PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offensive Capability more then we think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we just drafted a second round receiver, he looks promising yet let's limit his future reps and draft another receiver. Makes sense...

I'm assuming that he means add another receiver or TE to the mix along with our younger rookies, who will still be competing for starting positions just like anyone else. I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility, especially if you take UDFAs, free agents from other teams, or mid to lower round selections at either of the positions of TE/WR. Dobson will probably be expected to start and see a lot of reps, but we have no idea at all about Thompkins or Boyce; all we know is that they were here THIS season.

They did some nice things at times, while also looking horrible at other times. I could certainly envision a scenario where one of Dobson, Thompkins, or Boyce doesn't see much of the field or is injured. I highly doubt they'll all be soaring to the limits of NFL production. We definitely could use another viable option somewhere, especially if Edelman receives a better offer and leaves.

I wouldn't be shocked if Dobson and KT's roles next year are limited especially if we try and get a veteran through free agency and draft a physical WR or TE

I can certainly respect your thought that we'll continue to explore all options and try to improve the position. I don't think that they'll be using another higher round pick at WR though, although they could explore the position of TE in the draft for sure if the right player is there. We still have free agency, and will have to see what happens with JE and his situation too.

I was talking with my father, a long time SF 49er fan who is a former football assistant defensive backs coach for a small division two school back in the 80's and he said the following which is why I'm sharing it with you guys and want your take.. "I hate when people say NE doesn't have any weapons, outside of Blount, and Ridley because I can name plenty. For starters Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman are excellent receivers, they are not just good but excellent all-around. And that Vereen kid reminds me of Roger C. The rookie young men Thompkins and Dobson I definitely see some Chad here and there and Aaron reminds me of a Rice or Moss mix .. those boys just have to put it all together, but they got some greatness in them for sure" NOW, I want you guy's honest opinion on this.. this kind of got me amped up being as though he never says anything like that.. what are you guy's take and do you think McDaniels will open things up more in the post season?

Yeah, I can easily see why anyone would look at our receivers and compare them to some of the greatest to ever play the game. Let's look at their past 10 games to see why:

PAST 10 games:

Kenbrell Thompkins---11 total catches and ZERO TD's

Josh Boyce ---08 total catches and ZERO TD's

This was our "big" producer as far as the rookie WRs since week #6:

Aaron Dobson ---15 total catches and 3 TD's

It's not really rocket science to see why Julian Edelman saw 150+ targets, now is it?

I think the key to any offensive success the Pats might have in the postseason this year rests with the running game. They don't have the horses right now to go all pass, all the time. Frankly, even when they had the horses, the all pass, all the time offense wasn't that successful in the postseason.

Sorry but nobody here truly cares about what you friend had to say.

I laughed out loud reading this:

"I hate when people say NE doesn't have any weapons, outside of Blount, and Ridley"

(Implying Blount and Ridley are actually worth mentioning very first when it comes to our "weapons". Good one. )

This guy obviously looks no further than the past 2 games and thats it.

Sorry but nobody here truly cares about what you friend had to say.

I laughed out loud reading this:

(Implying Blount and Ridley are actually worth mentioning very first when it comes to our "weapons". Good one. )

This guy obviously looks no further than the past 2 games and thats it.

NEPettyOfficer72 seems like a nice enough guy, but he's a wildly over the top homer. While that's certainly not a crime and even respected a bit in certain circles as far as showing his fandom, it's difficult sometimes to believe his thoughts regarding predictions and how talented every single player is.

I think I can understand the "we aren't as respected as we should be on offense" theory, and maybe even consider believing it on some smaller scale since most average fans don't know how we've been doing it with overachieving players, but I just can't agree with these threads pointing out how insanely great everything will line up to be in terms of records, points scored, and awesome players every year.

That said, it's a free country and everyone has the right to voice their opinion.

Almost every receiver on an NFL roster shows flashes of greatness; that's one of the requirements for even being a JAG. Technique/gloves/etc. are better than these days. I recall when a one-handed catch was truly unusual; I think the first one I saw was by Lynn Swann, when he was in college, pulling a ball in from behind his ear. Now anybody with a roster spot is capable of making one.

I think that's relevant to assessing the views of somebody whose football involvement peaked several decades ago.

