PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One Wrong Decision and Your Team Is Ruined

Status
Not open for further replies.
PonyExpress said:
BB says Saban is a great coach. I believe him. But it might take Saban two years to overcome the Culpepper debacle.

you cant blame the dolphins for chasing culpepper instead of brees... brees came back from a major shoulder surgery....and culpepper came back from a knee surgery

saban made the safer choice to take culpepper b/c a qb throws the ball....so naturally, you take the qb that didnt have a major shoulder surgery

and culpepper has depended on his quickness in the pocket to make him a successful qb.......(also he had randy moss- which is why, in my opinion, culpepper had all that success in minnesota) and culpepper had a phenominal year in 04...he put up MVP number, if it wasnt for P.Manning's 49 tds in 04, culpepper wouldve won the MVP....

if the dolphin oline wasnt so bad, then culpepper wouldnt get sacked so many times, b/c his movement is very limited b/c of his knee surgery...

we never know.....say the dolphins sign brees instead of culpepper, then in one play....the oline collapses in the pocket, brees is rushed, throws the ball, and gets hit really hard.....season over for brees and dolphins just wasted a lot of money investing on brees....

GMs aren't paid to make the most logical decisions, but to make the right ones. There's a big difference, because being a great GM is an art and not a science. Conventional wisdom is often wrong, and the great GMs, the ones who build champions, don't adhere to conventional wisdom. Saban doesn't get to make excuses for passing on Brees. That's what losers do, in every line of work...

Last edited:
yeah but nothing is certain in this world....

its like the jets and colts game

i didnt see it, but i know that the jets had the ball late in the game and had like a 4th and 2 or w/e, and were in field goal range....instead mangini elected to go for the 1st down and was turned over on downs(i believe) at anyrate....jets lost by 3 points....what if mangini kicked the field goal?....

conventional thinking is to go for the field goal...get w/e points you can and move on....but mangini didnt go for conventional thinking, and went for the 1st down....and ironically lost by 3 points

and speaking of the jets....chad pennington was out for a long time b/c he came back from a big shoulder surgery....and then a few games into the new season, he gets a big hit on him, and then his season was over again....

what if dolphins signed brees and he got his, and reinjured his arm....his season is ended...and he has to wait another year for any chance of a comeback...

not to mention pennington had to come back to a 4 way competition for the starting QB job.....

you can say w/e you want...about making the right choice and making the sensible choice....but all i'm saying is....if they picked up brees....and he got another season ending injury....i couldve said..."the dolphins didnt make the right choice, and they didnt make the sensible choice...."

and for all we know, YOU couldve been supporting conventional thinking....

Last edited:
I'll agree that wrong decisions everywhere but QB, head coach, and GM can be overcome. Ownership can also be an insurmountable obstacle, but isn't really a decision.

QB is the one position where I feel it makes sense to go nuts in an attempt to acquire a good one. I'd sign a franchised Manning or Brady and pay two 1sts for them. If I was a team like the Dolphins, sitting at 16th in the draft, I'd have traded up to draft Leinart (as close to a sure thing as comes out of college). Maybe the 2 they traded for Culpepper would have gotten it done. If not you give up next years 1. QB is just too important.

And I'm onboard with "Joey is a failure" and I'd rather have a guy who might actually be a starter one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft