PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2008 NFL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The knock on him is that he's injury prone, but he has good size and speed. Under the tutalege of Bill Belichick who makes corners out of wide receivers, he should be a contributor.

The knock on him is that he's injury prone, but he has good size and speed. Under the tutalege of Bill Belichick who makes corners out of wide receivers, he should be a contributor.

5'9"?

That's why I wouldn't have predicted this.

Compares To: ELLIS HOBBS-New England...Like Hobbs, Wheatley is a solid shutdown cornerback, thanks to outstanding timed speed and a good understanding of route progression. He is fully recovered from wrist problems that hampered him earlier in his career and showed much better tackling form and power behind his hits as a senior. He has excellent timing and leaping ability competing for the ball in flight and brings added value as a kickoff returner. He makes good adjustments on the move and is an efficient cut tackler who knows how to lower and drive with his shoulder to take the blockers out of action. He will need to continue adding bulk to his frame, but that should not impact his exceptional acceleration. Like Hobbs, he is smart enough to play a variety of roles in the secondary and his versatility will be a plus earlier in his pro career.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/terrence-wheatley?id=328

Remember when Logan Mankins was called a reach, someone we could have held off on until the 3rd round?

Then it turned out that the 49ers had Mankins all but selected with the pick right after ours, and instead had to content themselves with a different guard, David Bass.

Sundayhack said:

No surprise here he was the 2nd fastest CB in the 3-cone ... 6.74. Belichick always gets a good 3-cone guy. I remember when Deion Branch had the fastest the year we took him.

This is funny ... from the combine site:

Quote:
Compares To: ELLIS HOBBS-New England...Like Hobbs, Wheatley is a solid shutdown cornerback, thanks to outstanding timed speed and a good understanding of route progression. He is fully recovered from wrist problems that hampered him earlier in his career and showed much better tackling form and power behind his hits as a senior. He has excellent timing and leaping ability competing for the ball in flight and brings added value as a kickoff returner. He makes good adjustments on the move and is an efficient cut tackler who knows how to lower and drive with his shoulder to take the blockers out of action. He will need to continue adding bulk to his frame, but that should not impact his exceptional acceleration. Like Hobbs, he is smart enough to play a variety of roles in the secondary and his versatility will be a plus earlier in his pro career.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/terrence-wheatley?id=328

Sorry but when I read this I thought of someone and giggled...his head must have exploded, another Ellis Hobbs...LOL :D

Sorry but when I read this I thought of someone and giggled...his head must have exploded, another Ellis Hobbs...LOL :D

Yes, so did I. Which is exactly why I said I was surprised. Not saying it's a bad pick because, after all, what the hell do I know. I was surprised only because that puts two bookend 5'9" guys with quickness at the corners. That's unusual in today's NFL.

Me too ...kind of why I posted it ... bad month for the guy :rofl:

Yes, so did I. Which is exactly why I said I was surprised. Not saying it's a bad pick because, after all, what the hell do I know. I was surprised only because that puts two bookend 5'9" guys with quickness at the corners. That's unusual in today's NFL.

You were unaware Bill is unusual? Contrary to some opinion, they have always been very pleased with their selection of Ellis Hobbs. In addition to his skill set, and despite his diminutive size, he is a highly coachable and instinctive, self motivated team first player who plays well even when he's hurt. A good football player. The only corner on this team to secure a pick in the last Superbowl, though not the only one to give up a TD...

If you know who were still he I would bet the farm he would be saying they are dumb ****s for taking another midget...LOL Yup, dumb ****s with 3 Lombardis in the vault...

Um, are you aware how tall our bookend corners were last year?

You were unaware Bill is unusual? Contrary to some opinion, they have always been very pleased with their selection of Ellis Hobbs. In addition to his skill set, and despite his diminutive size, he is a highly coachable and instinctive, self motivated team first player who plays well even when he's hurt. A good football player. The only corner on this team to secure a pick in the last Superbowl, though not the only one to give up a TD...

If you know who were still he I would bet the farm he would be saying they are dumb ****s for taking another midget...LOL Yup, dumb ****s with 3 Lombardis in the vault...

I think you're reading more into what I'm posting than what I'm actually posting. But that's okay. Go with your gut.

Anyone think they might be stocking up on third round picks (they currently have three), so they can trade one or two of them for an established pro?

I'm thinking that could be in the plans, and their trading one of those third rounders for a 2009 second rounder could be in the cards, as well.

Anyone think they might be stocking up on third round picks (they currently have three), so they can trade one or two of them for an established pro?

I'm thinking that could be in the plans, and their trading one of those third rounders for a 2009 second rounder could be in the cards, as well.

i think they're done w/ FA for this year. i think they want to bring in young players now. the "chock full of vets" is "so last year" for the pats.
lol

i think they're done w/ FA for this year. i think they want to bring in young players now. the "chock full of vets" is "so last year" for the pats.
lol

Unless they can get JT for a late 3rd round pick. The Fins postured that they wanted a 1st rounder, but obviously they got no takers, not even a 2nd round pick.

Lions just traded up i heard.

Targeting Dan Connor.

Taylor, Chad Johnson are the only two out there.

i know connor isn't the best fit for our system, but i'm wondering if its worth a shot at him with one of these early third rounders - he doesn't have awesome measurables but he was really productive.

Carolina just snagged Godfrey

Avril's still on the board, and NE's coming up soon...

Chevis Jackson's gone...NE's on the clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand