PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2008 NFL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's not like there are any positions that need starters, either. So they were going to be drafting a backup somewhere. Might as well be at QB. Brady was injured last playoffs, and that injury could have been more serious. Do you really feel safe with Matt Cassel stepping in? The front office obviously doesn't.

Cassell was in BB's doghouse ever since he came in and threw that pick returned for a TD against Fins.

I like it. Ensures the Jets don't get him. Said they were after Flacco.

It has been two years and I keep thinking that they (BB,SP) know what they are doing. But last year's draft was an absolute bust for picks (great job in trades), and now they have reached greatly twice in rounds one and two (I like the Mayo pick, it could have been made @15 though), traded out of a good spot in round three (SD 2nd next year will at the most be less than ten spots lower than the pick the just traded. I would have loved Hestor, Cottom, or Dan Connor in that spot. Ot take Crable and then pick Zibikowski or Steve Slaton in the Crable spot.

I have no idea what they are doing with the QB pick?

Now they don't draft again until the 30th pick of the 4th round, long past the time that they are going to find anyone who is going to make this club. I can only hope that the punter Dragasavich is still around at that pick.

Welcome to the draft Romeo...Takes Beau Bell with the Browns first pick.

Does it make me "rhymes with Randall Gay" to think that this O'Connell kid probably got the hottest chicks in college? Maybe the team doctors ought to give him a blood test.

Anyone else like Athyba Rubin at this pick?

Anyone else like Athyba Rubin at this pick?

Yep. In fact, Rubin and Burton leap to mind.

Others: Kerry Brown, Darius Raynaud, even Ikegwuono, maybe Haynos

Still available, I believe.
RB
Thomas Brown
Andre Callender
Xavier Omon
Note: Quite a few of these guys are of the third down back variety.

FB
Schmitt
Hillis

WR
Josh Johnson (College QB, who'll convert to possession WR)
Reynaud

TE
Kellen Davis
Joey Haynos [Tallest TE in the draft]
Matt Sherry

OT
Nicks
Hills

OG
Schuening

CB
Ikegwuonu: he'll go late in the draft (6th round I'm guessing) because of the injury and other concerns, but was a very good player, and the Patriots could red shirt him for a year.
Orlando Scandrick
DeJuan Tribble

SS
Barrett
Adams
Silva

ILB
Jonathan Goff
Erin Henderson (ILB/OLB hyrid) [I'm not completely sold on his fit for the system]
Jameel McClain
Jeremy Leman
Stanford Keglar

OLB
Darrell Robertson
Ezra Butler [played in a 34, started his career out at DT, had good numbers at OLB]

D-line
Athyba Rubin
Frank Okam

Last edited:
Mike Hart is available as well, sebman. I'd say he's probably the best back left. Sporting News compares Anthony Aldridge from Houston to Kevin Faulk. Maybe he's a possibility?

Pats on the clock.

Another 5'9 CB. This will please some of the locals/.

Jonathan Wilhite CB, Auburn.

Almost put him on my list, but decided some other CB's were of higher priority...:bricks:

Well, the war room has addressed our two biggest needs (LB and CB) with four out of the first five picks. At least two of these guys need to become significant players.

Last edited:
We just traded up to pick #153.

And select Matt Slater, WR, UCLA.

Last edited:
Pats trade with Tampa to get their 5th rounder. They must have someone specific in mind obviously. Interestingly enough this pick is right before Atlanta (Hi Dimitrioff!), guessing they are picking similar players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST