Official Patriots/Bucs Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was a rough game until I considered:

• Short week/long trip.
  • VERY early subbing.
  • Weirdo crowd.
  • The numerous unexpected scores today.

The final point being the biggest... you can never be sure what will happen in the NFL. The Pats seemed to play down to the Bucs a bit today.

After that game I watched the Dolphins/Saints game and was horrified that we have to play both of those fairly beastly teams this year (totaling 3 of our remaining games). A lot of good will come from this game, and thankfully we have smaller/easier questions than many of the teams that played today.

Is 35-7 rough by Canadian standards? Sometimes teams look beastly because of who they've played or who they are playing. Miami coming off its bye set NO, an NFC team, up. To it's credit NO adjusted and survived. Bill has reams of great film to analyze.

Facing ofer teams in back to back weeks it's hard not to play down a little. And frankly Tampa came to play even if they were overmatched. Something Tennessee didn't do.

Though he did get about 4ypc, LoMo didnt break 50

Maroney and B-Jeepers ran really really hard today, the run blocking was awful and there were very few holes. Several times Maroney was met a yard or two deep and managed to break a tackle and turn it into a gain.

I thought he played really well, and had the blocking been better he'd have ripped off a couple of big runs.

I know Tampa's a bad team, but overall I thought it was a really good effort by the Pats. We could have hung more points on them had we wanted to.

I thought TBC was a monster today. Really getting good pressure on the QB and even stuffing the run. He's probably been the biggest of the really pleasant surprises so far this year (along with McGowan). Let's give Belichick some freakin credit for seeing what he had in TBC and not listening to all the people (myself included) who were screaming for him to draft or trade for "an elite pass rusher."

More pleasant surprises, and Belichick getting it right [again]:

Pryor--really looked solid, abusing his blockers for most of the game.

Vollmer--playing like a rookie (who'd have figured :rolleyes:) ,but also playing like a stud.

Mike Wright--solid pressure on the QB again today

Butler--starting CB after 5 games in the NFL. Rookie mistake on the touchdown today, but probably 2/3 of the corners in this league give up that TD in one on one coverage and a perfectly thrown pass.

Chung--just needed little time to get up to speed :rolleyes: Hopefully he continues in a positive direction, but I don't read too much into his performance today.

Tate--great to see him playing and he had a couple of nice returns and catches. Could break the mold and turn into a solid WR draft choice and perfect compliment to Welker and Moss.

Edelman--obviously looks like a great find. Hope he's back soon.

Edit: One more thing. Wilfork is out of control. I BB definitely made the right call if it was going to be a question of keeping either Seymour or Vince into next season. :]

AD situation is worrisome, but hopefully Seau and TBC have bailed BB out at LB, and Burgess really needs to step it up.

Last edited:
Lawfirm had the dreaded .9 ypc.

Mankins should have been told he's swimming home.

Tampa committed to taking something, anything away. We didn't argue since the thing they couldn't take away carried the day handily.

Is 35-7 rough by Canadian standards?

Not at all, I just looked at the oopsies and drops by the Bucs that could have been deadly if it were a better team and it made me careful not to get too excited by the margin of victory.

Re: What is Green-Ellis's PROBLEM?!

1) no, we played a lot of nickel and dime. We went with a safety heavy package.

2) Tate did as good as anyone could in their first NFL game.. much to improve on but a good solid start with no miscues or boneheaded plays.

Julian Edelman says "8 receptions, 98 yards." :D

Maroney and B-Jeepers ran really really hard today, the run blocking was awful and there were very few holes. Several times Maroney was met a yard or two deep and managed to break a tackle and turn it into a gain.

I thought he played really well, and had the blocking been better he'd have ripped off a couple of big runs.

Mankins had one of his worst games today, and it didn't help that Vollmer banged up his ankle, and that we have a FB who would lose a foot race with a snail.

