PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NY bans FanDuel & DraftKings

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how do these games work? I keep switching channels when I see that stuff. I thought it was just more fantasy football.

Apologies to all our fantacy fans but I've had it with all of the ones that stand up and cheer at awkward Patriots game moments because one of their non Patriot fantacy players just got points. Annoys the hell out of me at Gillette.
Best post in a long time. Couldn't agree with you more.

If NY voted on every insider trading scandal they wouldn't be known for the NY minute.

This is rich.

The same state in which is the epicenter of organized crime in this country for the last 100 years bans fantasy football.

#rottenindenmark

I suspect this never happened.
I suspect you're a fantacy fan that checks your picks all game long....anyway you'd see it often enough if you were a regular at Gillette. You see it tailgating and you see it in the stands. Pretty sure anyone that's a season ticket holder knows what I'm talking about

That's not what happened. They didn't decide to prosecute insider trading. They expanded a law to include them that excluded them. Usually new laws are done through the legislature.
They did an investigation and determined that it was gambling (which it is so they are right) and therefore it falls under state gambling laws.

Nevada did the same thing and came to the same conclusion. The only difference is NY said "ok since it's gambling, it's illegal" whereas Nevada said "ok since it's gambling, you have to go through the proper channels for licensing."

I love fantasy football, but I love the REAL fantasy football. The kind that you study for. The kind that has you spending the offseason and training camp watching for potential sleepers and breakouts waiting to happen. The kind that has you marking draft day on your calendar and absolutely giddy when it finally comes. The kind that makes you look at your roster immediately after the draft and say "I'm f***ed". The kind that requires you to keep up with the goings-on of the league all season long, watch for adds/drops by your opponents, make trade offers, manage bye weeks. The kind that makes you agonize for hours over which crappy player you're gonna put in your "flex" spot this weekend all the way up until 12:59 pm. The kind that makes making the playoffs feel like reaching Valhalla, and taking home the trophy feel like being TFB himself (if only for a fading moment).

THAT kind of fantasy football is outstanding fun, and requires way too much time and effort to be considered gambling, in my book. This one-week pick-whoever-you-want garbage, though? That's been gambling since day one. Never touched it.

I love fantasy football, but I love the REAL fantasy football. The kind that you study for. The kind that has you spending the offseason and training camp watching for potential sleepers and breakouts waiting to happen. The kind that has you marking draft day on your calendar and absolutely giddy when it finally comes. The kind that makes you look at your roster immediately after the draft and say "I'm f***ed". The kind that requires you to keep up with the goings-on of the league all season long, watch for adds/drops by your opponents, make trade offers, manage bye weeks. The kind that makes you agonize for hours over which crappy player you're gonna put in your "flex" spot this weekend all the way up until 12:59 pm. The kind that makes making the playoffs feel like reaching Valhalla, and taking home the trophy feel like being TFB himself (if only for a fading moment).

THAT kind of fantasy football is outstanding fun, and requires way too much time and effort to be considered gambling, in my book. This one-week pick-whoever-you-want garbage, though? That's been gambling since day one. Never touched it.

I have no problem with the fantasy football leagues you describe, where friends compete. You're exactly right. It's for lovers of all aspects of the game, and the money is almost an afterthought. You're building a team to win. You're trying to be BB. Have fun, good luck and God bless.

I have no problem with this. None at all.

They did an investigation and determined that it was gambling (which it is so they are right) and therefore it falls under state gambling laws.

Nevada did the same thing and came to the same conclusion. The only difference is NY said "ok since it's gambling, it's illegal" whereas Nevada said "ok since it's gambling, you have to go through the proper channels for licensing."
Gambling isn't illegal, they even run a state lotto in NY. The AG decided it didn't meet the federal exemption including fantasy sports, which it clearly does. The hypocrisy isn't even the real issue. The law voters passed excluded it, this is law by fiat.

Gambling isn't illegal,
Gambling on sports is illegal in New York (thought it was obvious that that was what we were talking about :rolleyes:).
The AG decided it didn't meet the federal exemption including fantasy sports, which it clearly does.
No, that's not what he decided. He did not say that DFS's violate federal law. He said DFS's violate state law, which they do. His letter today clearly refers only to NY State Law and the NY State Constitution.
The hypocrisy isn't even the real issue. The law voters passed excluded it, this is law by fiat.
Ignoring the fact that "the voters" didn't pass anything (it was Congress that did), as a general rule, just because the federal government says an activity is legal does not necessarily mean that individual states cannot call that same activity illegal under their own state laws.

DFS's are legal under federal law, but can still be ruled illegal in any state that wants to. NY is something like the 7th state to make this ruling.

So, they didn't bother with the whole voting and democracy thing?

Not sure where you got the idea that the United States is a direct democracy. Laws are approved by legislatures and interpreted by courts. The courts, through the person of the state Attorney General, found that the sites violated New York State statutes on gambling on sports.

Can they ban it in ct so I don't have to see these freaking ads?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

The AG decided it didn't meet the federal exemption including fantasy sports, which it clearly does. The hypocrisy isn't even the real issue. The law voters passed excluded it, this is law by fiat.

That's a common misconception, but a misconception nonetheless. The "federal exemption" does not declare that fantasy sports aren't gambling and it does not prevent states from considering fantasy sports to be illegal gambling.

The law in question is the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 (UIGEA). That law "prohibits gambling businesses from knowingly accepting payments in connection with the participation of another person in a bet or wager that involves the use of the Internet and that is unlawful under any federal or state law." Fantasy sports are indeed exempted from that prohibition, but the law does not say fantasy sports are not gambling. It only says that whether or not they are, they aren't subject to the prohibition.

Anyhow, follow @WallachLegal on twitter. Between his own stuff and the links he posts you'll end up knowing more about this than you'd ever want to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents