PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nobody has noticed - BJGE is now the Pats #1 RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he's listed at 215, but that's not what he's playing at. In an '09 pre-season interview he claimed to be a little over 230. I know he doesn't have that beak-away speed, but if you don't think he is a bruising power back, you had better re-watch some games. He's very decisive and takes what the defense gives him.

Yeah, Maroney was listed as 5'11 220 so I doubt they are the same size.

BJGE looks like he is 5'9 and a half and about 225-230 pounds.

I agree that the only thing he doesn't have is breakaway speed. So far as fans, we don't even know how he runs in daylight, he hasn't had a 40 or 50 yard run, which is fine since his constant 4-5 yard carries are great. :)

Maroney was an enigma. He was fine his rookie season, but he regressed for a couple of seasons. I think injury played a part. I was one of his biggest critics when he played poorly. His vision (ability to run to open space) at times was terrible. I thought he played pretty well last year. I thought he ran with speed and power once he broke the line of scrimmage. He punished defensive backs when he made it to the second level. I tried to find a link of a clip when he blew up Kerry Rhodes last year, but I couldn't find one.

Here is a pretty good highlight film of a playoff game against SD. Probably one of Maroney's best game as a Patriot.

NFL Videos: AFC Championship: Laurence Maroney highlights
He is so un-explosive in those runs it's not even funny. Adrian Peterson would have ripped through those holes like nobody's business.

Lawfirm's not the same type of back as Antowain Smith, but as far as results go, they're close enough, and I'm fine with his ascension as we transition back to the offense from the good ol' days. So long as he consistently churns out 3 to 4 yards and doesn't get caught in the backfield too often, that's fine with me.

That was the real problem with Maroney. His average YPC was solid, he made a lot of big plays, but he was caught in the backfield too many times. Tackles for losses can be drive killers. We had an explosive passing game, and so a more consistent run game would have been a better complement than a high-variance type of back.

There's no way BJGE makes the roster this year... oh, he did?

There's no way BJGE will be on the game day active 45... What? Oh...

There's no way BJGE will see any real playing time... he's is?

The no way BJGE will get over 4 YPC... he's averaging how many?

The only reason BJGE is getting by as our #1 RB is because our line suddenly learned to open holes. Yeah, that's it.

:rolleyes: :singing:

I'm not saying he's Corey Dillion V2, but he's what the team needs, at least up to this point in time, a consistent 4-5 yards per play back. I hope he can keep this up this level of play. I don't think he (or many RB's in the league) will be knocking the Ravens D on their *sses, but against average to good D's, he seems to do okay. He's reliable and so far dependable. And healthy.

To the OP, lots of people have noticed, but so many people as of 45 days ago had him being cut and easily replaced if needed, they're likely laying low until he has a bad game to say "I told you so." If he continues to do well, many will remain quiet instead of admit they were wrong.

I'm hoping and expecting the Pats draft a RB in the 3rd round or so next year, and hopefully he's as good or better than BJGE, but I also expect BJGE to stay on as the other back in the tandem.

Last edited:
Ummm....dude....if you didn't know this....you must be a pink hat wearing bandwagon fan......OBVIOUSLY BJGE IS THE #1 RB right now!!!!!! Taylor is hurt and is obviously slowed down badly....Not sure why he is still here.......Morris....Looks like he is running with feet in concrete.........Now who else is there to begin with......and realistically....who else is running as well, and as intelligently as BJGE????????????? F'in No one.........DUMB POST........I am happy for BJGE.....He has finally gotten enough reps to prove himself......He runs hard and smart...........good for him....but besides woodhead.....who else will be that effective......therein lies the problem......GO BJGE.....GO PATS!!!!
I agree this was a unnecessary post. The OP just stated the obvious.
Obviously this post flew way over your head. The point I'm making is that nobody talks about this guy in spite of the fact that he has quietly become the Pats #1 RB. I'm sure that Law Firm appreciates your Rah-Rahs in support of him though. ;)
BJGE is the starting RB by default. He didn't beat out Fred Taylor and he probably wouldn't be getting as many carries if Faulk were healthy.

Anyway, watching Maroney play in Denver makes me cringe (especially his first game against Indy). It was really sad to see him get stuffed 3-4 straight times at the one yard line against Indy. Aside from his dancing issue, the second biggest problem of Maroney's is that more often than not, he goes down on first contact. Doesn't matter where it is, it looks as though it's extremely easy for defenders to tackle him. Since playing for Denver, his play has been nothing short of atrocious.

I was a long time Maroney defender, but I'm glad he's gone.

Last edited:
yea i think people have noticed, especially when they debate which of the 32 NFL teams have the worst running back group

I agree this was a unnecessary post. The OP just stated the obvious.

BJGE is the starting RB by default. He didn't beat out Fred Taylor and he probably wouldn't be getting as many carries if Faulk were healthy.

Anyway, watching Maroney play in Denver makes me cringe (especially his first game against Indy). It was really sad to see him get stuffed 3-4 straight times at the one yard line against Indy. Aside from his dancing issue, the second biggest problem of Maroney's is that more often than not, he goes down on first contact. Doesn't matter where it is, it looks as though it's extremely easy for defenders to tackle him. Since playing for Denver, his play has been nothing short of atrocious.

I was a long time Maroney defender, but I'm glad he's gone.
Yeah I agree and we should consider ourselves lucky to have gotten a fourth rounder for him which essentially turned into Branch who can come in and contribute immediately.

While browsing this morning I stumbled across this...
I remember people saying we needed to involve Maroney in the passing game more... :bricks:

Last edited:
yea i think people have noticed, especially when they debate which of the 32 NFL teams have the worst running back group

Unfortunately, yeah. There are at least 40 RB's around the NFL I'd rather have in BJGE's place as the lead runner. But I like BJGE a lot as a complimentary guy. He was basically the #5 RB on the depth chart behind Taylor, Faulk, Maroney, and Morris heading into Week 1. You can argue that he beat out Maroney for a spot and I won't fight you tooth and nail over that, but he didn't beat out Taylor and Faulk, he's in there by default because of their injuries.

Count me in the cautiously optimistic group. I think he can be helpful, but I'm not sold on him as a lead back, and I don't think we should get carried away here.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, yeah. There are at least 40 RB's around the NFL I'd rather have in BJGE's place as the lead runner. But I like BJGE a lot as a complimentary guy. He was basically the #5 RB on the depth chart behind Taylor, Faulk, Maroney, and Morris heading into Week 1. You can argue that he beat out Maroney for a spot and I won't fight you tooth and nail over that, but he didn't beat out Taylor and Faulk, he's in there by default because of their injuries.

Count me in the cautiously optimistic group. I think he can be helpful, but I'm not sold on him as a lead back, and I don't think we should get carried away here.

That's not really true. Woodhead is in due to the Faulk injury. BJGE is not a replacement for Faulk, he's a replacement for Taylor, as BJGE is not a 3rd down back.

Nice. So we're getting 122 YPG (13th) at 4.3 YPC with allegedly some of the worst backs in the league. I'll take it.

Last edited:
Ummm....dude....if you didn't know this....you must be a pink hat wearing bandwagon fan......OBVIOUSLY BJGE IS THE #1 RB right now!!!!!! Taylor is hurt and is obviously slowed down badly....Not sure why he is still here.......Morris....Looks like he is running with feet in concrete.........Now who else is there to begin with......and realistically....who else is running as well, and as intelligently as BJGE????????????? F'in No one.........DUMB POST........I am happy for BJGE.....He has finally gotten enough reps to prove himself......He runs hard and smart...........good for him....but besides woodhead.....who else will be that effective......therein lies the problem......GO BJGE.....GO PATS!!!!

I would think of someone who is a JAG as someone who is marginally if not "average" in effectiveness. Since NOW BJGE has PROVEN that with enough REPS and with adequate BLOCKING........he can be a VERY good RB...........I would think it would be extremely insulting to call him JAG from now on.......For one thing....he hits the hole extremely fast....no dancing......let's GO!!!!........Next.....He is smart......IS AWARE as to where the first down marker is and how to fight to get there.....and FIGHTS TO STAY IN BOUNDS to let the clock run out. The guy is a GOOD RB. The other night watching SC against Alabama.....they were talking about the last RB to run that effectively and efficiently against the Tide.....and who was it........Benjarvis Green Ellis......Enjoy the story and the ride folks....MOST of you wanted him gone and are now trying to lick your wounds and CONVINCE yourselves that the guy can get it done......well he can.....MAY be a tough week against Balt....and AGAIN WILL COME DOWN TO HOW WELL THE OL BLOCKS.....but trust in BJGE.......Guy is the real thing.....which I and a few others have been saying for awhile.....GO PATS...and GO BJGE!!!!!!

The Elusive Ellipsis

And yes Lawfirm is doing well so far, should be a good test to see if he can continue to do so against the Raven's D.

That's not really true. Woodhead is in due to the Faulk injury. BJGE is not a replacement for Faulk, he's a replacement for Taylor, as BJGE is not a 3rd down back.

Yeah, I guess. Your point is BJGE would still leapfrog a healthy Faulk for grind-em-out carries, whereas Faulk would remain in his usual passing down role. I can concede that, even though I believe Faulk would see more snaps on offense than BJGE in such a scenario, whereas Woodhead won't since he's not as experienced/proven as Faulk.

It's working now, but I still hope Taylor can get back soon.

It's working now, but I still hope Taylor can get back soon.

What is BJGE not doing that is satisfactory to you? His YPG, and total yards are good numbers. He hasn't fumbled the ball and has delivered every time he has been in the red zone.

What is BJGE not doing that is satisfactory to you? His YPG, and total yards are good numbers. He hasn't fumbled the ball and has delivered every time he has been in the red zone.
He's not a fancy big-name RB, so therefore he sucks.

Pats don't need fancy...they just need a steady 4ypc back...they have that in Benny.

I guess I'm not easily impressed. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with what he's done so far, but I need to see more than two games against the Bills and Dolphins before I'm convinced that he's better than a healthy Fred Taylor (which, sadly, we don't have at the moment). I want to see what he does in these next three games (Ravens, Chargers, Vikings). If he's more than just a decent backup RB, he'll have his chance to show it in that stretch of games.

I'm more than glad to eat a plate of crow if he continues to run the way he has. It would be great for this team.

But I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I'm okay with him potentially carrying the load for the rest of the season. Maybe other people feel he's proven himself after only two games as the lead. I'm not as easily convinced. I hope that's okay with you all.

He's not a fancy big-name RB, so therefore he sucks.

Don't be silly, that's not my argument. The 16 carries he's had each the past two games are the most he's had since Week 5 of the 2008 season. Meanwhile, everybody is throwing YPC out there... Fred Taylor has 4.6 YPC in his career. He's just a little more of a proven commodity than BJGE. Just a little. BJGE has youth and durability on his side, but talent-wise nobody is going to convince me Taylor isn't better, even now. We just can't see that now because of Taylor's turf toe. It's highly frustrating.

I'm also saying this knowing that Taylor is likely to retire after this season, and knowing that every Pats fan wants us to draft Mark Ingram next year for a good reason. None of the RB's we have now are going to change that. I see BJGE as serviceable. I see Taylor as being more than just serviceable. Perhaps I'm wrong, and if I am, I don't care. That's not as important as seeing this team win.

Last edited:
This game is a big test as we are not been able to run behind the left side our OL. All the plays are delayed draws or trick plays.

we are just not able to run on the left.

I have found this to be incorrect!

Do you guys think BJGE is better than Taylor?

NFL Events: Draft Player Profiles - BenJarvus Green-Ellis

"Negatives: Can be an impatient runner who rushes into the hole instead of allowing his blocks time to develop. ... Struggles as a receiver. ... Rarely asked to catch passes in this offense and dropped to many that were thrown his way. ... Has some wear on his tires with 920 rushing attempts over his career."

I was searching and found that and it is interesting. It seems he has fixed one of his two big cons that he had as a rookie. During the Miami and Buffalo games, he waited for the blockers to develop, while as a rookie he would run straight on like a robot for 2-3 yards. I don't know if he still sucks at catching, since we never throw it to him.

Still don't get why noone drafted him, even if it would be the 5th, 6th, or 7th round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye