PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ok, Ok, Ok..... Stevan Ridley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys remember former PFW in Progress guy Tom Casale?

I'm going to say something else I only want you to remember if I'm right: I think Ridley will end up being one of the best backs to come out of this draft class.

In my opinion, Ridley was the most underrated player in college football last season. Ridley ran for 1,147 yards and 15 touchdowns during his junior year. Those are good numbers for any running back playing in the SEC but they are even more impressive when you consider LSU's quarterback situation.

Stevan Ridley may emerge as best of Patriots running back corps - SI.com - Fantasy

He's slippery as hell, that's pretty clear. I think it's his burst that really makes him go though. He's a big back, yes, but he possesses really impressive acceleration. He's got elite pass rusher burst in a running back. I know how important burst is to backs but Ridley has an impressive kind for his size. He doesn't have homerun speed but he hits that speed in two steps. He looks like a 4.5 back, but I bet his ten yard split is out of this world.

If Vereen becomes what I believe he can be, the 2011 draft is going to be a 700 foot homerun.

Glad to see Ridley get more touches. We knew he was brewing to be something special during the preseason and training camp. He also looked pretty good but was mysteriously yanked from the Buffalo game after just a few carries. Glad the coaching staff decided to put together a more balanced offensive gameplan that got Ridley involved against Oakland.

BB doesnt care if youre a rookie. If you can produce and be effective in all phases of the game such as running, catching, blocking, and blitz pickup well hes gonna use you. I think were gonna be seeing a lot more of Mr. Ridley going forward. And thats a good thing! dont look now folks but our running game suddenly has a pulse!!

I was somewhat shocked when they made the pick (another RB?) but after doing some research, I liked that they had just drafted a possible FB/short yardage back, a young Sammy Morris-type player. I never expected him to have the explosiveness he's been showing going all the way back to the preseason. I'm obviously happy with the pick, and more happy I was off in my assessment of his skills.

He looks WAY better than Morris. He has the edge in explosion and can also catch the football out of the backfield. Ridley looks on his way to becoming a feature back.

Last edited:
I was saying earlier this week he runs like Ricky Waters....I meant this guy.

49ers, Roger Craig - YouTube

It's the crazy leg high step running style

Watching highlights of both, I agree. They both run a little reckless, and kinda pinball off defenders. I forgot how good Craig was.

I was saying earlier this week he runs like Ricky Waters....I meant this guy.

49ers, Roger Craig - YouTube

It's the crazy leg high step running style

Great call. Obvious advantages to that style, i wonder if there are disadvantages. Keeps you from getting shoelaced, stuck in the muck.

Do you guys remember former PFW in Progress guy Tom Casale?

I'm going to say something else I only want you to remember if I'm right: I think Ridley will end up being one of the best backs to come out of this draft class.

In my opinion, Ridley was the most underrated player in college football last season. Ridley ran for 1,147 yards and 15 touchdowns during his junior year. Those are good numbers for any running back playing in the SEC but they are even more impressive when you consider LSU's quarterback situation.

Stevan Ridley may emerge as best of Patriots running back corps - SI.com - Fantasy

His aim is true on this one.

He's slippery as hell, that's pretty clear. I think it's his burst that really makes him go though. He's a big back, yes, but he possesses really impressive acceleration. He's got elite pass rusher burst in a running back. I know how important burst is to backs but Ridley has an impressive kind for his size. He doesn't have homerun speed but he hits that speed in two steps. He looks like a 4.5 back, but I bet his ten yard split is out of this world.

If Vereen becomes what I believe he can be, the 2011 draft is going to be a 700 foot homerun.

Right on. But where's Vereen?

By season's end the top offensive unit is going to be a two tight end set with Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Branch, and Ridley. Or maybe sub in Ocho for Branch.

Having a bigger back who can be explosive in the run but also pass protect and catch out of the backfield gives the offense another dimension. He'll be a factor in the hurry-up because you won't have to take him off the field.

If he keeps it up, that is. But he sure looks good. How long has it been since opposing teams have had to key on a Patriots' running back?

we all wish we could be Green Bay who has a good offense and good defense. I guess we have a shot since we have a good offense.

you're right tho.

Pats have given up exactly one more point than GB. Factor in brady's pick six and our defense is better than theirs. but whatever....yards are really what matters.

Ridley 's past is intriguing. He has played many different positions, very well. Including quarterback.

I like Ridley as a Kevin Faulk type player. Law Firm is a workhorse. Woodhead for gimmick stuff and Edelman needs to be phased out of the offense.

You can't be serious. Ridley as a 3rd down back? What are you watching? Green-Ellis is going to be his back-up by season's end. Barring a fumbling problem I don't see how Ridley won't be getting 75+% of the 1st-2nd down carries.

You can't be serious. Ridley as a 3rd down back? What are you watching? Green-Ellis is going to be his back-up by season's end. Barring a fumbling problem I don't see how Ridley won't be getting 75+% of the 1st-2nd down carries.

Not sure if Green-Ellis will be his back-up but he sure can run. I also agree that he is definately not a 3rd down back only.

Ridley can be a every down back if the situation called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News