PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Patriots/Bucs Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welker carried them down the field on that drive. They elected to leave him in single coverage.. Stupid.

They weren't getting pressure with what they had in the box. Something had to give, they took a risk and it failed.

breer has his take on the firsthalf..kinda sums up the whole game i think

At the Half - Extra Points - Boston.com

< Back to front page Text size – +
At the Half
E-mail|Link|Comments (2) Posted by Staff October 25, 2009 02:28 PM

By Albert Breer

LONDON -- It may be 21-7 right now.

But I doubt Bill Belichick's a very happy camper. The Patriots have turned it over twice -- Both on throws where it looked Tom Brady was guiding the ball too much. And they had a punt blocked, which came right after a successful fake was negated by a false start call.

And the Buccaneers are just bad enough so it really doesn't matter.

New England's saving grace here has been big plays. Sam Aiken turned a drag up for a 54-yard touchdown, breaking loose from a Barrett Ruud arm-tackle in the process. Brandon Meriweather made a great read on Josh Johnson on the Bucs first possession, breaking on a ball intended for Sammie Stroughter -- who sat down in a dead spot in the zone -- picking it off and going 39 yards for a touchdown. And then there was a quick, 6-play, 57-yard drive.

But a lot of the rest of it has been U-G-L-Y. Give the Buccaneers some credit. They keep coming.

It's hard to see a way the Patriots lose this one. At the same time, if they keep playing this way, they'll go into the bye with a pretty bad taste in their collective mouths. A real illustration of how this game has played is that it's been real close in total yards -- Pats 197, Bucs 162 -- and that's something I, for one, didn't see coming.

One thing I'm noticing about other pass-effective teams is how they attack multiple levels of the defense. It seems as though the Pats are mainly deep, and ultra short screens/crossing routes.

Maybe it's a lack of TV exposure here in the midwest, but it seems as though our offense isn't attacking defense's in the 15-25 yard range.

That is a far too negative view of the first half.

Brady threw two picks, the offensive line got called for a ton of penalties - the rest of the game was purely positive. I think that first pick Brady threw to Moss would probably be a catch - or at worst, an incompletion - if Moss were healthy, he clearly continues to play through a lot of pain.

I listened to the game on satellite radio while travaling south thru Kansas. It sounded to me like the Bucs gave it all they had but were simply overwhelmed by a much better team. Lotta penalties by the Patriots offensive line too. Not much to complain about when you win 35-7 in a foreign stadium I don't suppose.

Last edited:
Offensively it was scruffy but defensively they had a good game and got good pressure all game against one of the better O Line personell in the league, especially the interior. Merriweather is fast becoming one of the best players on D, his first pick was outstanding and before you knew it was a pick he was in the endzone, his speed to read the play, get there and get gone was that fast.

Offence just looked like it was going through the motions at times and Brady's first pick highlighted the problem he has. Even if he trusted Moss the guy was double covered and Brady had room to run it in himself or atleast gain good yardage. That eagerness is something Brady needs to overcome right now, he's still trying to force things but it will come. Welker was great as usual, he's so stupidly quick he gassed the Bucs D chasing him.

Overall it was a good game, ok against a very poor team but you still have to make it happen to win a game and we did.

Last edited:
This defense is solid and still getting better every week. I love it.
Once the offense gets consistent; we will roll to the SB imo.

To be fair the 2 picks were both bad throws, the first TB didnt have to make at all, just slide for the first, the second Tate was open but it was underthrown and Tallib did a great job

The D again played great, aggressive and good to see Chung and Butler getting more game time

The running game though is a BIG concern

Meh its a win and I should be happier than I am right now. It was very sloppy game but it was pretty much over by second quarter. It was good to see Chung out there, getting some playing time. Always seem to be around the ball. And seems like Brady is more comfortable in poket. That was beautiful throw to Watson. Win is a win. They probably should have beat them by bigger margin but Bucs defense stayed pretty competitive despite the score.

Only here could a team win 35-7 and fans be upset with the team's play.

I'm disappointed in Breer, too. I hope he brings better shyt than that to Extra Points. This is the NFL - there's another team on the field, Talib & Jackson made great plays on those picks - and that was pretty much it for the negative for the Pats.

This defense is solid and still getting better every week. I love it.
Once the offense gets consistent; we will roll to the SB imo.
Holy cow!
Indy & Pitt both have outstanding passing games. We just came off of playing Kerry Collins and Josh Johnson, hardly a measuring stick for our defense against a good offense.
Just 3 weeks ago, we couldn't buy a late game stop against Kyle Orton & the Broncos, nor could we sustain a drive against their defense.

Only here could a team win 35-7 and fans be upset with the team's play.

I'm disappointed in Breer, too. I hope he brings better shyt than that to Extra Points. This is the NFL - there's another team on the field, Talib & Jackson made great plays on those picks - and that was pretty much it for the negative for the Pats.

Breer was right in his assessment, and Talib got the pick because Brady didn't read the field well enough to see him on the play. Brady admitted he didn't see him on the throw during a post game interview. It wasn't about a great play by Talib, it was about a poor job of recognition by Brady compounded by a ball that was underthrown by several yards.

This board has been overly negative in recent years, as the attacks on Cassel early last year highlighted pretty well. However, in a bizarro situation, the pendulum has shifted far too much to the other side this season. This year, people can't seem to admit to even obvious problems, issues, or questions.

Last edited:
Breer was right in his assessment, and Talib got the pick because Brady didn't read the field well enough to see him on the play. Brady admitted he didn't see him on the throw during a post game interview. It wasn't about a great play by Talib, it was about a poor job of recognition by Brady compounded by a ball that was underthrown by several yards.

This board has been overly negative in recent years, as the attacks on Cassel early last year highlighted pretty well. However, in a bizarro situation, the pendulum has shifted far too much to the other side this season. This year, people can't seem to admit to even obvious problems, issues, or questions.

He threw a pick - they happen. He threw two picks, that happens. What's happened is that since 2007 people expect this team to play 100% mistake free football every play, every game, against every opponent. It's pure insanity. If we applied this mentality in 2001, 2003, 2004, we would've thought those teams blew.

Some of you really need to stop focusing so much attention on the minutae with this team and start watching some other teams play in the off chance you could develop some sort of perspective on the game. :ugh:

What happened to Warren?

Any other injuries?

He threw a pick - they happen. He threw two picks, that happens. What's happened is that since 2007 people expect this team to play 100% mistake free football every play, every game, against every opponent. It's pure insanity. If we applied this mentality in 2001, 2003, 2004, we would've thought those teams blew.

So Albert Breer and Phil Simms were both just crazy, then?

I'm sorry, but they saw the same thing I did. There were all sorts of opportunities for Tampa out there.

What happened to Warren?

Any other injuries?

Warren - ankle
Vollmer - ankle
Moss - banged up on a nasty hit occuring after he clearly dropped the pass.
brady - shoulder (for the past five years and the next five years).

So Albert Breer and Phil Simms were both just crazy, then?

I'm sorry, but they saw the same thing I did. There were all sorts of opportunities for Tampa out there.

Right, but so what? I'm with MoLewisRocks, its all about perspective. I'm not denying Brady had a couple terrible plays & that the offensive line had a very sloppy game - but overall, the team is in a good place. Every unit can't bring its A game every week. Belichick can ream them out for little mistakes, but its asinine that we sit here and throw a fit over a couple picks or a couple bad plays.

As for Breer & Simms - Simms was referring specifically to our defense playing aggressively, and Tampa having a chance to exploit it - they did once all game. For Breer, the guy has become increasingly negative as he's gone national, and has been pretty skeptical about this teams' chances this season from the outset. Clearly, he wants to stick by that. I still think he's one of the best in the biz, but he's been hard on this team since the offseason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back