Welcome to PatsFans.com

One thing about all this tumult

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Oswlek, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,567 / 4 / -5

1. Re 2001, I referred specifically to the SB against the Rams, where our secondary punished the Rams receivers and we pressured and rattled Warner, throwing the "greatest show on turf" off of their rhythm. Similarly, in 2003-2004 the Colts offense was considered unstoppable by many, and we physically beat them up, punished their receivers, and rattled Peyton. I don't see much similarity between our defensive play in the first 2 games and those performances. Admittedly, those performances came at the end of the season and not at the beginning, with a bunch of new players.

2. A lot of people have suggested that rule changes favoring the offense have made it difficult for us to play the kind of physical style that we played in 2003-2004. But the Giants and Steelers, who have won 3 out of the past 4 SBs, are exactly that kind of physical, aggressive, punishing defensive team. If anything, I think the rule changes require a more aggressive defensive approach as opposed to a BBDB approach.

I agree with you about injuries and unfamiliarity impacting the game plan. I am hopeful that "all will be well", but I'm not 100% sure that the coaching staff will adjust as quickly as the players will. I'd like to see a few more games before forming a judgment. I think the players have the capability to make this a special defense. Whether the coaches use them effectively is another matter.

2. BradyManny

BradyManny Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +101 / 4 / -0

This is a good point - for all the talk about the rule changes, we've seen Pats receivers get manhandled by Rex Ryan defenses twice now, and the refs just sit there and let them play. The Pats have two corners who like playing physical, Bodden & Springs, and they might be able to get away with some of the borderline stuff that teams have used against us in the past few years.

The truth is, even with the rules, the refs are much less likely to call illegal contact than they are a blatant PI downfield, even if the illegal contact changes the outcome of the play just as much. Heck, they probably could've called 1-3 illegal contacts on the Jets the other day per play if they wanted to. It seemed like their DBs were draped on our guys.

3. captain stone

captain stone Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +271 / 51 / -28

No Jersey Selected

There might be a couple of potential roadblocks, which did not appear last season, against our running game this season:
    Firstly, we no longer have a full-time FB. Sammy Morris is first (and only) in line for that position, and try as I'm sure he has (and will), he's just not made to be the bowling ball behind which to run as I would prefer. I hear this Heath Evans for NO is doing pretty well so far this year; why can't we get guys like that?
    Secondly, our schedule last season could not have been any easier. The NFCW & AFCW were the 2 worst divisions in football; we went 7-1 against them. We were done no favors this season, although Carolina, Tampa, Jax & prob. Houston should be solid victories.
    Thirdly, can our HC, OC, QB & OL simply flip the switch and create - and maintain - a running mentality, knowing full well that Mr. Bundchen is ready, willing & able to sling it 4 dozen times a game if he has to?

While I admit that we appear to be more athletic on defense, esp. in the secondary, I still have grave doubts about our ability to apply consistent pressure from the edges. Derrick Burgess has thus far given me no reason whatsoever to hope that his 3-year downward spiral in sacks will suddenly reverse this year.
    Think about this: our 2 primary pass-rushers are over 60 years old combined; our 2 primary (only?) Wide (not Slot) Receivers are over 65 years old. 2 of the 3 position groups that rely on speed/explosiveness more than any other group - CB being the 3rd - are fronted by players whose combined ages almost qualify them for Soc. Security benefits.

Is there talent here? Yes.
    Is there enough talent here to win, in spite of the stubbornness of the HC? No.
    Is there enough talent here to win, if the HC is willing to make whatever changes are neccessary to win? Maybe.

4. captain stone

Ratings:
    +271 / 51 / -28

No Jersey Selected

Even more frustrating is the realization that if Bill had coached vs. the Dolts & Jest like the best in the business, he would've won those games last year, too. Bill had to adapt because he didn't have the crutch of Tom Brady on which to lean. He also had the advantage of a creampuff schedule, too. Unfortunately, now that Brady is back, so is the same old same old...but without the creampuff schedule.

5. captain stone

Ratings:
    +271 / 51 / -28

No Jersey Selected

But are you really, really, really sure?

6. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

You make a great argument and I was thinking the same thing. However, I don't know if this group of Pats players can pull the same thing they did in '03 and '04.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.