PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One NFC assistant's take on Tavon Wilson (inside info)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, that's totally reasonable given that draft class, but it seems like a different issue. You're saying you didn't like the talent at QB in that particular draft and thought the available players were poor value in the middle rounds. If I understood jmt57 correctly, he was making a broader statement of draft philosophy: How much draft capital should you spend on a QB if you already have a franchise QB?

I would've been fine w/ KOC in the 5th round. After all, Cassel's contract expired after '08 and a replacement needed to be acquired. So in that regard, jmt & I may differ although we both agree that KOC at 94 was just awful. Before the pick was made, I had hoped for either NT/DT Red Bryant, FS Tyvon Branch (unlikely because of the Meriweather pick the year before), CB Justin King (unlikely because of the Wheatley pick), DE/DT Dre Moore, or maybe OLman Oniel Cousins.

I would've been fine w/ KOC in the 5th round. After all, Cassel's contract expired after '08 and a replacement needed to be acquired. So in that regard, jmt & I may differ although we both agree that KOC at 94 was just awful. Before the pick was made, I had hoped for either NT/DT Red Bryant, FS Tyvon Branch (unlikely because of the Meriweather pick the year before), CB Justin King (unlikely because of the Wheatley pick), DE/DT Dre Moore, or maybe OLman Oniel Cousins.

FWIW, I was all about Red Bryant at the time too. But...I have to say, I really don't get calling a pick you "would have been fine with" in the 5th round "just awful" at the very end of the 3rd. IMO the middle of the draft just isn't that exact a science.

My GOD I wish the Pats had taken Red Bryant with that pick. Ouch. That really hurts.

FWIW, I was all about Red Bryant at the time too. But...I have to say, I really don't get calling a pick you "would have been fine with" in the 5th round "just awful" at the very end of the 3rd. IMO the middle of the draft just isn't that exact a science.

V.a.l.u.e.

There were better prospects available at 94 who were no longer available at 153.
The risk/reward on someone like KOC was therefore more palatable at 153 than it was at 94.

FWIW, I was all about Red Bryant at the time too. QUOTE]

There's no doubt that BB has made some mistakes and missed out on some opportunities. He's not perfect. And 1-2 picks could have made an enormous difference. Bryant hurts, partly because BB really ignored the DL from 2005-2008. Jeremy Mincey was the only lineman taken during those 4 drafts. BB passed up on a bunch of guys who could have been anything from solid role players to impact players on defense:

- Justin Tuck (#74 in 2005). BB traded back from 64 and took Ellis Hobbs later in the 3rd round.
- LaMarr Woodley (#46 in 2007). BB took Meriweather at 24 and traded out of 28.
- Cliff Avril (#92 in 2008). BB took Shawn Crable instead at #78.
- Red Bryant in 2008. As discussed.
- Ahtyba Rubin (#190 in 2008). The Pats traded up to take STer Matt Slater, who obviously has been a very good STer. But Rubin as a developmental NT behind Vince Wilfork would been great, and not boxed the Pats into a corner in 2009.

Not to mention passing on Connor Barwin in 2009, which shall forever live in infamy.

I pesonally think that BB got too locked in to the 3-4 2-gap model and a bit complacent in the Seymour-Wilfork-Warren years about continuing to build a pipeline on the DL. Jeremy Mincey, Shawn Crable and Kareem Brown were the only picks I can recall being spent on linemen in those 3 years - not exactly a stellar group, though Mincey's done well in Jacksonville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft