PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On to 2018 - Looking Forward [Mod Edit]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HailHydra

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
A tough end to a season where it seemed like we would win it all. Yet, we didn't and its hard to find a more worth opponent to lose to. But it's on to free agency.

In evaluation of the time, the offense was excellent. A team that scores 33 points (and potentially 4 more) should be given full opportunity to win the Super Bowl. When the offense puts up 600 yards against one of the best defenses in the league, there shouldn't be a problem. But there was. The defense was pitiful. It's something that has been masked by the points scored category, but I don't think anyone ever doubted that our team had a major weakness - an entire side of the field. We need a CB #2 who can play in the Super Bowl (as a mystery why Butler did not). Gilmore was the best player on the defense and I'm excited for his future with the team. The rest? Not so much. We also need major upgrades on our LB/DL core. I can't be sure whether Donta Hightower's arrival will fix that, but I don't think it will. When a Super Bowl contender is starting a 39 year old DE they just signed off the market, things don't look great (even if Harrison wasn't the problem, the necessity to start him is an issue). The New England Patriots need more youth and speed along that defensive line. Another key issue is coaching. I can't fault Josh McDaniels - his playcalling was the reason why we got back in the game, and were in the position to win it all. On the other end of the field, we let up numerous big gains, and there were a few other lucky plays that could have gone to haunt us. I'm overjoyed Matt Patricia is leaving. I think that we finally have a chance to support a feared defense like the one we faced in the last two games. In the beginning of the season, it certainly seemed like a possibility to host a top defense, but things never really came to fruition.

In terms of who we need to let go and re-sign, its tough. Malcolm Butler is long gone - he didn't play nearly as good as expected this year, and he ended his tenure with some drama. I hate that he didn't play in this game and truly believe that had he played, we would have won. BUT, that's only based on skill-level, and not on other incidents that may have been occurring. I'm sure that we'll learn more about this as the days progress.

Rex Burkhead is a guy that I want to return. He didn't play that much, but he made his time count. I'm a bit split on Dion Lewis. The Patriots didn't use him nearly as much during the Super Bowl, and it might be a predictor of how much they value him. A team could easily pay him around 4.5 million, and I don't think the Patriots are that team. Drafting a RB (especially with some recent finds in the draft near the 2nd and 3rd round) seems to be the better choice, especially with the level of trust NE has in James White. I think the Patriots resign Danny Amendola. At some point, both sides will have to move on, but Amendola was truly exceptional over the postseason, and throughout the year when needed. I'm not a big fan of resigning Solder - he's going to receive a hefty contract and I just don't think that the money he's gonna get is worth it. Among Fleming and Waddle, I would prefer Waddle since he was a solid RT during the season, but I hope that we can draft a new tackle for the future. In addition, I think that there's a few key cuts that the Patriots can make to increase their salary cap - one of which should be a TE. I remember the 2 TE days and the trouble that it created, but that's not this team. Allen won't be a catching threat, and Bennett raises more questions than necessary. I see some intrigue in Hollister.

There's so much to discuss for the upcoming free agency and NFL Draft. Our team has a bright future ahead of us, and there's so much potential that we have. The development of our 3 young WRs, creating a new defensive identity, and having excellent assets in the NFL draft is something to look forward to. We were criticized for our over aggressive offseason during the regular season, but I think that it set us up to win the Super Bowl - and we were just a handful of plays away from getting it done. I think next season will be one for the ages. The Patriots will have a fuel that has drived them in the past to the next level, and it isn't too difficult to say that it could again. There's only 364 days left until Super Bowl 53, and I guarantee that the Patriots will be better than ever.

Can we find a pass rush please? That should be one of the top priorities this offseason.

Leave the entire defensive BUMS in Minnesota. GTFO OF NEW ENGLAND.

The Patriots can make another run next year, but the there are serious holes in the D to plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back