well you deserve what ever you get for that.

And yes I'd feel the same for any partiots that would pull that crap.

as much as I would miss football if there is strike/lockout we need a fan revolt to let owners and players that we pay for them and they need to relize that

I just dont understand why you think there is something bad about someone wanting a better lifestyle?
You said people live a good life making 1-2 mill in ther lifetime.
If you work 40 year (like most) thats 25,000-50,000 a year.
That is a very modest lifestyle.
I am just not understanding why you feel there is something wrong with wanting to have the nicest house, or buy the best things for your family or not have to worry about money.
You seem to be portraying that someone happy with a few bucks and a financial struggle is somehow more morally correct than someone who will strive to get everything they can and live the best lifestyle they can imagine.
Personally, I don't care which side of that anyone is on, but I don't know why people feel their feelings about someone elses attitude toward their own wealth are better than that persons.

I think we can also agree that if Darelle Revis i paid 10mill this year he will not invest it and limit his lifestyle to living off the 400,000 investment return, right? We do know that he will but a multi-mill house, many car, lots of bing, yada, yada, yada... We can say he shouldn't but he clearly would like to. I think its fair to say he would would find a way to spend 1mill a year and enjoy his life more than spending 400k if that 10mill were raised up to 25mill right?

=======================================

Revis seems to be a different sort, I have seen some UTubes of him and his friends goofing around at his place in,,, I assume the NY NJ area, looks like a mid level town house, sparsely furnitured not large or to upscale a few 50" big screens. He doesen't wear much bling, his friends do not look like thugs, struck me as a man frugal with his money and certainly not showing it off.

My impression is he is a shrewd man with some smarts, the anti thug.

=======================================

Revis seems to be a different sort, I have seen some UTubes of him and his friends goofing around at his place in,,, I assume the NY NJ area, looks like a mid level town house, sparsely furnitured not large or to upscale a few 50" big screens. He doesen't wear much bling, his friends do not look like thugs, struck me as a man frugal with his money and certainly not showing it off.

My impression is he is a shrewd man with some smarts, the anti thug.
I wasnt commenting about the type of guy he is. I guarantee that anyone making 10mill a year isnt going to live like they make 400,000. 400,000 is a good living, but well below how you would live if you make 10mill a year.
If you make 10mill a year, and are a level headed person, you can basically go where you want, buy what you want for who you want, and do everything in style and leave enough to last a lifetime if you make that much over a 6-7 year contract. At 400,000 you have to pay attention to what you spend. You still can spend a lot, but the 'is it worth that much' comes way, way earlier.

You guys are both engaging in flawed analysis. These athletes aren't thinking about long term investing strategies, the rate of inflation and how to maximize their net worth.

They're thinking "Hey, #24 for Miami makes more than me but I am better than him - I want me mo' money!"

If the highest paid player at his position was making $800,000, then Revis would be ecstatic with $1 million. But since $1 million is ridiculously low compared to others at the same position, he is angry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back