Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ochocinco only in on 18 plays

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by fumbrunner, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fumbrunner

fumbrunner In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

What is the prevailing thought on Chad Ochocinco going forward? He played in only 18 plays and with the pats playing so much 2TE, how much are we going to see of him gong forward?

At least he enjoyed watching, according to his twitter:
    Hope he comes around, but looks like he is still learning the ropes.

2. brady199

brady199 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

Looks like we'll be OK without him, esp if Taylor Price can come back and contribute. He's not a dumb person, (he does plenty of dumb things thou) so I'm not sure why it's taking so long. Randy came in and didn't play at all in the preseason and caught on right away. Maybe Ocho's role is more complex and Randy just mostly went deep. Also Hernadez and Gronk both came in as rookies and picked it up right away, I don't know that their positions are any more or less difficult then what is being asked of Chad.

3. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,515 / 20 / -4

#12 Jersey

Brady said that Moss was the smartest WR he'd ever played with, plus Moss didn't run very many routes.

4. livinginthe past

livinginthe past Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -2

#12 Jersey

I really think people need to stop obsessing on Chad Ocho.

The offense was a runaway train last night - there are only so many balls to catch - and clearly Brady was finding excellent match-ups the whole game.

If we get to the midseason and we have games where the offense is getting shutdown and Ocho is providing zero outlet for Brady then i'll reconsider his worth to the team.

At this time he is the #3 WR on a team that heavily features 2 TE's, effectively making him a #5 WR.

As a side note he was also the victim of one of the most obvious PI's i've seen in a long time around the goalline area and got no flag.

5. Timbo717

Timbo717 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I think he'll play more than he did last night but obviously I don't think he'll be a 80+ catch guy for the year. I can't remember where I heard it but someone brought up a decent point that they were in a hurry up offense a decent amount of time last night to try and get the defense tired (it worked apparently), and in those cases you really need your experienced guys who know the system well and don't have to be told in the huddle what the plan is.

Not sure how much merit there is to that argument, but I guess it is something to think about and I can certainly understand that point of view. Either way, I think with the multiple TE sets like you mention, that we'll see some of Chad but not s much as he is used to. And I think he'll be ok with it to be honest.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  6. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +805 / 1 / -5

No Jersey Selected

Agree, but it's not going to happen. Because of who he is, media and fans will focus on playing time and productivity and start speculating on when he tears down the team if he isn't a big enough part of the offense. Which also isn't going to happen; BB will handle things as he always does, in house, if it comes to that.

I had the exact same thought about it not mattering a whole lot because of the other weapons on this team. Opening night brings about that type of realization; for all the frustration I had with seeing guys like Price and Vereen out, I come away thinking last night, well, I guess it doesn't really matter.

7. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

BJGE played only 22 snaps.

A lot of it was the no-huddle and having guys who could line up in many different positions on the field, guys who know pass route trees from many different snap alignments.

Ocho isn't there yet.

He will have more snaps in a more conventional game plan.

8. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -1

I think it was designed that Ocho Cinco would not have a big role in this game. It was probably loud, and it was definitely hot, and the game plan was obviously to go with the no huddle and move the ball quickly for as long as possible to take advantage of the conditions. A new guy just isn't going to be able to contribute fully to that. I could see Brady a couple of times doing quick hand signals to Branch WAY down at the end of the line and Branch just as quickly giving a little nod. Deion and Welker know Brady and know what he means in such a situation. They threw the ball to Ocho a couple of times (either to get him a few touches or to keep the D honest) and that was the plan.

Before everyone writes off this relationship, let's see what happens in a home game where the O is going at a more normal pace and Ocho has a few more games to adapt to the offense.

9. in 12 we trust

in 12 we trust Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

maybe he should change his name to Ochojuegos 8 plays !

if he doesn't learn the offense, thats all he see a game !

10. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,495 / 20 / -8

#95 Jersey

Still learning..no worries at all

11. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +614 / 9 / -1

#61 Jersey

Jeebus. Some people get upset over the weirdest things.

The Patriots play situational football. They put in players and packages and plays based upon their opponent's historical tendencies, and what's happening on the field. So 85 didn't play much? Big deal. The team was focused on the two TE plays, because that was working.

Chad will get his chance against other opponents, on other days. He'll get used and in a way that benefits the team. It's never about one player, or someone's stats, or who gets the most snaps. It's about the team and playing the best player for THAT game and for THAT play, etc.

And yeah, 85 got mugged in plain sight and not a yellow flag was thrown. I was angry at that too. It seemed like the refs were trying to slow down the Patriots because Miami was struggling. I thought that that sort of thing only happened when New England played the Jets and Colts. :cool:

12. The Scrizz

The Scrizz 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +118 / 4 / -2

#11 Jersey

All we've heard all pre-season is about learning the route tree.

Randy Moss: "I don't need no f'in route tree."

13. The Scrizz

The Scrizz 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +118 / 4 / -2

#11 Jersey

First Monday night game after the lockout, gotta keep the locals interested.

14. Patsrock

Patsrock Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0

All them had OTA's had the playbook from April on. Ocho got them just over a month ago

15. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +645 / 51 / -21

We've talked about this for months. In a game plan where we run a lot 2 TE sets (and some 3 TE sets), The 3rd WR position doesn't have a central role. We want to have our TE's involved! I would note that out 2010 #3 WR averaged 1.5 catches per game. Tate had 24 catches, Edelman (our #4) had 7 and we had a GREAT passing year.

It's fine to hope that Price or Ocho, or Price and Ocho together will get 60 or 70 catches. That's not happening. It is very unlikely that they will total anywhere near that many barring injuries.

I'm fine with our top 5 receivers being Welker, Branch, Hernandez, Gronkowski and Woodhead, as was the case in 2010. And yes, we our #6 and #7 receivers will be our #3 WR and our starting RB. So we need Ocho to play his part, as Edelman did, as Slater did.

16. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +614 / 9 / -1

#61 Jersey

Like we say in the entertainment industry, "There are no small parts, only small actors". Everyone's role is important, even if it's only to stand and wait. Teams STILL have to prepare to face 85, even if he isn't used and that takes away time that they might be using to plan on something else. Anything that gives you an edge, you take, even if it's to have a talented receiver like Chad in for only a few plays a game as a decoy. It keeps the other team honest.

17. Wax Frog

Wax Frog In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Home field favoritism, conscious or not, is pandemic... :cool:

18. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Apparently Randy didn't need no F'n lease in New England last year, either with the punk ***** attitude he was showing after week 1.

19. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,588 / 19 / -6

#87 Jersey

I'm not concerned about Ocho in the slightest. When his number is called he'll step up. People were crying to high heaven for Brady to go back to throwing to the open receiver rather than trying to force the ball downfield into coverage. Yesterday and with some precision Brady threw to the open receiver.

The mere threat of Ocho's reputation was good enough for me yesterday. Running the fast paced Oregon type offense killed the Dolphins Defense... murdered it in fact. It was a great game plan executed with precision.

20. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

People are right that there is no reason to worry about him atm. The offense still looks good.

I don't think the he's still learning excuse is valid. Just go out and execute what he does know and the rest will come with time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.