They all make mistakes. Most of them we never even see or ignorantly misinterpret. All the championship teams did. And yet we won. At the end of the day all that matters is that we make enough plays to win. They won't win every championship or game even, but more often than any other team we have won enough. They don't always do it my way. I realize that isn't their goal. Sometimes it's freakin' ugly. Doesn't matter. Like Junior says, it's a journey and I relish it season after season. That's all there is, and if you're looking for something else you're in the wrong place... I admire what they have done and continue to do. I've learned a lot just observing them. I'm entitled to my opinion for sure, but at the end of the day I'm not so full of myself I actually believe they could learn anything constructive from my or any patsfan's deepest thinking on the subject. I think it's sad that more fans here somehow can't grasp that and just enjoy the journey instead of spending entire seasons debating how badly it may end and whose fault it will be...

What he said ... absolutely ... :yeahthat: ... great post.

Last edited:
Mankins looked awful.

We should cut and re-sign TBC every week. He played like a monster!

I don't have access to DVR, but based on highlights and brief clips, it looks like Pats ran a plenty of Smash with a lot more cross routes than I initially thought because Bucs elected to play man coverage, and like Jays52 said, the cross opens up the smash, and that is why you see Watson sail into the EZ for his TD, he was actually on that 12 yard corner route that is part of the smash where you have inside WR do the 12 yard corner, and outside WR do the hitch and Brady does progression read and keys on CB, if CB sinks up, throw the 6 yard hitch, if the CB motions down, throw the corner. Watson simply outran his man and you know the rest.

This is where you see if Morris gets fired, he will not get another HC job. Monstrous oversight to not adjust to this by switching to soft zone (and still have the same number of men rushing Brady). I do not believe that he didn't switch to soft zone because of the inexperience of the CB's.. when you are that far behind in the score, inexperience is not going to be a factor. This was a deer-in-the-headlights coaching by Morris.

The crowd were booing the hell out of that call. It was just obviously idiotic. Everyone knew that was a seriously dumb move.

And where I was sitting, they were booing when ever Brady got on the field.

Edit: One more thing. Wilfork is out of control. I BB definitely made the right call if it was going to be a question of keeping either Seymour or Vince into next season. :]

AD situation is worrisome, but hopefully Seau and TBC have bailed BB out at LB, and Burgess really needs to step it up.

Regarding motivating AD vs Wilfork, there's a vicious rumor that evil genius BB threatened to withold the evening meal from Wilfork if he didn't abuse the Bucs OL. You saw the result of this on target motivational tactic.

Last edited:
Regarding motivating AD vs Wilfork, there's a vicious rumor that evil genius BB threatened to withold the evening meal from Wilfork if he didn't abuse the Bucs OL. You saw the result of this on target motivational tactic.

haha, that would certainly work. I can't get over how athletic that guy is for such a big dude. I get tired out just looking for the TV remote and I'd be an hors d'ouvre to that dude.

I think we may need to peel back our judgments on Burgess a bit. I know why we THINK he's here, but based on his defensive participation and multiple assignment positioning, I think he's another player that will sdtart to stand out more as the season progresses. He may be a trade that DID work out, when we're talking about it again in the off-season.

I was at the game and here are some of the players I was keeping a close eye on:

Sea Bass - Was protecting well, controlling his men in the run game and was getting out quick on the screens until he got a little shaken up in the 2nd quarter (I think). From that point on he didn't look terrible but occasionally would let the rusher run right past him or lose his balance.

Wes Welker - He just keeps getting open on nearly every play. No big news there.

Darius Butler - Thought he played really well. Even with the tough task on covering Antonio Bryant, he was usually sticking close to his man and when there was separation he would recover very well. Even on the TD, he was initially beaten but recovered and if it wasn't for a perfect outside-shoulder throw by Johnson he would have made a play.

Brandon Meriweather - Best game of his career so far. Even though Josh Johnson is a below-average QB, Meriweather showed terrific explosion and playmaking ability with his two picks. Excellent coverage and hitting ability and looked in control of the secondary.

Pat Chung - As he gets more playing time he is contributing solidly to this defense, especially in run support. First, I didn't think he was that fast but he proved me wrong. I also didn't think he was very good in coverage but he covered Kellen Winslow and others really well today. As everyone already knows, he is a BIG hitter and as he becomes more comfortable in this Defense, he will force many fumbles over the years. He is also always around the ball on Special Teams.

Matt Slater - I know there are a LOT of Slater haters around here, but nobody can argue that he is a special teams force. I think the Bucs Kickoff/Punt return was near the top in the league but Slater really helped us contain Sammie Stroughter as shown on a punt where he chased down Stroughter from behind when it looked like he had considerable space to work with.

Hey! Anyone going to the Patriots game against Miami on Dec 6th?? I made a block of rooms for my fellow fans at the Springhill Suites Ft Lauderdale Airport -- its less than 10 miles from the stadium -- all you have to do is say your a Pats fan & want the group rate of $109!!! Your welcome!! (954-920-9696):singing:

Hey! Anyone going to the Patriots game against Miami on Dec 6th?? I made a block of rooms for my fellow fans at the Springhill Suites Ft Lauderdale Airport -- its less than 10 miles from the stadium -- all you have to do is say your a Pats fan & want the group rate of $109!!! Your welcome!! (954-920-9696):singing:

troll.jpg

Couldn't have said it better, JSN

Brady talked about this pick in a post game interview. He didn't see Talib. He blew the read. It happens.

It's much more concerning that he underthrew yet another 'really' deep pass.

Kontradiction said:
I'm not that concerned about it. I think it's just a timing issue with a rookie that didn't have a minicamp, training camp, or preseason to work with him and has only had a week of practice to work some kinks out. It happens, especially in this offense. The first pick was much more concerning given the fact that Brady apparently "didn't see him"... with the exception that Talib was RIGHT in front of Moss.

Albert Breer

LONDON -- It may be 21-7 right now.

But I doubt Bill Belichick's a very happy camper. The Patriots have turned it over twice -- Both on throws where it looked Tom Brady was guiding the ball too much.

BradyManny2344 said:
That is a far too negative view of the first half.

Brady threw two picks, the offensive line got called for a ton of penalties - the rest of the game was purely positive. I think that first pick Brady threw to Moss would probably be a catch - or at worst, an incompletion - if Moss were healthy, he clearly continues to play through a lot of pain.

Deus Irae said:
Breer's lucky that he didn't post in the Game Thread...

BradyManny2344 said:
Only here could a team win 35-7 and fans be upset with the team's play.

I'm disappointed in Breer, too. I hope he brings better shyt than that to Extra Points. This is the NFL - there's another team on the field, Talib & Jackson made great plays on those picks - and that was pretty much it for the negative for the Pats.

DeusIrae said:
Breer was right in his assessment, and Talib got the pick because Brady didn't read the field well enough to see him on the play. Brady admitted he didn't see him on the throw during a post game interview. It wasn't about a great play by Talib, it was about a poor job of recognition by Brady compounded by a ball that was underthrown by several yards.

DeusIrae said:
So Albert Breer and Phil Simms were both just crazy, then?

I'm sorry, but they saw the same thing I did.

MoLewisrocks said:
And I'd be mildly concerned that if he had better body control and footwork he'd have at least broken up the play, but hopefully that will come. Of course he may have over run the route, we'll never know since even Phil Simms, who I've heard mistate things from time to time, wouldn't have any way to know that.

Tate did not make a catch, but succeeded on the end around and was the target of a deep ball that was intercepted. The rookie took the blame.

“I messed up because I had run the wrong route,’’ said 22-year-old Tate. “That messed Tom up, so that was all my fault. First game back, I guess.’’

It's always about perspective vs. kneejerk over reaction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference