PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2008 NFL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bo Rudd, LB from Nebraska. Brother of Barrett I assume????

Bo Ruud Is the pick.

Another guy I looked at on the list of prospects, but didn't add to my best remaining list....:bricks:

another OLB for Pats. Nice. His name is bo ruud

Bo Ruud, OLB.

Very surprised that the Pats didn't address the O-line. Flat out blown away.

it seems like we drafted 3 OLBs. Is it a good thing.?

Ruud is currently too small for a Pats linebacker, 6-3 235 lbs. He needs to put on 10-15 lbs. I think they intend to develop him on the practice squad.
He has a grade of 2.77 and is projected to be a UDFA. This late in the draft BB is probably thinking, why the hell not? :)
http://cgi.cnnsi.com/football/2008/draft/players/19848.html

Last edited:
Actually, Mayo will be playing ILB for the Pats.

Correct, and Ruud could project to ILB, as well.

BoRuud.jpg

Strengths: Possesses good height, adequate bulk and room on his frame to get bigger. Also possesses good straight-line speed for his size. Very instinctive and gets quicker breaks on the ball than most at his position. Takes solid angles in pursuit, consistently breaks down in space and plays under control. Does a very good job of tackling low and shows adequate power at the point of attack. Does not miss many open field tackles. Displays good instincts and shows good awareness in zone coverage. Closes quickly on the ball in front of him and will separate the receiver from the ball with initial pop. Also displays better-than-average ball skills in coverage. Has some potential as a pass rusher and uses his straight-line burst and power to occasionally make plays in that facet of the game. He's a hard worker with great passion for football.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal athleticism. Has good straight-line speed but is stiff in his hips. The more space he's in the less effective he becomes. He struggles to change directions quickly and will not be able to match up versus most RB's in man-to-man coverage. Not an explosive hitter and seems to lack ideal power with his hand punch. Slightly undersized and needs to improve bulk in order to hold up as a strong-side LB in the NFL. Also must improve his hands and consistency when attempting to shed blocks. Slowed by a knee injury last year and durability is somewhat of a concern.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=12093

Mike Hart is finally taken. Indy grabs him at pick #202. I have a feeling that we'll be seeing a lot of Hart in the future.

Bo Rudd, LB from Nebraska. Brother of Barrett I assume????

Yes, Barrett is his brother.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone else surprised they actually selected three LB's, and didn't take any DL's, OL's, TE's, or RB's?

OT:

Is McClain still available (I didn't look yet)?

You know who's having a bad weekend?

TJ Slaughter.

I haven't read through all of the 600+ posts in this thread so forgive me if this has been discussed, but the great thing so far about this draft is the competition it sets up for training camp. Between cornerback, backup QB and linebacker, there are going to be some spots where the competition will be fun to watch.

Mike Hart is finally taken. Indy grabs him at pick #202. I have a feeling that we'll be seeing a lot of Hart in the future.

He's a good player. Very good. Indy will use him, that's for sure.

I don't generally think the 'competition' is a good thing -- I'd rather draft to address needs that to create competition. When you are undefeated, though, chances are you have few holes. I like that the pats are bringing in kids to learn from our amazing vets. I hope the torch passing goes well and that we are simply stacking the dynasty for the next generation of fans. Kudos to the brain trust. We are very lucky fans.

why does pats not have 'Compensatory selection' in the last round.?

I'm surprised that they drafted no tight ends.
There were several opportunities to grab one, and they passed.
Awfully deep at LB, but no depth at TE right now.

I'm surprised that they drafted no tight ends.
There were several opportunities to grab one, and they passed.
Awfully deep at LB, but no depth at TE right now.

They're probably content with Spach or Pollard as the third TE, assuming both Watson and Dave Thomas are healthy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft