PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Patriots/Bucs Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imho, the picks were plain stupid. The redzone pick was bad because Moss is 6'4" tall and has a good vertical leap yet Brady got too soft with it, not even giving his man a chance to catch it.
The deep ball was underthrown, and as usual with his deep balls of late, he's waiting so long to try and hit his man, giving safeties the chance to cover.

He also missed a sure TD on 3rd & short right before the half on the same drive as the penalized fake punt attempt. He went to LoMo for the 1st, but had a man wide open at the top of the set for a sure TD over the middle. He never even looked his way.

Warren - ankle
Vollmer - ankle
Moss - banged up on a nasty hit occuring after he clearly dropped the pass.
brady - shoulder (for the past five years and the next five years).

What are the odds that Light is back for the Miami game?

So Albert Breer and Phil Simms were both just crazy, then?

I'm sorry, but they saw the same thing I did. There were all sorts of opportunities for Tampa out there.

Of course there were. The Pats were playing tight coverage and gambling down the field because they knew that they could get pressure and get away with it against a QB of Johnson's caliber.

Did it ever occur to you that we'll play the Colts and Saints differently than we played the Bucs? That's kinda what Belichick does- gameplans change from week to week for each opponent.

Of course there were. The Pats were playing tight coverage and gambling down the field because they knew that they could get pressure and get away with it against a QB of Johnson's caliber.

Did it ever occur to you that we'll play the Colts and Saints differently than we played the Bucs? That's kinda what Belichick does- gameplans change from week to week for each opponent.

You think Belichick's game plan was for Tampa Bay receivers to be running free in the secondary?

Interesting theory....

You think Belichick's game plan was for Tampa Bay receivers to be running free in the secondary?

Interesting theory....

His plan was to blitz an inexperienced QB which often leads to receivers running free. 172 yds combined passing for 2 QBS, 11/30 completions, 3 sacks, 3 INTS is hardly reason for Dean Pees to be taken to the woodshed.

Last edited:

Interesting theory....

I agree with Deus. If we can only pick one of a) cover receivers and b) rush the passer, Manning is going to tear us up.

We've been lucky the past two weeks; did that mean that if we hadn't been we would have lost? No. But, if some of the passes to WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS connect for the other team then we're talking about much closer games than we have been.

Breer was right in his assessment, and Talib got the pick because Brady didn't read the field well enough to see him on the play. Brady admitted he didn't see him on the throw during a post game interview. It wasn't about a great play by Talib, it was about a poor job of recognition by Brady compounded by a ball that was underthrown by several yards.

This board has been overly negative in recent years, as the attacks on Cassel early last year highlighted pretty well. However, in a bizarro situation, the pendulum has shifted far too much to the other side this season. This year, people can't seem to admit to even obvious problems, issues, or questions.

The only obvious problem here is what it always is, polarizing kneejerk over reactions.

Anyone watching MVP designate Drew Brees self destructing today?? Bears just paid Jay Cutler $20M and guaranteed him $30M and they're down 31-3 to the Bungles. JETS were DOA last week and our old friend 93 was predicting an Oakland playoff run. His truly pathetic (he's the benchmark) QB has mercifully finally been benched. The Cowboys and Falcons spent most of the first half swapping turnovers. Even the great Brett Favre got stripped twice today for TD's and lost to a team whose QB barely completed 50% of his throws...

Honestly, some of you need to do something to develop perspective whether it be watch more games or watch less and get out or something. It's a 16 game season and if you live and die on the outcome of every play in every game you end up ruining the experience for yourself and in a case like this an entire community. And there is really no difference between doing that to be perceived as no homer be your issue with a Brady led team or one led by his backup...

Interesting theory....

I think Belichick's gameplan did involve looser downfield coverage, figuring that the Bucs couldn't take advantage of it the way a better passing team could, so that the Pats' D could instead focus on the horizontal passing game that a shaky QB like Johnson needs in order to get into any sort of rhythm.

And it worked ok, too, resulting in 3 INTs and the Bucs' offense averaging less than a single first down per offensive possession.

Right, but so what? I'm with MoLewisRocks, its all about perspective. I'm not denying Brady had a couple terrible plays & that the offensive line had a very sloppy game - but overall, the team is in a good place. Every unit can't bring its A game every week. Belichick can ream them out for little mistakes, but its asinine that we sit here and throw a fit over a couple picks or a couple bad plays.

As for Breer & Simms - Simms was referring specifically to our defense playing aggressively, and Tampa having a chance to exploit it - they did once all game. For Breer, the guy has become increasingly negative as he's gone national, and has been pretty skeptical about this teams' chances this season from the outset. Clearly, he wants to stick by that. I still think he's one of the best in the biz, but he's been hard on this team since the offseason.

It's not about perspective. It's about people being unwilling to admit what really happened. Here's where you were initially coming from:

Talib & Jackson made great plays on those picks - and that was pretty much it for the negative for the Pats.

You've now come along to conceding the O-line had problems, for example. This team has problems, and it's had problems all season. Pretending they aren't there won't make them go away.

Let's all focus on the two INTs instead of winning by four touchdowns.

i think the deep int that was thrown when brady was going for tate was underthrown.........hat being said we should all be wowed by the fact that tate got open on that and with a properly thrown ball might have had a td

Let's all focus on the two INTs instead of winning by four touchdowns.

Definitely.. that's the New England Calvinist for you with a Puritanical streak.. it's all gloom and doom.

His plan was to blitz an inexperienced QB which ofter leads to receivers running free.

Don't try to reason with him. Exercise in futility for the last few months.

He's looking for the perfect team. We've already proven we aren't it. Great news is no one else remotely has either in the salary cap era...

Don't try to reason with him. Exercise in futility for the last few months.

He's looking for the perfect team. We've already proven we aren't it. Great news is no one else remotely has either in the salary cap era...

Thanks for the headups info for a noob.

The only obvious problem here is what it always is, polarizing kneejerk over reactions.

Anyone watching MVP designate Drew Brees self destructing today?? Bears just paid Jay Cutler $20M and guaranteed him $30M and they're down 31-3 to the Bungles. JETS were DOA last week and our old friend 93 was predicting an Oakland playoff run. His truly pathetic (he's the benchmark) QB has mercifully finally been benched. The Cowboys and Falcons spent most of the first half swapping turnovers. Even the great Brett Favre got stripped twice today for TD's and lost to a team whose QB barely completed 50% of his throws...

Honestly, some of you need to do something to develop perspective whether it be watch more games or watch less and get out or something. It's a 16 game season and if you live and die on the outcome of every play in every game you end up ruining the experience for yourself and in a case like this an entire community. And there is really no difference between doing that to be perceived as no homer be your issue with a Brady led team or one led by his backup...

Actually, my perspective is fine, and it's one that's been shared by the Patriots all season long, as evidenced by their own pre and post game comments about each game, and by the analysts who cover the team both nationally and locally. I'm not a homer and I'm not a Chicken Little. I never have been, and that's not going to change. You've sold out to the team, as is your right, although I miss the old MoLewisRocks who was capable of objectivity.

i think the deep int that was thrown when brady was going for tate was underthrown.........hat being said we should all be wowed by the fact that tate got open on that and with a properly thrown ball might have had a td

brady would have had to make a perfact throw to get the ball to him and thats not on tate brady should have never throw that ball to him

but i do like tate i think he can become a biger part of the O in the next few weeks

I dont know. I agree with the people saying Pats had major problems today, against a bad team no less. Offense was relatively sloppy, defense was a little sloppy, and our run game was almost non-existant.

And I'd be mildly concerned that if he had better body control and footwork he'd have at least broken up the play, but hopefully that will come. Of course he may have over run the route, we'll never know since even Phil Simms, who I've heard mistate things from time to time, wouldn't have any way to know that.

I've seen Peyton Manning make mistakes even when he's perfectly healthy (I think that's why the Colts only have one ring in his decade) but don't tell anyone or they'll think I'm trying to make excuses that Brady is somehow both elite and human.

Plusses & Minuses

+ Welcome to the NFL Mr Tate!
+ Merry is on track for a Pro Bowl season
+ Kudos to all the SSs for shuting down Winslow
+ Priah is a playah
+ TBC is having a FINE season
+ Everybody's loser for the 3rd WR did well today. Nice game Mr Aiken. Very Gaffney like
+ Welker contnues to amaze
+ A quiet good season for Watson

- Brady forcing the ball or missing the double coverage on Moss on the EZ
- Mankins' brain was not present for the game
- Run game ineffective even with Connoley as a blocking FB
- Not a great punting day
- #28 didn't turn and look for the ball. A coachable moment for the rook

This is going to be a long LONG LONG 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes