PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OK...lets hear thoughts on the Bills game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats_AZ

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I know it's early, but what's everyones take on the upcoming game? what would we all like to see? Toughest matchups?

I would personally like to see Tom put up some numbers in the air this game (250+ yrds passing:D ) and shut up all the "Tom just isn't clicking with his WRs" talk.

how about all you all?

Jay

I'd like to see them connect on a deep ball for once. I think Corey needs a big game for us to win. The speed on Buffalo's D is not a good matchup for Maroney's style of running. Watson should have a field day. On defense just contain McGahee & avoid the big plays as always.

Pats_AZ said:
I know it's early, but what's everyones take on the upcoming game? what would we all like to see? Toughest matchups?

I would personally like to see Tom put up some numbers in the air this game (250+ yrds passing:D ) and shut up all the "Tom just isn't clicking with his WRs" talk.

how about all you all?

Jay

Pats roll. Buffalo is worse than week 1, Pats are better. I expect a 24-7 win.

Having the Line/TE/RB account for everybody on the first play would be nice.:D

I think that as evidenced by the first go-round, we need to run the ball successfully and stop McGahee.

I think we'll probably see the much ballyhooed 'return of the screen pass' as well. People thinking that it's been left out from poor playcalling by the OC, but I see it as the offense knowing they could beat teams straight up without much trickery. And also we haven't faced alot of ultra-fast pressure DLs.

I think with the level of pressure that was put on in the first game by the Bills that we'll see some screens to slow that rush down and hopefully get some big plays. With 2 weeks to prepare and with the OL not only jelled a bit more but also more healthy (Light, Koppen, assorted RTs) then hopefully those guys are spry enough again to do some pulling and blocking in space.

I expect to see more of Chad Jackson. I expect to see Doug Gabriel playing better and better. I expect to see the tight ends heavily involved in the passing offense.

As for the plan on defense. I still say that if you stop McGahee you stop the Bills. Make Losman beat you. If we get a lead and control the clock we'll force Losman into pressure situations where hopefully our defense can force some turnovers.

I expect a win, but who knows which way it'll go (close, blowout).

NE wins handily, something like 30-13.

I was listening to the radio the other day and the analyst said something to the tune of "Buffalo fought NE ot a close. 2 point win in NE. And this game is going to be in Buffalo..." basically insinuating that Buffalo should have the edge in this one.

I see it a little differently. We all know that BB is a much better coach against a known quantity. Going into the first game, Buffalo had some new personel and an entirely new coaching staff. NE didn't have much to work with and had to figure it out on the fly, which led to Buffalo's initial offensive and defensive success. From the moment the 4th down stop occured, however, NE outscored Buffalo 12-0, with Buffalo never really getting all that close (except for a stupid block in the back) and NE kneeling in the red zone to end the game.

By comparison, Gabriel will almost certainly play this week, and Jackson likely will as well. NE should be far more prepared for the speed and aggressiveness of Buffalo. Buffalo has been steadily declining since their first game and NE has played much better since then. I don't see it getting as bad as last year's game in Bufalo, but NE will win another game that is not a nailbiter in the 4th.

Last edited:
I think the Bills might make this a game. They are always hungry when they play the Pats. I hope you all are right about a Pats blowout, as i will be attending the game.

I also know for a fact that JP Losman doesn't have power. He lives a block over from me. I wonder where he's staying? All the hotels are booked up.

The Bills might not even be in the area right now.

Best way to beat the Bills:

When the Pats have the ball.

- Stress the Bills shodding tackling woes by having the Pats RB's cut back in the rush lanes. The Patriots should be able to pound the ball on the weak Bills rush defense especially inside, between the tackles, on the smaller and ineffective DT's.
- The Bills employ a cover 2 defense which, if it can't generate inside pressure from its DT's, is prone to giving up big plays in the secondary. The Bills DT's have been horrendous this year barely providing a rush component to the defense so I think the Pats can exploit and stress the Bills young and inexperienced safeties. I'm not so sure the Pats have the WR's (like a Roy Williams) to do so but hopefully the TE's are up to the task.

When the Bills have the ball.

- Stop Willis McGahee along the ground. McGahee's not a big play runner but rather is a guy who relies on the 4-8 yd scampers to be effective. If the Pats are able to tackle Willis up near the LOS they'll succeed in keeping him in check.
- Make JP Losman beat you thru the air. Losman is probably at his best, and fully capable of doing some dmage, when he's flushed out of the pocket and throwing on the run. Limit this and you greatly increase the odds of stopping the Bills passing game. The Bills offense has pretty much eschewed deep passing in favour of short, quick outs and throws, much like what we saw out of the Pats for so many years. If the Pats defenders can limit the YAC numbers for the Bills receivers then they'll be in great shape. The Bills OL has been woeful in protecting Losman, not that his weaknesses help out any, so I really like the Pats DL in this matchup. Pressure Losman and he'll make mistakes galore.

Key in this game might very well be how the special teams matchup. The Bills have an excellent special teams unit that can really change momentum in a game. Especially when it's a home game for the Bills like this one is.

The Bills are struggling right now so I'd love to see the Pats bust out quickly and take crowd out of the game and pound the depleted Bills spirits into the ground. If the Pats allow the Bills to stick around they could be in trouble.

upstater1 said:
I also know for a fact that JP Losman doesn't have power. He lives a block over from me. I wonder where he's staying? All the hotels are booked up.

The Bills might not even be in the area right now.

Hey upstater, How does a guy without power get on the internet and post?

are you at the office or something?

Is the power etc going to be cleaned up by next weekend or will the Bills have to have a "Home" game at Gillette stadium? LOL...

i think we will win with a good margin

the Buf loss @ Det probably means that the Bills are not so good as we (me too) thought

The Bills D is middle of the NFL pack in nearly every category, so they haven't exactly been terrors of speed and destruction. They've allowed 40 rushing first downs (the Pats have allowed 18, lowest in the AFC), only five teams are worse (including Indy, 43!), so we should be able to run the ball on key downs with some success.

Our defense is playing much, much better than the opening game. Losman will have a tough time going deep to Evans against our defense if they play the way they have lately. The Pats rushing D is 8th best in the league and have allowed only one back over 100yds, Bell for Denver, while shutting down top backs McGahee, Brown, and Johnson. So we should have no problem containing McGahee again - 20 carries for 70yds in the first game.

Losman has been sacked 19 times, 4th most in NFL, for an NFL leading 161yds lost. So expect at least 3-4 sacks minimum and maybe a fumble on one. Th Bills are -4 in turnover margin, only five teams are worse, so we might get one TO somewhere, especially with the confidence Samuel is playing with. Losman has thrown 5 picks, only 6 QB's have more.

Road games don't bother the Pats, they've won many big games away from home, so Buffalo gains little advantage there. Weather looks iffy with rain in the morning then a chance of showers with temps in the 50's.

BB and Co. almost never lose when facing a team for the second time in a season, plus their record coming off byes under BB I think is 5-1.

Add it up and I get NE 23, Buffalo 13.

Gumby said:
Hey upstater, How does a guy without power get on the internet and post?

are you at the office or something?

Is the power etc going to be cleaned up by next weekend or will the Bills have to have a "Home" game at Gillette stadium? LOL...

I have power. Losman doesn't. A friend of mine lives right next door to him. My friend is currently downstairs in my living room drinking a Makers Mark and watching TV. His family and my wife are hanging out with the kids. I'm supposed to be doing work because no businesses or schools are open today.

My neighbor has an illegal tap on my electric meter. The electric company came by today and saw the illegal tap. They shrugged.

That's how bad it is up here. This is the worst snowstorm and damage that Buffalo has EVER had. It will take at least a week for power to come back on. There are still driving bans in the suburbs.

Yes, it's illegal to drive a car.

Basically, imagine streets lined with 100 year old maple and oak trees. All the branches from those trees are now lying in the street. Lots of powerlines are down. I raided a local grocery store that was running on generators and selling perishables for 75% off.

We're eating like kings though because friends have emptied their freezers and brought the goods over here. I had a nice premium organic Delmonico steak this afternoon. I never realized that organic steaks taste better.

My chainsaw is getting quite a work out. I ran out of bar oil and just put in some SAE 30. I'm hoping it doesn't make a big difference. Does anyone know?

An enormous tree fell on my carriage house out back. My tenant wasn't hurt. The tree fell from my neighbor's yard. My neighbor assures me his insurance will take care of the damage to the roof.

It's the least of my concerns.

Last edited:
Jacky Roberts said:
Pats roll. Buffalo is worse than week 1, Pats are better. I expect a 24-7 win.

I agree...Bills are just getting worse each week.

When NE plays Buffalo it almost ALWAYS means one thing - A CLOSE GAME - Time and time again that is the case..I believe at one time a few years ago we went to OT 4 Out of 5 times against Buffalo.​
Buffalo is coming off 2 BIG road losses and the last one was to a former winless team (Detroit) - Sure the Bills are not playing well but they are back home where they are just about always a formidable foe and are back home now and embarrassed from those 2 pathetic losses and will come up with a good game plan against us with,especially this being a MUST win for division hopes for them - Just don't see us going there and blowing them out,Thats Very Unlikely IMO - This game should be decided late in the 4th quarter - Gostkowski better get that foot ready for a winning FG game clincher-He may need it this week - I Don't expect much scoring in this one,possibly even less than the week 1 game........​

Last edited:
bakes781 said:
I'd like to see them connect on a deep ball for once. I think Corey needs a big game for us to win. The speed on Buffalo's D is not a good matchup for Maroney's style of running. Watson should have a field day. On defense just contain McGahee & avoid the big plays as always.

Wow I think I was right on target with this post. :D Although Buffalo really made things easy with all those penalties in the 2nd half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back