Yeah, I can easily see why anyone would look at our receivers and compare them to some of the greatest to ever play the game. Let's look at their past 10 games to see why:

PAST 10 games:

It's not really rocket science to see why Julian Edelman saw 150+ targets, now is it?

Exactly, i trust Brady. He goes with the guys he trusts and it's mini-tron. Perhaps Dobson is the real deal, but if Brady doesn't think so we should look for a veteran. I really think we need a physical WR.

Austin Collie is back, so he should help at least a little bit.
But damn, the rest of our pass-catchers besides Minitron, including TEs, are the Worst
of the Brady era, worse than 2006.
That's what happens when grocery-shopping is done in the day-old aisle.

I wouldnt sleep on Danny Amendola when he is actually given targets/expanded reps he is productive...look at the Dolphins game

and I think its unfair use Dobson/Thompkins last 5 games as an example of their production...they have been injured. But, they have been 2 of the most productive Rookie receivers of Brady/belicheck era. Dobson I think its going to be a stud for the patriots

for comparison look at Hernandez/Gronks first year...both had roughly the same production(playing in most of the games unlike dobson/thompkins)

Say what you want about the personnel and whether they're the next Ocho or Moss or whoever, but in a year when Denver broke the all-time scoring record and NFL teams as a group scored the most points ever, our offense finished 3rd in points scored, 1 behind 2nd place, and mostly without our best pass receiver in Gronk.

This offense is significantly more capable than most of us think. Despite Josh being a moron and Brady missing easy throws and the kid receivers not being on the right page and Ridley's fumbles and whatever else you want to complain, we've got a top-3 offense in a record-setting year for offenses.

Austin Collie is back, so he should help at least a little bit.
But damn, the rest of our pass-catchers besides Minitron, including TEs, are the Worst
of the Brady era, worse than 2006.
That's what happens when grocery-shopping is done in the day-old aisle.

No one expected our TE to Be arrested, vereen to break a little bone, amendola to tear his groin muscle completely, gronk to tear his acl and sprain his mcl, ridley to gave fumble issues, loss of vollmer and Dobson, Boyce and KT be full time starters immediately. And that is just the offense.

Add in a loss of wilfork, Kelly, mayo and Wilson, then the injury to talib, Arrington, dennard and now spikes. Add in Gregory missing some time.

And the funny thing is, we still are fielding a team that can win the rest of the games in the postseason.

No one expected our TE to Be arrested, vereen to break a little bone, amendola to tear his groin muscle completely, gronk to tear his acl and sprain his mcl, ridley to gave fumble issues, loss of vollmer and Dobson, Boyce and KT be full time starters immediately. And that is just the offense.

I'm not sure what people expected but, in the general sense (injuries/fumble problems) everything except the Prisoner situation was discussed as being possible, if not likely.

Add in a loss of wilfork, Kelly, mayo and Wilson, then the injury to talib, Arrington, dennard and now spikes. Add in Gregory missing some time.

And the funny thing is, we still are fielding a team that can win the rest of the games in the postseason.

We've seen, once again, what great coaching and a great QB can do in the regular season, when the opponents don't have a lot of time to prepare, and the other team isn't drastically more talented. Now we have to see if, once again, teams with more time to prepare and/or with more talent, can overcome the coach/QB edge of the Patriots.

I'm not sure what people expected but, in the general sense (injuries/fumble problems) everything except the Prisoner situation was discussed as being possible, if not likely.

We've seen, once again, what great coaching and a great QB can do in the regular season, when the opponents don't have a lot of time to prepare, and the other team isn't drastically more talented. Now we have to see if, once again, teams with more time to prepare and/or with more talent, can overcome the coach/QB edge of the Patriots.

I don't know if you or anyone expected the injuries. That is hindsight talking deus. No one expected those players to be gone or on IR. deus, amendola only missed 1 more game than welker, so it wouldn't have made a difference if we had Wes :)
How would more teams have more time to prepare for the pats? That would only happen if we made the SB. The other teams we face are only going to have the same 1 week of preparation. If anything, with our secondary healthy, we won't have to worry about the secondary like the past years.

