PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offensive Pass Protection Breakdown (EXCELLENT READ)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Offensive Pass Protection Breakdown

thanks for the analysis...

but i have to comment, it seems a good number of college O-lines could have done a better job then ours did in the SB....

also, how did our O-line do so bad? now im thinking the giants D-line played out of their minds...but it was the scheme as well...it had to be...too many guys were getting left unopen somehow...i dont get it....

im thinking that some prominent defensive minded heads came together...and created a gameplan for the giants front 7....lets not lie, a lot of NFL related personnel wanted us to lose that game...

Well, really, what is there to say about this game other than the obvious?
unoriginal......

I really appreciate the work you put into your breakdown presentations for us to digest

I have yet to re-watch/edit my DVDR of the game, but had intended to do so for the express purpose of seeing where the O-line breakdowns were most prevalent

having seen the game originally at a SB party and w/ the alcohol flowing, I didn't see clearly where the flaws were on the O-line, especially on Mankins' part (d%#*!@t)

thanks for this gruesome, yet still appreciated, report card

Awesome, albeit depressing, work by Unoriginal. This is really great stuff and I was looking forward to this thread.

So in your opinion Unoriginal - there was nothing McD & BB could've done to overcome the struggling OLine? What is your opinion on the play of Brady, he's taking some criticism from people here who think he was off the mark during the game, but more likely it looks like he just didn't have enough time to be effective.

It's a frustrating conclusion to accept that with the best offense in the history of the game, there was nothing anyone could do to beat that Giants team simply b/c the OL decided not to show up. It's also a frightening thought should the two teams ever meet again in the Super Bowl, not that I think the Giants will be back, but I know we will be.

Great work..have not totally digested it all...will reread...what was the difference between game 17 and the SUperbowl...as to what the Pats did..the Giants did??? Was it just the play wa snot as good or a strategy, approach?? Or both...

Awesome, albeit depressing, work by Unoriginal. This is really great stuff and I was looking forward to this thread.

So in your opinion Unoriginal - there was nothing McD & BB could've done to overcome the struggling OLine? What is your opinion on the play of Brady, he's taking some criticism from people here who think he was off the mark during the game, but more likely it looks like he just didn't have enough time to be effective.

It's a frustrating conclusion to accept that with the best offense in the history of the game, there was nothing anyone could do to beat that Giants team simply b/c the OL decided not to show up. It's also a frightening thought should the two teams ever meet again in the Super Bowl, not that I think the Giants will be back, but I know we will be.

This is my question as well, could BB and McD have come up with a scheme to prevent what the Giants were doing, or because the O-line sucked so badly the outcome was about what could be expected.

Man, I just kept thinking they need to do something different to get these guys blocked. Were they just flat out beating us and we weren't going to get them blocked?

thanks for the analysis...

but i have to comment, it seems a good number of college O-lines could have done a better job then ours did in the SB....

also, how did our O-line do so bad? now im thinking the giants D-line played out of their minds...but it was the scheme as well...it had to be...too many guys were getting left unopen somehow...i dont get it....

im thinking that some prominent defensive minded heads came together...and created a gameplan for the giants front 7....lets not lie, a lot of NFL related personnel wanted us to lose that game...

Could be! I remember when my high school coach showed a film of another team that had a massive offensive line. The irony is that particular line did some subtle little things that gave away the play they were going to run! Perhaps the Giants coaches saw something similar on film about the Patriots starting 5.

Man, I just kept thinking they need to do something different to get these guys blocked. Were they just flat out beating us and we weren't going to get them blocked?

Fred and Steve did an analysis of a couple of plays tonite on NE Tailgate. Basically, they showed one play where they mentally broke down (Koppen) and one play where they physically broke down (Mankins), but unoriginal's thread is basically more in-depth and with more plays.

Great analysis.

I think your analysis will proven as in agreement with the Pat's coaches analysis if they draft an OL early. This didn't look like something you coach up, but more of a physical matchup problem.

Fantastic analysis!

The Patriots offensive line was wretched in pass protection against the Giants. McDaniels was better off calling the "three yards and a cloud of dust" plays.

That is great stuff.

Amazing how bad their D-line beat our O-line. There is no scheme, no coaching, no anything you can do when your getting beaten consistently all across the front line.

Last edited:

Impressive work -- you must have a trust fund.

Logan Spankins terrible play is clear in that footage. Very surprising -- he played violently well all year.

Very impressive work,,

Seems like the Giants front office has done an excellent job of;

1) getting talent

2) Thinking outside the box, how many teams can line up 4 DE's across the LOS?? Could it be our Interior OL had never seen so much speed combined with a few confusing stunts to get them out of synch??? (A few more stunts than in December)

The Giants may be the only team built to beat a team like the Pats(I hope there aren't any more)

Last edited:

But if one looks at his analysis of Giants in 17..there is ALMOST the same type sitiation....
8 sacks vs 2
9 knockdowns vs 6
17 pressures vs 21
similar...they sacked more of course.... but they way people have been talking...I would have expected the SB numbers to have been so much greater...

Fantastic work unoriginal. I have a question for those ol gurus. I'm more of a dl guy. I've seen that our ol takes very tight splits.

I guess the splits they take are tighter than most, maybe, but I guess I've never really noticed much of a difference. The Pats (and most teams, I think) like to have their offensive line "fan out" in their pass drops to pick up some angle leverage on rushers instead of collapsing in on a tight pocket.

Kaczur got beat with speed all night. Strahan just ran around him. Osi and Strahan lined up very wide on obvious passing situations. Kaczur and Light don't suck. As, many posters think. We didn't get 589 points by accident. But, could we have split them out wider to give them better leverage in pushing those de's past Brady? Our t's don't take that exaggerated stance that a lot of teams use. Where T cheats back off line, supposed to be within 1yd but some guys push that. Then, they take their outside foot and set it up about 1/2 yard behind front foot allowing them to turn their shoulders quicker and square up and take de's coming in from outside with a better base and leverage.

They do use that stance, maybe not as much as other teams? Like I said above, they seem to prefer fanning out protection over collapsing it, which is what that 2-point stance is for.

how did our O-line do so bad? now im thinking the giants D-line played out of their minds...but it was the scheme as well...it had to be...too many guys were getting left unopen somehow...i dont get it....

Great work..have not totally digested it all...will reread...what was the difference between game 17 and the SUperbowl...as to what the Pats did..the Giants did??? Was it just the play wa snot as good or a strategy, approach?? Or both...

When they blitzed, they sent a lot of pressure through the guard gaps. They'd stunt away from it to open up the middle of the line, then send defensive backs and sometimes linebackers through. Other teams, and the Giants in Week 17, tended to bring that pressure from outside the tackles.

See above the two plays with Kevin Dockerty and Gibril Wilson blitzing, and check out the play listing for all the Dockerty + Wilson or Kavitka Mitchell zone blitzes. In the first game, the Giants' favorite blitz was Aaron Ross from the outside.

Plus, in the first game, Osi Umenyiora never really came to play. He was better in this game, plus Justin Tuck and Strahan were their previous outstanding selves.

I don't think Brady was particularly sharp, he missed some stuff even when he had time, starting from the very first drive.

There probably was something the Pats could have done to be more effective than they were, but I can't sit here and with any certainly say it would have been this or that. The Giants are a big tough team from the NFC East so its not its a foregone conclusion we could have run them over with Evans and Maroney. Our tight ends weren't blocking particularly well in the run game either.

Very impressive work,,

Seems like the Giants front office has done an excellent job of;

1) getting talent

2) Thinking outside the box, how many teams can line up 4 DE's across the LOS?? Could it be our Interior OL had never seen so much speed combined with a few confusing stunts to get them out of synch??? (A few more stunts than in December)

The Giants may be the only team built to beat a team like the Pats(I hope there aren't any more)

The Colts have a defense built on speed and front-only pressure, only they are small, get injured more, and are no longer as talented. But in 2006 they rode a similar defense to the Super Bowl.

But if one looks at his analysis of Giants in 17..there is ALMOST the same type sitiation....
8 sacks vs 2
9 knockdowns vs 6
17 pressures vs 21
similar...they sacked more of course.... but they way people have been talking...I would have expected the SB numbers to have been so much greater...

I think you've got a good handle on it. My analysis of Week 17 was that the Giants were special when it came to creating interior pressure. Add more interior zone blitzes, a deeper defensive tackle rotation and an awake Osi Umenyiora, and you've got the Super Bowl. Also, their defensive backs stopped ****ing up coverages and giving the Pats gimme touchdowns (see Randy Moss' 50th).

Last edited:

So Defense really does win championships after all....
Been a sports fan for many years and in almost all the sports that I follow (many) - sports defense is key to winning. Yes, I LOVED watching all those touchdown passes this year but in the end a good old smashmouth defense will bring the Lombardi home.

Nothing earth shattering in this post, just more of a 'bump' on this thread as excellent work on the (really offensive) line analysis. Here's hoping for a good draft on the D side of the team. Yes I want Moss signed but hoping for a good haul of young rookies (day 1 draft) to learn while the veterans are still here -hopefully Rodney and one of Teddy or Seau will be back to give some wisdom to some young talent....

excellent. thanks for the time and work. your presentation left me numb right after i went through it. it's a lot harder to look at the still pictures and see the plays unfold step by painful step than it was to watch on sunday when i was immediately distracted by the next play.

you've presented such clear evidence about how badly our line was beaten up play after play that i don't know where to turn.

Looking only at the Offense, if my going in-assumption is that we have the best O-line and Offense in the NFL, then I am left with one of two possible explanations:

1) The offense is still the best in the NFL, but there was a complete and total, across-the-board (coaches and players) breakdown in the most important game any of them will ever coach or play. In other words, the worst possible confluence of events at the worst possible time conspired to allow a defense to prevail that on any other day would not have prevailed.

2) The Giants are indeed "that good" and simply beat up and whupped the best offense in the NFL with a superior defense.

Right now, I don't know the answer. If the Giants become an "average" team again next season, then I'd be inclined to pick Number 1 (total breakdown at the worst possible time). If they make another run at the NFC championship and dominate their competition, then it would be Number 2.

So Defense really does win championships after all....
That truly is the moral of the story. As good as the pats O was the D was not dictating as the Giants D was. There is solace in if, as a Pats fan, one can be truly honest and realize that even with at 19-0 (4 point SB win) this team would not have been the greatest team ever. so its just a SB loss which is not as bad as the greater implications of the loss that has many of us saddened.

Perhaps one of the best breakdowns I have ever seen on any teams MB including the Giants.

I just want to say, this is one of the Greatest Breakdowns I've ever seen...fantastic job.

We got beat up physically and there's nothing to energize a line better than to let them dish it out for a while. The giants were cramping up, we could have played a few series of smashmouth and even passed out of the max protect.

If a couple series with a jumbo lineup would have helped get us off the defensive, I can't think of a better strategy other than what we did, which was to feed right into their pressure at all costs strategy.

Running backs injured? It's the Super Bowl

Essentially, I agree: it's up to the coaching staff to come up with antidotes to the opponents' poison. The Giants poison was their pass rush. Yeah, we tried and failed in the run game, but how many times did we try?? The game was close enough that sticking with a power game or at least doing something offensive with the O-line, where the guys get to go on the offensive and lay some wood, that would have smashed the Giants D in their mouth. The best way to lose momentum is to keep playing into the strength of what the opponent is doing well, and the Pats did exactly that.

Bad scores for both McDaniels and BB for letting that crap go on for as long as it did, essentially allowing the Giants to dictate the tempo and momentum of the game. Bad, bad. Jumbo up, put in the power team, and take it to them. Offense is what made the Pats the whole year, a balanced offense. One-dimensional offenses are always easier to bottle up. Ask the old AFL/AFC of 30 years ago (Chargers, in particular). BB and Josh put the game into the hands of an injured Brady and asked him to win the game all by himself. Like the Giants weren't expecting that?? BB and McDaniels got out-coached, sorry to say.

//

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back