Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ohrnberger

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by AndyJohnson, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +893 / 20 / -20

Apparently most posters feel he will be on pup. Can anyone give me a link to the info about his injury situation?

2. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +336 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

Re: Ohrenbereger

I'll have to research that. Truthfully up until now I hadn't heard about that, so I'll be digging tonight and sending a couple of e-mails to find out what's up there to see if I can get a better answer. Hopefully someone else in here may be able to provide that.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 9 / -3

#11 Jersey

There are two "e"s that found their way into the title.

4. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +893 / 20 / -20

I'd prefer an answer to a proofread. :D

5. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 9 / -3

#11 Jersey

Oh, that, yeah. I was going to post a thread like this myself, but you beat me to it.

6. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +865 / 6 / -14

#75 Jersey

I checked this before and it seems to stem from a mysterious Reiss mailbag answer. he apparently has the type of ailment that doesn't prevent being worked at both C and G in minicamp.

6/17

The Patriots/Logan Mankins Quagmire Continues | NationalSportsReview.com

6/22

Patriots Mailbag: Logan Mankins, Tom Brady, offense are topics this week - ESPN Boston

7. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +184 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I am not sure most of us think this....I am guessing this questions stems from last nights discussion???

I know last night was the first I had heard of Ohrenberger being PUPed and I just went with it because it made deciding on the O-Line easier and I think maybe most of us last night did the same thing????

Maybe he does have an injury as another poster refrenced a Reiss Quote about but I have not heard of it which as crazy as we all get isnt that ludicrous as it is the offseason and he is a back up linemen.

8. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +393 / 33 / -5

I don't think that Ohrnberger will make the team. I do see him as a strong contender for a roster spot.

However, you guys seems to saying that he won't even be given a chance. After playing lots and lots in minicamp, posters seem to think that he will be kept out of the entire Training Camp and preseason and the first two months of the season. Being on PUP would end Ohrnberger's 2010 season.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  9. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +893 / 20 / -20

Thats why i asked because it seemed that there wasnt a true injury, just someone suggested pup, and everyone went with it.

10. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,861 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

Let's hope he hasn't caught the dreaded Crable disability disease

11. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,038 / 85 / -81

Disable Jersey

Someone had mentioned the PUP possibility. Rather than research the situation and take time away from the exercise, we agreed to put him on PUP and move on. With the likelihood of someone ending up on IR, it's not as if it put an unlikely number of roster spots in play.

12. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,861 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

Week 1 of last season saw 4 on IR, 1 on non-football injury (Tate) and 1 on PUP. Total = 6. Odds are that there will be several players on PUP or IR status this week one as well. Makes rosters really unpredictable at this stage.

13. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,038 / 85 / -81

Disable Jersey

That's pretty much it, and that's why I didn't worry about putting "O" and "WWW" on PUP, coming up 1 OL short, etc.... I figure that after you get to 53 in an exercise like last night's, you still need to keep 3-4 (and sometimes more) of the last cuts in mind for the likely injury issues.

14. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +184 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

Injuries is only one reason predicting rosters at this stage is unpredictable. Other signings, holdouts, and performance has a lot to do with it too.

I think what Dues was saying is that at this point getting to 54 or 56 is more than enough at this point as likely at least one or two players will be hurt freeing up room for the one or 2 guys that we would have cut to make it down to 53.

15. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +550 / 0 / -3

I think RayClay nailed it back in comment #6. The whole 'Ohrnberger to IR' rumor began after Reiss' comments about him not appearing to be ready and recovering from an undisclosed injury.

At this point - and I know it's way to early to mean anything as camp has yet to start - it seems as though LeVoir would be the primary backup at tackle and Connolly the primary backup inside. Obviously that can change dramatically due to an injury, the Mankins situation, and how everyone progresses in camp.

But assuming those are your top seven OL, it starts to become a numbers game. Between Ohrnberger, Bussey, Wendell, Wise and Larsen at least two, and probably three of them are gone. Wise and Wendell would be the first two most likely to be cut from that group.

In my opinion they don't want to risk losing Larsen until they see him for a year, so practice squad is not an option for him. Since Ohrnberger apparently is already dealing with an injury, he seems to be a better candidate than Larsen for IR than Larsen in allowing the team to get a longer look at him before making a decision. That would leave Bussey as the other OL on the roster.

16. SanAngeloState

SanAngeloState Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

he's been referred to on here as "Ohrn-bust". I guess so, what a waste of a 4th round pick!

17. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +893 / 20 / -20

What did you expect a 4th round G to do last year?
    Now we are calling a pick a waste if a poster gives the guy a negative nickname?
    We know absolutely nothing about this guy other than he was good enough last year to make the team, and was not needed because of the veterans we have on the OL.
    I don't know how that is a bust, and I don't know that bust is even an appropriate term for a 4th rounder.

18. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,062 / 32 / -49

No Jersey Selected

This is a pretty intelligent post.

19. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +393 / 33 / -5

I agree that there is no reason to call Ohrnberger a bust. He was a 4th round draft choice. he was very, very unlikely to be cut. The only 4th rounder I recall being cut was Kareem Brown in an aweful draft. He didn't do well enough to beat out Connolly as the GameDay backup OG/C. He didn't need to DO ANYTHING in games to show progression. He needed to impress his coaches in practices.

So, we come into the 2010 season.

A) Connolly is back and seems to have inside track at a roster spot a a backup OG and C.
    B) LeVoir is back and has the inside track as a backup OT.
    B) Bussey, who didn't make the 2009 roster, is back, and has a chance as a backup LT.
    C) Ohrnberger is back and is competing with the rest for a backup interior line position.
    D) We drafted the 3rd best center in the draft, Larsen, who is the mix as a backup center.
    E) We drafted Welch who could be the 4th OT (instead of Bussey) if Kaczur moved to LG.

LOCKS
    Light, Kaczur, Koppen, Neal, Vollmer

ALMOST LOCKS (as solid inexpensive backups)
    Connolly, LeVoir

PICK TWO
    Mankins, Ohrnberger, Bussey, Larsen, Welch
    Let the competition begin!

BOTTOM LINE
    Ohrnberger could make the roster, or not. In any case, I would expect him to be given every opportunity to make the roster, and even to replace Connolly if he is able. His future is anywhere from being cut to being a Game Day backup and starter if there is an injury.

As fans, we do NOT KNOW ANYTHING about how Ohrnberger is rated by the coaches. We MAY get glimpses of how the coaches feel when writers like Reiss don't have him on their 53 man rosters.

BTW, we shouldn't be shocked if Mankins and Ohrnberger are on the 53, and the three late rounders are waived, with the hope of getting them to Practice Squad. That would simply mean that Ohrnberger has progressed as expected, or at least good enough to beat out those who were not on the 53 man squad last year.

20. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +893 / 20 / -20

If O-Berger in year 2 passes Connolly and becomes the 3rd G, after being on the roster and not playing as a rookie, he would be meeting the most reasonable expectations that anyone should have had when he was drafted.
    Remember Connolly beat out Hochstein for the 3rd G so its not like he got it by default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.