PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Pats v. Seahawks postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The funny thing is that people here are blaming the offense. :bricks:

There is no rule that says you can't blame both. If the offense OR defense makes a play in the 4th quarter, we win. Neither could deliver.

The secondary needs better coaching. Pepper's units in the front7 have always been great but the secondary has sucked for half a decade.

It isn't a lack of talent as the Patriots have used high draft picks who can play. Even when the Patriots had talent like Asante or even Rodney still here near the end of his career, the defense was very vanilla. The issue is coaching.

Secondary players haven't improved year to year, and they make the same mistakes that blow games. That is on coaching.

I still don't know why Matt Patricia got the DC job over Pepper. The defense has spent high picks on the talent, but the coaching is not doing the job.

Last edited:
Say what you will about Carroll, but maybe BB & NC should take a page from him for their DB prototypes. Big and physical with long arms seems to work better than small and quick in 2012 (other than Revis).

Good point. Their DB's look huge compared to a few of our WR's. I know they rang WW's clock more than once. I was yearning for a physical payback. Not a knock on the pats WR's, they werent the reason they lost. It was the lack deep coverage. IMPOO.(In My Pissed Off Opinion) :(

Last edited:

You're suggesting that it doesn't share in the blame?

Gaudy numbers are great but the Offense didn't get the job done in the Red Zone (1--6), turned the ball over twice on picks and then couldn't close when it got the ball with the lead with three minutes to play and failed to get a first down (see Ravens game). It doesn't seem all that long ago when we used to rag on the Colts for putting up big stats on O and then not do what they had to do to win when it counted. When was the last time this Pats Offense had two "intentional groundings" called against it in one game?

I think the blame can be spread nice and evenly...offense...defense...coaching... special teams for poor punt coverage. You name it. I don't think we can let the Offense off the hook in any way. Personally, I'm too pissed off to try to apportion percents of blame among them. They all didn't get the job done today, as Belichick said in his remarks.

Last edited:
There is no rule that says you can't blame both. If the offense OR defense makes a play in the 4th quarter, we win. Neither could deliver.

Used to be that the Pats offense was allowed to get slowed down from time to time and the defense would cover them. Those days have long since passed with this secondary.

You're suggesting that it doesn't share in the blame?

Gaudy numbers are great but the Offense didn't get the job done in the Red Zone (1--6), turned the ball over twice on picks and then couldn't close when it got the ball with the lead with three minutes to play and failed to get a first down (see Ravens game). It doesn't seem all that long ago when we used to rag on the Colts for putting up big stats on O and then not do what they had to do to win when it counted.

I think the blame can be spread nice and evenly...offense...defense...coaching... special teams for poor punt coverage. You name it. I don't think we can let the Offense off the hook in any way.

The offense didn't play all world. But they gave the team the lead at the end and the defense proceeded to cough it up.

Aside from the secondary being downright atrocious, that might have been the most unimpressive/unconvincing 350 yard passing game since Drew Bledsoe, rife with picks and bad decisions in key moments

Last edited:

They share a major portion of the blame. Cannot get this theory that they scored 23 pts vs a great D so it should enough. When you are out there as an offense you need to score and move the ball. They scored 6 pts in the 2nd half with a RZ interception and twice failed to ice the game with 7 mins remaining. The secondary is bad as it is and got worst with all the injuries , but the pats had the ball to win it by converting a few first downs so really they are not without blame. Defense got 6 consecutive punts in the 2nd half and we did nothing with it.

The offense didn't play all world. But they gave the team the lead at the end and the defense proceeded to cough it up.

This defense has bailed out the team multiple times this season with timely stops and huge turnovers. They have been pretty decent even when the offense turns it over and the D has to hold on a short field.

That last TD I think they went at Ebner. I don't know Ebner was even in the game at that point, the Pats had to have known they would have attacked at him immediately. Whoever runs the secondary needs to be replaced in the coaching staff.

Last edited:
Our offense is fine under normal circumstances. But end-of-game situations are not normal, they're crunch time. I know it's sacrilege to say it, but Brady is not good in the clutch anymore. Unless he gets that mojo back, this team is doomed -- and not just for now, but for as long as he's the QB.

I'm predicting the Pats go 9-7 this year. If they make the playoffs, they won't get to the super bowl. And if a year or two year from now, they get back to the super bowl, they won't win it. The Patriots will never win another SB as long as Brady is our QB. I hate to say it, because I love the guy. But he's not the guy who used to reliably lead 70-yard scoring drives with 90 seconds left in the 4th quarter, to tie or win the game. I don't know when he stopped being that guy -- sometime before the first loss to the Giants in the Super Bowl, I guess.

It pains me to watch, but I'll keep watching. And pray to god that someone else can keep the Jets and the Giants out of the playoffs, because my heart can't take any more of that crap.

They share a major portion of the blame. Cannot get this theory that they scored 23 pts vs a great D so it should enough. When you are out there as an offense you need to score and move the ball. They scored 6 pts in the 2nd half with a RZ interception and twice failed to ice the game with 7 mins remaining. The secondary is bad as it is and got worst with all the injuries , but the pats had the ball to win it by converting a few first downs so really they are not without blame. Defense got 6 consecutive punts in the 2nd half and we did nothing with it.

You don't think the offense is going to get slowed down like that in the postseason? And yet they still handed the D the lead.

I'm interested to see how much longer people will be willing to call Bill Belichick a defensive genius given the continued showing of his Patriots Defense?

I dunno. The D had some issues today, especially on the last Touchdown.

But if the Offense figures out how to get one goddam first down with three minutes to play, the game is over and we're all talking about the stout performance of our D in holding the Seahawks in their noise tunnel to 17 points despite two interceptions given up by the offense, lousy field position provided by Special Teams and an Offense that put up a ton of yards but only converted one of six trips to the Red Zone.

I'm not saying the Defense was great by any means, but let's not go overboard.

Ding, Ding! This. Yes Brady and the O didnt have a great day. Happens to everyone. I mean, He's the best QB ever IMO. The problem with the D is the secondary sucks every week. And I dont think McCourty Arrrington, Chung....etc are getting better anytime soon. As some have suggested, maybe it's CB and Safeties coaches. Whatever it is, it's time for BB to do SOMETHING

Last edited:
Other than watching the game, I've had a long and busy day and it's still a few hours from being done, so I'm not going to read this thread right now. Instead, I'll post a few points and get back to all this later:

• Brady has called Welker the team's best offensive player. I assume he means besides himself. He's right. There's nobody else on this offense that comes close
  • Solder made me long for Matt Light again today.
  • Connolly does an interesting thing where he moves just before the snap, but in such a way that it's not a false start. I don't know if it's close enough in time to be a tell, but it's something the Patriots should take a look at.
  • We saw lots of proof that Jones is a rookie today. We may also have seen evidence that he needs to be off the line. He's having more difficulty against the run as the season goes on. Whether this means he needs to be a 3-4 OLB, or it means that he just needs a full NFL offseason in the gym is something I leave to the team to figure out.
  • Spikes - still great against the run, garbage against the pass
  • Mayo - playmaker
  • Wilfork - teams don't even pretend to go at him for the most part. With the DE tandem that's out there, why would they?
  • The defensive secondary - might as well lump all that suck in together. Those who didn't want Laron Landry might want to think about "What if?" right about now. Front seven = good, back four = bad Pop Warner squad (Yes, that's hyperbole, but wouldn't you at least think about making a unit for unit swap with a college team like Alabama at this point?)
  • The Patriots ran like a team that knew it couldn't move the opponent on the ground. Woodhead showed up. Bolden showed up. The rest? Not so much. Ridley was, umm, not good, and that's better than the line was.
  • TFB - I hope that whatever affected you in the second half is healed/fixed by next week.
  • Hernandez - Welcome back. Stop dropping the damn ball.
  • Deion - When they're getting physical with you, give it back to them. You're a veteran, man. You should have clocked Sherman after the second time.
  • Fells - Hell of a catch
  • Lloyd - some great effort, at least one circus catch, and I hope you're ok.
  • Coverage teams - Lanes. Stay the hell in them.
  • Coaching - hated the play call that resulted in the I.G. on the last play of the first half. It should probably have been the FG, since the team had already burned its last time out. Failing that, it should have been a 1-2 man route call, to give Brady a quick decision and throw.
  • Coaching, continued - That said, it's tough to blame the coaching for Brady not putting the ball near enough to a receiver to avoid a penalty, twice, missing Gronk in the end zone, tossing a red zone pick and bouncing a bunch of passes.
  • Coaching, final - Kicking that first field goal instead of going for it on 4th down was the right move. It took the score to 2 scores with the Seahawks getting the ball to start the second half.

That'll do for starters, I figure. I'll check back in for the "hate" responses in an hour or two. ;)

Running The Ball To Force Seattle To Use It's Timeouts

Was I the only one yelling at my t.v.? We could have closed out the game by throwing it yet we run the ball twice and get stuffed all in the name of forcing seattle to use it's timeouts. That's so OVERRATED in this day in the NFL with everything geared towards passing not to mention the Patriots pass defense is swiss cheese.

No Bill, forcing the seahawks to use up all their timeouts is not going to prevent them from tearing up your sh.it D when it counts. Take the ball.... AND WIN THE GAME!

Re: Running The Ball To Force Seattle To Use It's Timeouts

That enraged me.

You had three downs and you ran them over and over again when your run game is ineffective?

Just to waste their time outs???

It's like they had no faith in the offense.

Correct on all accounts. The misconception is that you need to run to force them to burn timeouts. The truth is, they should have just run out the clock themselves by advancing the ball.

The patriots should just keep on playing offense the game like its the First quarter. Just play until the clock ends. Period. Don't change your strategy.

On the other hand, they shouldn't let possibly one of the five worse starters in the league burn them for a 50 yard bomb with 90 seconds left. Idiots.

I was also pissed off with that decision. It's like, hello, Seattle doesn't need their timeouts if they can just bomb it down field for an easy 30 yards whenever they feel like it.

I think people get caught up with the playcalling. Run or pass, the goal is to move the ball down the field and they couldn't do that. They couldn't run it; they couldn't throw it. That points to poor execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST