PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cimini: "Jets won battle for Revis... did Pats win the war?" (hint: yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their CB situation is so much better now than I expected it to be in September. Adding Roberts in with Coleman and Johnson gives them good young depth to develop. Even then however I think they need to add more talent because their primary competition in the AFC next season will be Pitt and their WR corps talented and deep. If they can grab a decent vet in FA and a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd round I will feel much better about it.
If the JMac rumors had any truth to them it would be nice to add another quality CB in the mix we have right now. That would probably make it a top 5 secondary in both talent and depth.

Sammy Watkins beat Revis like a rented mule.
Since Peyton is likely done after this year, maybe Revis can have Ashley order up some HGH for him and have someone pick it up. He'll need it if he wasn't actually hurt this year and/or is on the decline. Even Revis at 80% is better than 80% of all CB's in the league. Let's hope the $ saved goes to JCollins; Dont'a; CJones (not a big loss if he goes, as we have reinforcements unlike at LB) and other upcoming FA's.

The Jets almost made the playoffs, a vast improvement from last year. Revis was one of the pieces that helped improve the Jets. Was he worth 16m? Not to the Pats but it may well have breathed new life into the Jets. In the long run the Pats got the best of that but the Jets didn't do that bad. The major improvement was Rex leaving and the Jets getting a better coach.

Their CB situation is so much better now than I expected it to be in September. Adding Roberts in with Coleman and Johnson gives them good young depth to develop. Even then however I think they need to add more talent because their primary competition in the AFC next season will be Pitt and their WR corps talented and deep. If they can grab a decent vet in FA and a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd round I will feel much better about it.

.....or just keep Tarrel Brown who was a very nice pickup and extremely good before getting IR'ed.

Honestly, why in the world does one need to screw around with a CB pool of Butler-Ryan-Brown-Coleman-Johnson-Roberts????? 5 of those 6 have less than 3 seasons in the pros and all of them are doing pretty well and on an upward trajectory. The Pats are in a great position with CB.

There ARE going to be areas to address on this team this offseason (depth LB, WR, RB, maybe OL). CB is not one of them.

Last edited:
The Jets almost made the playoffs, a vast improvement from last year. Revis was one of the pieces that helped improve the Jets. Was he worth 16m? Not to the Pats but it may well have breathed new life into the Jets. In the long run the Pats got the best of that but the Jets didn't do that bad. The major improvement was Rex leaving and the Jets getting a better coach.

Yes, but Revis is on the downside and won't be as good in succeeding years.

The Jets shot their load in 2015 and didn't even get a playoff for it.

OMG, some of those posts are PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!

......especially ol' reliable Kraft hater - FCB02062 (a Poor Man's version of Patrodomous/Interception):

post #152:
"Pats went from top 3 defense in Afc to garbage in one day. Utterly shocking and I hope krafty Bob can explain this one away...perhaps (and I hope) they know there would be exceptional compensation r.e. tampering shohld Regis sign w nyj....super bowl play and all I don't think Butler's ready to be a #1 corner...."

Post #523;
"I can't wait to hear what the Pats "leak" to Reiss/Schefter for damage control. Also, what the F is plan B? Trade for Darius Butler? Ras I Dowling available? Terrence Wheatley's a free agent.....:mad:"

then the next day:

Chicken Littles... someone finds your lack of faith... | Page 6 | New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard
Post #101;
"Chicken Littles? So, the Pats have one of the BEST defensive players in the game and they let him go over a reported 4M in guaranteed money and if you're pissed off about it you're a chicken little? Seriously, Belichick and Krafty Bob don't fart rainbows and sh#t unicorns....they CAN be criticized, and now's as good a time as ever."
On second thought, maybe Krafty Bob needed that extra $4m to pay for his end zone luxury club....

Post#117;
"I suspect you're excited the Pats are going into next season sans their starting corners from a super bowl winning team with little left in free agency or trade? Yes we all know about the salary cap, etc., and no, I don't toe the Felger "cap is crap" line either, but when I and others see the dough handed to McCourty and then Browner and Revis shown the door it is hard to grasp. At least in the past there was a plan b - let welker go you have amendola; let talib walk grab revis...now? Let Browner and Revis go and you have....Logan Ryan? Logan Ryan should take the nickname "Toast" from Stacy Toran (rip)...."

......because when you are hysterical and angry, the first rule is to blame Kraft first for all of Belichick's personnel decisions that you cannot understand. :p

I'd forgotten about that Chicken Littles thread. Nothing like throwing chum on Negative-Nancy-infested waters. :D

We have a young groups of cornerbacks that are already exceeding expectations as well as Roberts who was impressing people before he got hurt. That's not the position I would like to see us use money or early picks to address. We could use another LB, but I want to see those resources spent on offense. We could upgrade at OG or upgrade over Cannon or Fleming at tackle. The O line was not strong enough this year. We could add another quick receiver as our offense really suffered when Edelman went down. We could upgrade over Lafell at outside receiver. We could also add a large RB as Blount did not look good this season. CB is not our top concern and like I said I'm looking forward to seeing what Roberts can do.

Last edited:
I don't see it as picking Butler over Revis. I think the most comparable player (as far as an addition having close to the same impact on the defense) is:

Sheard for $4mil >>>>>>> Revis for $16mil

If the JMac rumors had any truth to them it would be nice to add another quality CB in the mix we have right now. That would probably make it a top 5 secondary in both talent and depth.

Sure back at the trade deadline. But Johnson and Coleman have since proved to be very good

And in TC they will have Roberts and Brown back.

We have bigger fish to fry at other position groups. There IS a salary cap.

Is this even a serious article? Even if the Patriots lose this weekend and look weak in the secondary, there is absolutely no question the Jets overpaid for the services of Darrelle Revis. It has nothing to do with the Patriots any more; they elect to stop bidding on many free agents when the price gets too high and Revis was no exception. It has nothing to do with Malcolm Butler either, because even if the Patriots had a horrendous secondary, Belichick would still not have matched or come close to matching the ridiculous contract Revis got from the Jets. The analysis should be solely about the Jets and whether or not this was a good contract for them, and it's almost impossible to conclude it was.

As the article detailed, the Jets pass defense didn't even improve much from last season, we've seen that Revis no longer has close to the same impact he once had, and do you think the franchise might wish they'd had an additional $15M to spend this year and the next two years? And we aren't even in worst-case scenario territory yet because Revis is actually healthy. The downside to their deal was supposed to be that if Revis gets injured, they made a bad deal, but rather it is that they made a bad deal no matter what, and a Revis injury would just turn it into a crippling deal.

Yes, but Revis is on the downside and won't be as good in succeeding years.

The Jets shot their load in 2015 and didn't even get a playoff for it.

And their 5/$70m ($39m gtd) ($16m hit in '15, $17m hit in '16 at 31) 30 year old CB was a big reason why they choked the playoffs away.

If the jests were smart next year would be his last year. Cutting him in '17 saves $7m in '17, $9m in '18 and $10m in '19.

But it is dummy johnson, he's an idiot and the jests are a dumb organization so they will probably keep Revis for his whole deal and will probably extend him at 34.

Last edited:
I don't see it as picking Butler over Revis. I think the most comparable player (as far as an addition having close to the same impact on the defense) is:

Sheard for $4mil >>>>>>> Revis for $16mil

Yes, agree. I'd suggest that "Sheards" be a unit of measure that expresses cap cost vs. player value.
In other words, the Jests paid 4 Sheards for Revis and that was clearly an overpayment.

We have a young groups of cornerbacks that are already exceeding expectations as well as Roberts who was impressing people before he got hurt. That's not the position I would like to see us use money or early picks to address. We could use another LB, but I want to see those resources spent on offense. We could upgrade at OG or upgrade over Cannon or Fleming at tackle. The O line was not strong enough this year. We could add another quick receiver as our offense really suffered when Edelman went down. We could upgrade over Lafell at outside receiver. We could also add a large RB as Blount did not look good this season. CB is not our top concern and like I said I'm looking forward to seeing what Roberts can do.

I agree tackle is a need but imo they are set inside. I'm, fine with, them using their 2nd, on a tackle but still want them to bolster the secondary even more.

I f.cking hate corrective text.

I'll never bash Revis cause he did what he had in his players rights.

That said, he's gonna look back with a lot of regret if we win this year's superbowl.

Yes, agree. I'd suggest that "Sheards" be a unit of measure that expresses cap cost vs. player value.
In other words, the Jests paid 4 Sheards for Revis and that was clearly an overpayment.
4 Sheards would make for a pretty fun dline. :cool:

Revis has selfishly held that franchise captive now for 7 years or whenever he got his first big contract.

That's just a fact.

Blame it on Woody Johnson and Rex Ryan. And Revis can suck my taint, too. That little weasel called Brady a liar and cheater once he left here, the weasel user he is.

He's also wildly overpaid and overrated. 2009 was a long, long time ago and I look forward to Edelman abusing the daylights out of him this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back