PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nobody has noticed - BJGE is now the Pats #1 RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the breakdowns I've noticed a big change in the OL's blocking attitude. It's pretty clear they love blocking for BJGE because they know he's hard-nosed and won't quit on a play.

Honestly? I think they've gone away from the zone blocking on running plays as well..

As a long time Moroney backer, I am pleasantly surprised at BJGE's effectiveness. I still think he's just an effective JAG, but one who does what is necessary to keep the offense in balance. Like ASmith of yore, he does what this offense needs. He blocks well. He doesn't have many negative yardage plays, and he usually gets his 3-4 yds. And seems to pick up the 3rd and shorts necessary to keep the sticks moving And we thrived for 4 great years with ASmith doing all that and IIRC barely averaging 3.9ypc

That being said, he will have to prove he can carry the load of having 20-25 carries per game. game in and game out

Good kid, works hard, runs hard. Doesn't put on a 'river dance' behind the line, just hits the hole hard the second it opens up and runs with some power and determination. Perhaps most importantly - he's HEALTHY. Which is very valuable considering the fragile health of the other Pats RBs. Ben is also averaging a very respectable 4.6 ypc. BJGE's role is only going to grow in this offense. And I congratulate him for coming this far as a UDFA.

Ummm....dude....if you didn't know this....you must be a pink hat wearing bandwagon fan......OBVIOUSLY BJGE IS THE #1 RB right now!!!!!! Taylor is hurt and is obviously slowed down badly....Not sure why he is still here.......Morris....Looks like he is running with feet in concrete.........Now who else is there to begin with......and realistically....who else is running as well, and as intelligently as BJGE????????????? F'in No one.........DUMB POST........I am happy for BJGE.....He has finally gotten enough reps to prove himself......He runs hard and smart...........good for him....but besides woodhead.....who else will be that effective......therein lies the problem......GO BJGE.....GO PATS!!!!

Amazingly, BJGE has been for two weeks the top ranked RB by FO's DVOA measure:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | RUNNING BACKS 2010

The reason is clear, he's also #1 in their Success Rate measure; he's getting the job done.

It's amusing to also note that if all RB's are included, i.e. those with too few carries to qualify, Danny Woodhead is by far the leading DVOA RB in the league ;)

As a long time Moroney backer, I am pleasantly surprised at BJGE's effectiveness. I still think he's just an effective JAG, but one who does what is necessary to keep the offense in balance. Like ASmith of yore, he does what this offense needs. He blocks well. He doesn't have many negative yardage plays, and he usually gets his 3-4 yds. And seems to pick up the 3rd and shorts necessary to keep the sticks moving And we thrived for 4 great years with ASmith doing all that and IIRC barely averaging 3.9ypc

That being said, he will have to prove he can carry the load of having 20-25 carries per game. game in and game out

I would think of someone who is a JAG as someone who is marginally if not "average" in effectiveness. Since NOW BJGE has PROVEN that with enough REPS and with adequate BLOCKING........he can be a VERY good RB...........I would think it would be extremely insulting to call him JAG from now on.......For one thing....he hits the hole extremely fast....no dancing......let's GO!!!!........Next.....He is smart......IS AWARE as to where the first down marker is and how to fight to get there.....and FIGHTS TO STAY IN BOUNDS to let the clock run out. The guy is a GOOD RB. The other night watching SC against Alabama.....they were talking about the last RB to run that effectively and efficiently against the Tide.....and who was it........Benjarvis Green Ellis......Enjoy the story and the ride folks....MOST of you wanted him gone and are now trying to lick your wounds and CONVINCE yourselves that the guy can get it done......well he can.....MAY be a tough week against Balt....and AGAIN WILL COME DOWN TO HOW WELL THE OL BLOCKS.....but trust in BJGE.......Guy is the real thing.....which I and a few others have been saying for awhile.....GO PATS...and GO BJGE!!!!!!

Honestly? I think they've gone away from the zone blocking on running plays as well..

I did not notice this. I will have to watch for this in the Ravens game.

Amazingly, BJGE has been for two weeks the top ranked RB by FO's DVOA measure:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | RUNNING BACKS 2010

The reason is clear, he's also #1 in their Success Rate measure; he's getting the job done.

It's amusing to also note that if all RB's are included, i.e. those with too few carries to qualify, Danny Woodhead is by far the leading DVOA RB in the league ;)

Not only, is he #1, he's #1 by a wide margin. His success rate is 74%, #2 has a success rate of 58%. He's probably a large part of the reason why the Pats are leading the league in offensive 3rd down conversions.

This game is a big test as we are not been able to run behind the left side our OL. All the plays are delayed draws or trick plays.

we are just not able to run on the left. i expect ravens to put nata on the right side on neal and vollmer and force him to run left.....Our LG is okay but man he cannot get any push....

Maroney sucks, he's a dancer, he's afraid to hit the hole, he's a bust and doesn't work hard....sorry, hadn't done that for a few weeks and needed a quick fix...I miss you Lawrence!!!

Ummm....dude....if you didn't know this....you must be a pink hat wearing bandwagon fan......OBVIOUSLY BJGE IS THE #1 RB right now!!!!!! Taylor is hurt and is obviously slowed down badly....Not sure why he is still here.......Morris....Looks like he is running with feet in concrete.........Now who else is there to begin with......and realistically....who else is running as well, and as intelligently as BJGE????????????? F'in No one.........DUMB POST........I am happy for BJGE.....He has finally gotten enough reps to prove himself......He runs hard and smart...........good for him....but besides woodhead.....who else will be that effective......therein lies the problem......GO BJGE.....GO PATS!!!!

Obviously this post flew way over your head. The point I'm making is that nobody talks about this guy in spite of the fact that he has quietly become the Pats #1 RB. I'm sure that Law Firm appreciates your Rah-Rahs in support of him though. ;)

The Ravens do have one of the top run Ds in the league. So I am really interested in what kind of offensive gameplan the Pats have in store to attack it. Will they go with spread the field - pass/pass/pass or will they try a balanced approach. If the latter, BJGE stepping up his play is going to be quite important to keep the offense balanced. I'm actually looking forward to this game now.

If the latter, BJGE stepping up his play is going to be quite important to keep the offense balanced.

A running game is always important IMO. My thoughts and prayers are with him, what else can I say?:D

Actually, it's not a lot of carries, but his last two games have been outstanding, so I hope he keeps it up. There's no doubt lineman like a player that doesn't hesitate and goes where the hole is supposed to be.

Last edited:
BJGE is a 5ft11 UDFA! So good going from both of them :)

I think he was referring to Danny Woodhead as the #2.

Green-Ellis is serviceable but when his toe isn't falling off his damned foot, Fragile Fred is this team's best RB.

I think he was referring to Danny Woodhead as the #2.

Green-Ellis is serviceable but when his toe isn't falling off his damned foot, Fragile Fred is this team's best RB.

I thought he misunderstood, but upon rereading, it seems he was noting that BJ was also a UDFA. Agree that Taylor is the only premium RB, but i doubt he gets the bulk of the carries so he'll stay healthy. I'd like more, but I've seen teams use less than all pros in a rotation effectively, so here's hoping.

So how many of you knew BJGE has a better YPC average than Ray Rice?

Maroney sucks, he's a dancer, he's afraid to hit the hole, he's a bust and doesn't work hard....sorry, hadn't done that for a few weeks and needed a quick fix...I miss you Lawrence!!!

Maroney is made of glass :cool:

I know he's listed at 215, but that's not what he's playing at. In an '09 pre-season interview he claimed to be a little over 230. I know he doesn't have that beak-away speed, but if you don't think he is a bruising power back, you had better re-watch some games. He's very decisive and takes what the defense gives him.

Lawfirm is one of those players who doesn't have a flashy, look at me style. He's a much better player than some people in this thread are giving him credit for IMO. The only thing he lacks is top-end speed. It will just take these people a few more solid performances to stop ragging on the guy.

I was one of those people who thought Maroney was more talented than BJGE, but I think that assessment might actually be wrong. I can't think of anything that Maroney does better than BenJarvus, except for his top speed.

Lawfirm is one of those players who doesn't have a flashy, look at me style. He's a much better player than some people in this thread are giving him credit for IMO. The only thing he lacks is top-end speed. It will just take these people a few more solid performances to stop ragging on the guy.

I was one of those people who thought Maroney was more talented than BJGE, but I think that assessment might actually be wrong. I can't think of anything that Maroney does better than BenJarvus, except for his top speed.

I don't see much "ragging" on the guy. I see people being cautiously optimistic.

I think that his style is alot like corey dillon. I was one of those people that though marroney was our best rb but BB knows it best as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down