PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offensive Pass Protection Breakdown (EXCELLENT READ)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Offensive Pass Protection Breakdown

I'm a Steelers fan and this is one of my favorite posts on any forum to read, Sticky the heck out of it. Its one of the best breakdowns of a game that I've ever seen...

and Yes, I will be Stealing (pun) your method to breakdown Steelers oline play next season, if its anything like this past years, I'll have loads of work to keep me busy.

Great work.
Looking forward to it. What forum?

GREAT POST! But, as many have said seeing, looking, thinking, replaying it all................ it makes me sick. Seriously, this is still one of the hardest losses I have ever had to indure. ESPN2 had a show on tonight called SUPER BOWL XLII 360. It was just about all the background people that make the big day possible. I couldn't bare to even watch that. Man this one will always hurt, even when we win the MF'n SUPERBOWL next year! GO PATS GO PATS GO PATS GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!! I blame no one! We win together and we loose together! O-Line, I got much love for you! Thanks for the 50 TD record breaking season! 18-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O-Line, start growing next years beards now, so you can pull off a ZZ-TOP kinda thing! SWEET! GO PATS GO PATS!

Wow, you made my head hurt. It should have been screen pass city out there.

First,EXCELLENT post if you dont already know. Now a couple questions:

My analysis was that the line was getting the stuffing kicked out of it by an overly aggressive front four....why then didnt we try a SINGLE DRAW??
I think the pats played way too "middle of the road", being outplayed I would have done one of 2 things....both going to extremes....
1--Obviously the Jumbo package calls for more blockers, and being beat at least takes it to them physically....
2--Go 4 wide and spread the field. Using timing routes and 1-on-1 coverage jump balls and mismatches would have been more bearable than the SAME THING OVER AND OVER. It really didnt look like they tried different schemes, it showed how hurt Neal was and how inadequate Hochstien is....I also saw more pressure coming over the right side when Faulk was set up left....I didnt see any adjustments to shade him to pressure to chip before his assignment decided to blitz. And the way Tuck was playing I bet a Denver coach would have had em cut up front that would have slowed them down...legally. It didnt look like the guards ever got to the legs of the DTs. The T's were doing OK, but the combinations inside were never dealt with.

Seeing as how this is still getting responses, I'm going to correct one of my pictures from the first post. It was Strahan sitting Hochstein down at 14:53 in the 3rd, not Justin Tuck. I noted it correctly in the play-by-play, but screwed up the picture:

hochfall3rdapd4.jpg

Tuck is in the Mankins-Koppen double team, Barry Cofield is on Matt Light, Osi Umenyiora is dropping into a zone, Antonio Pierce is on Nick Kaczur and Maroney is blocking Gibril Wilson. This is an example of a zone blitz.

Last edited:
Wow, just a great, informative read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots