PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Pats/Ravens POST GAME Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
the D didn't just show up today...the first three games BB ran vanilla cover 2 and cover 3 defenses...today the defense brought a whole slew of zone blitz schemes....this is VINTAGE BB. Expect the defense to be throwing the entire book at opponents by midseason.

I thought I would just add my two cents, and observations from the game.

First off, I think the Defense is getting better everyweek. With all the turnover in the offseason, and all the new faces, the coaching staff decided to use a more vanilla defense the first three weeks, in order to see who can do what, what situations player fit into, and who doesn't fit the defense right now. This week we saw a much more complex blitzing scheme and I would think that more will be added each week. I see this defense like everyone as a work in progress, but a defense that by the end of the regular season could be one of our best.

Brandon Meriweather has elevated his game to the "elite" level. Coming into the season you looked at the defense on paper and besides Mayo, you didn't see any playmakers, Meriweather has become the de facto leader of the defense.

Through the first four weeks the second best defensive player has had to be Brandon McGowan. He was completely overlooked during the preseason, and has wowed everyone by his fearless play. He seems to just be one of those players who has a nose for the big play (he recovered the first fumble, and was in on the last hit on Clayton) which is something that can't be taught.

The secondary as a whole is much improved from last year but still has work to do. I love Bodden and was estactic when we signed him in the offseason, he struggled on a couple plays today, but is a playmaker something we lacked last year. Eventually Darius Butler will be the starter. I think the play of the game may have been his defense of Clayton of the fade route with less than a minute to go. He played the pass perfectly and didn't committ a penalty which is very common on those fades. How many times did Hobbs get beat on those exact plays.

The front 7 as a whole is pretty solid, but will be that much better when Mayo returns. I think Guyton is going to be a great LB for us. I don't think he can nessacarily man the middle for an entire season. Like has been said on here he needs to get better at getting off blocks and knowing where the blocker will be coming from. I love his speed and once Mayo comes back they will be the fastest LB tandem we have had in a long time. Today I was very impressed by how the DLine played, especially with getting a pass rush. I think getting a pass rush up the middle and into Flaccos face was the key to the game. Flacco tended to just back peddle in throw the ball up on a few plays when he had pressure in his face. Mike Wright played like a beast and the fourth down stop the line just dominated Balitmores.

The offense is really starting to get back in sync. Brady looked much better stepping up in the pocket and sliding to avoid pressure. He didn't make any bad throws that I can recall and I think he is starting to get his swagger back.

Laurence Maroney is a waste of a roster spot. I can't for the life of me understand why he is allowed to return kicks. No matter what the situation everytime the ball is in his hands he dances. He can not just run north and south. Enough is enough we have four more capable backs and you can't tell me BJGE can't do a better job than Kool Aid. When I attended training camp this year I paid close attention to maroney and noticed that even on plays when they are going 3/4 speed or in walk though, he still dances no matter how subtle there is always a stutter or jump step. He has had to many chances, at least get him the hell of of kick offs, I was sick seeing him dance around behind the line of scrimmage.

The one thing I think we need to find is a true #3 receiver. When Galloway was signed I thought he would end up being that second receiver to stretch the field however we all know how that has turned out so far. I think Edelman is a #4 and best out of the slot opposite welker. We need another receiver to spilt out, in the Jabar Gaffney, Donte Stallworth spot.

The line has played pretty well all season. Matt Light does scare me as at least twice every game he makes a huge mistake that usually costs us. I like how the pats have been using the tight ends to block more. I like the balance I see from the offense at least until Brady is 100% right.

With all that being said, it was a huge win for us today against the "best team" up to this point in the season. This team is going to improve every week as we have had a lot of turn over and alot of growing to do. I am very optomistic and looking forward to our schedule, our next 4 games our very winnable. Then comes a tough 3 game stretch with the Colts, Jet, and Saints. Then we close with 5 games we should win.

First off, I think the Defense is getting better everyweek. With all the turnover in the offseason, and all the new faces, the coaching staff decided to use a more vanilla defense the first three weeks, in order to see who can do what, what situations player fit into, and who doesn't fit the defense right now. This week we saw a much more complex blitzing scheme and I would think that more will be added each week. I see this defense like everyone as a work in progress, but a defense that by the end of the regular season could be one of our best.

Brandon Meriweather has elevated his game to the "elite" level. Coming into the season you looked at the defense on paper and besides Mayo, you didn't see any playmakers, Meriweather has become the de facto leader of the defense.

Through the first four weeks the second best defensive player has had to be Brandon McGowan. He was completely overlooked during the preseason, and has wowed everyone by his fearless play. He seems to just be one of those players who has a nose for the big play (he recovered the first fumble, and was in on the last hit on Clayton) which is something that can't be taught.

The secondary as a whole is much improved from last year but still has work to do. I love Bodden and was estactic when we signed him in the offseason, he struggled on a couple plays today, but is a playmaker something we lacked last year. Eventually Darius Butler will be the starter. I think the play of the game may have been his defense of Clayton of the fade route with less than a minute to go. He played the pass perfectly and didn't committ a penalty which is very common on those fades. How many times did Hobbs get beat on those exact plays.

The front 7 as a whole is pretty solid, but will be that much better when Mayo returns. I think Guyton is going to be a great LB for us. I don't think he can nessacarily man the middle for an entire season. Like has been said on here he needs to get better at getting off blocks and knowing where the blocker will be coming from. I love his speed and once Mayo comes back they will be the fastest LB tandem we have had in a long time. Today I was very impressed by how the DLine played, especially with getting a pass rush. I think getting a pass rush up the middle and into Flaccos face was the key to the game. Flacco tended to just back peddle in throw the ball up on a few plays when he had pressure in his face. Mike Wright played like a beast and the fourth down stop the line just dominated Balitmores.

The offense is really starting to get back in sync. Brady looked much better stepping up in the pocket and sliding to avoid pressure. He didn't make any bad throws that I can recall and I think he is starting to get his swagger back.

Laurence Maroney is a waste of a roster spot. I can't for the life of me understand why he is allowed to return kicks. No matter what the situation everytime the ball is in his hands he dances. He can not just run north and south. Enough is enough we have four more capable backs and you can't tell me BJGE can't do a better job than Kool Aid. When I attended training camp this year I paid close attention to maroney and noticed that even on plays when they are going 3/4 speed or in walk though, he still dances no matter how subtle there is always a stutter or jump step. He has had to many chances, at least get him the hell of of kick offs, I was sick seeing him dance around behind the line of scrimmage.

The one thing I think we need to find is a true #3 receiver. When Galloway was signed I thought he would end up being that second receiver to stretch the field however we all know how that has turned out so far. I think Edelman is a #4 and best out of the slot opposite welker. We need another receiver to spilt out, in the Jabar Gaffney, Donte Stallworth spot.

The line has played pretty well all season. Matt Light does scare me as at least twice every game he makes a huge mistake that usually costs us. I like how the pats have been using the tight ends to block more. I like the balance I see from the offense at least until Brady is 100% right.

With all that being said, it was a huge win for us today against the "best team" up to this point in the season. This team is going to improve every week as we have had a lot of turn over and alot of growing to do. I am very optomistic and looking forward to our schedule, our next 4 games our very winnable. Then comes a tough 3 game stretch with the Colts, Jet, and Saints. Then we close with 5 games we should win.

This is more like ten bucks not two cents

...the first three games BB ran vanilla cover 2 and cover 3 defenses...today the defense brought a whole slew of zone blitz schemes....

Rodney said exactly this tonight on Football Night in America.

QB12

This is more like ten bucks not two cents

Hahah your right, I never intended to make it that long, but once I started writing I just couldn't stop, I'm so excited about this win.:cool:

What do you guys think of Adalius Thomas' season so far?

What do you guys think of Adalius Thomas' season so far?

Solid, but unspectacular. I think he is playing a bit out of position and is being asked to do somethings with Mayo out. When Mayo comes back I predict he will be able to rush the passer more and be in a more natural position.

I did see that, but, I could have sworn that was Ray Lewis.

No it was Lewis as other posters have noted. I wish we saw the camera follow him down field and then turn around confused.

What a great, stressful game to watch! It's 4:30 AM and I guess I'm pulling an all-nighter.

Know that feeling all too well. But it makes me sleep a lot better when I go to bed after a big win.

Thought Sammy Morris played really well today.

1) I will tell you that Maroney is better than Green-Ellis. Green-Ellis is inactive because Belichick thinks that he is less valuable than any of the other backs. I agree. That being said, I think Maroney is our #4 back and should be used less.

2) Watson is our #3 receiving threat. He has been playing very, very well.

3) I am sure that Belichick will not underestimate the broncos, but they are the only good team we'll play before the bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News