I don't know if you or anyone expected the injuries. That is hindsight talking deus. No one expected those players to be gone or on IR. deus, amendola only missed 1 more game than welker, so it wouldn't have made a difference if we had Wes :)

It's not hindsight at all. It was the topic of God knows how many threads and posts, even before the season. And the Wes thing is nonsense.

How would more teams have more time to prepare for the pats? That would only happen if we made the SB.

Yes...... 0-2 in those, since 2004, largely because a combination of injury and excellent opponent game planning.

The other teams we face are only going to have the same 1 week of preparation. If anything, with our secondary healthy, we won't have to worry about the secondary like the past years.

Time will tell if the Patriots QB/coaching can overcome.

PAST 10 games:

IMO, the problem is not the receivers, it is TOM BRADY

In the days when PATS won superbowls, Brady spread the passes around.
There wasn't one receiver getting used excessively. That made it
harder for Defenses. How many times have myself and guys I watch the
games with, see a wide open receiver but to have TB try to
squeeze it into a tightly covered Edleman or in years past WW.

Why is this bad? Because when you use one receiver most of the time
your other receivers do get the game time confidence for one. Another is
when playoffs come around you are often going to be facing some of the
best Defenses and they can take away the best thing you do. BB is not the
only one that can play that game.

When PATs had Givens and Branch and Brown they all were very involved
in the offense. It wasn't 150+ targets to Brown. Maybe Tom has gotten
lazy and doesn't look past his first or second read any more. BB said, in
the early days, TB processed so much information so quickly. Maybe
his mind just doesn't work as fast as it did when he was younger.

As for the Red Zone? PATs didb't have a problem getting into the Red
Zone when they won superbowls and they didn't have a Gronk then
either. Back then they often used trickery and unexpected things like
a Vinatieri pass to Troy Brown. They were more creative with their
playbook. Where is Charlie when you need him. Charlie always seems to
have something new to pull on defenses.

8 million per year Gronk
8 million per year Hernandez
6 million per year Amendola
trade for Blount
2nd round pick Dobson
4th round pick Boyce

BB iz cheap dats y offenze so badz.

Question if BB made the right moves, but BB stocked the offense plenty.

8 million per year Gronk
8 million per year Hernandez
6 million per year Amendola
trade for Blount
2nd round pick Dobson
4th round pick Boyce

BB iz cheap dats y offenze so badz.

Question if BB made the right moves, but BB stocked the offense plenty.

It is just too bad that gronk and amendola have had 2 injured seasons these past 2.

IMO, the problem is not the receivers, it is TOM BRADY

In the days when PATS won superbowls, Brady spread the passes around.
There wasn't one receiver getting used excessively. That made it
harder for Defenses. How many times have myself and guys I watch the
games with, see a wide open receiver but to have TB try to
squeeze it into a tightly covered Edleman or in years past WW.

Why is this bad? Because when you use one receiver most of the time
your other receivers do get the game time confidence for one. Another is
when playoffs come around you are often going to be facing some of the
best Defenses and they can take away the best thing you do. BB is not the
only one that can play that game.

When PATs had Givens and Branch and Brown they all were very involved
in the offense. It wasn't 150+ targets to Brown. Maybe Tom has gotten
lazy and doesn't look past his first or second read any more. BB said, in
the early days, TB processed so much information so quickly. Maybe
his mind just doesn't work as fast as it did when he was younger.

As for the Red Zone? PATs didb't have a problem getting into the Red
Zone when they won superbowls and they didn't have a Gronk then
either. Back then they often used trickery and unexpected things like
a Vinatieri pass to Troy Brown. They were more creative with their
playbook. Where is Charlie when you need him. Charlie always seems to
have something new to pull on defenses.

I think Brady's only human and has missed some open targets more than usual this season, but he's also done a pretty darn good job of carrying the team on his back under these crazy circumstances just the same.

I think a lot of it is pure trust. Tom does not like making mistakes, and he's more of a competitor than we'll ever really understand, so if a player burns him a handful of times by running an improper route, not seeing the exact same thing that Brady sees in terms of what the defense is doing, or just flat out has a guy like Edelman whom he trusts immensely, the ball is more likely to go there, especially in a year like this one.

I do agree with you that we may need to get a bit more creative though in an attempt to try and catch a team off guard on an important play or two this post-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe