PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O/T: Calvin Anderson has a special talent

No doubt that the dude is clean regarding his intelligence, up-bringing & athleticism; but...

He barely passes the Bare Minimum physical profile for a Left Tackle, and that's always been and will always continue to be a big problem for him out there.

I always think it's cool to get a bit of the personality of the guys beyond their ability to play. It helps me distinguish and root for them a little more.
So do I. The cube deal is impressive.

Guess I should have added the /s.

So do I. The cube deal is impressive.

Guess I should have added the /s.
No, you were fine. I was more just commenting and happened to hit reply on your post.

No doubt that the dude is clean regarding his intelligence, up-bringing & athleticism; but...

He barely passes the Bare Minimum physical profile for a Left Tackle, and that's always been and will always continue to be a big problem for him out there.
Per U Texas he‘s 6’5” and 300 lbs but RAS website has him at 6’4.3” and 292, with 33.125” arms and 9.375” hands so as the Captain indicates the size is not ideal for a LT. However, RAS is 8.69 which is elite.

Also, I couldn’t find a snap count total but in 3 seasons he appeared in 41 games, started 12, and had one (1) penalty, a false start. He’s clearly a smart guy and the penalty number indicates he may play smart too.

i‘m optimistic :excited:

What's the bare minimum physical profile for a left tackle?

I don't buy PFF player grades at all, but Calvin Anderson took over as the Broncos' full time left tackle halfway through last season, finished with the 52nd highest Pro Football Focus grade among all tackles, has drawn just one penalty in almost 750 career snaps and only allowed two sacks. He hasn't had a "big problem out there," so how can it continue to be one?

The kid is hyper intelligent, really strong, a superior athlete and his 33 1/8" arms and 81 1/2" wingspan are good.

Per U Texas he‘s 6’5” and 300 lbs but RAS website has him at 6’4.3” and 292, with 33.125” arms and 9.375” hands so as the Captain indicates the size is not ideal for a LT. However, RAS is 8.69 which is elite.

Also, I couldn’t find a snap count total but in 3 seasons he appeared in 41 games, started 12, and had one (1) penalty, a false start. He’s clearly a smart guy and the penalty number indicates he may play smart too.

i‘m optimistic :excited:
as long as he doesnt turn into Ras i dowling..

The kid is hyper intelligent, really strong, a superior athlete and his 33 1/8" arms and 81 1/2" wingspan are good.

I am not sure that intelligence is all that important on the line. Didn't Parcells say that playing the position was "not exactly rocket science"?

That’s Ras IR Dowling actually
People seem to forget Dowling fell into the 2nd round because he had a bad knee.

People love injury risks with upside when Gronk works out, they hate them when they don't.

I am not sure that intelligence is all that important on the line. Didn't Parcells say that playing the position was "not exactly rocket science"?
Couldn't disagree more, having played O line in high school I Can tell you it's actually very complicated. Unlike a WR who can get away with I run this route and don't care what anyone else is doing as an Oline man you have to know what the two guys next to you are doing, you have to know what the RB is doing, you have to know the kind of QB you have and where they need to be protected. On top of which you need to be able to process and know your assignment which might switch in a millisecond if that LB you thought was dropping into coverage blitzes. And you need to be able to do it all with near perfect synchronization that rivals ballet. I would in fact argue the biggest difference between an Olineman and a Dlineman is how smart they are. If all you can handle is attack this gap and go you're playing defense.

Couldn't disagree more, having played O line in high school I Can tell you it's actually very complicated. Unlike a WR who can get away with I run this route and don't care what anyone else is doing as an Oline man you have to know what the two guys next to you are doing, you have to know what the RB is doing, you have to know the kind of QB you have and where they need to be protected. On top of which you need to be able to process and know your assignment which might switch in a millisecond if that LB you thought was dropping into coverage blitzes. And you need to be able to do it all with near perfect synchronization that rivals ballet. I would in fact argue the biggest difference between an Olineman and a Dlineman is how smart they are. If all you can handle is attack this gap and go you're playing defense.
O,I am convinced. I think that Parcells was just being a wiseacre (he was responding to a dumb question y a reporter) or maybe he was talking about the DL.

So what are you saying? If Trent Brown is unable to play for a significant period of time, we’ll be held together by cat guts and bailing wire?

When he first signed, he said good things which indicated he wants to work and learn.

Is playing in the NFL rocket science?

No however this generation of NFL player has a lot to learn and they need to be able to react quickly and correctly.

Some info from a rival:

Scouting Jets UDFA Calvin Anderson

Last edited:
He does look lean (small?) for 6'-5" 300 lbs

The Broncos had a tradition of developing small lineman

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back