PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL suspends Payton, Loomis & Williams; strips Saints of two draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes! This is wayyyyy worse than spygate, I'm glad they got punished for what they did.

Remember that a player's (Vick's ) suspension cost him even more $$$ by far. Can't go lightly on management when players get hammered by the Commish.

Last edited:
I don't believe there are any appeals. The coaches don't belong to any union. They could sue, but then they'd never work anywhere again.

The NFL constitution is strangely silent on this. It actually explicitly states that any penalty that requires the owners' approval is unappealable, but nothing Goodell did falls in that category. (Some pundits suggested that Goodell should consider rescinding Brees' franchise tag; that would require the owner's approval.)

That said, it says nothing about whether those sanctions are appealable.

Last edited:
For shame. I expect better from a team named the Saints.

I think Goodhell went easy on the Saints if that was BB and Patriots it would have atleast been 5 consecutive First Round Picks.:mad:

Last edited:
First, This penalty seems amizingly excessive to me on the surface. But Goodell set the precedent with spygate and considering all the player safety rule changes the past few years this was clearly much worse than spygate.

So as much as it pains me to say it at least Goodell is being consistantly harsh.

For all those complaining about the draft picks not being enough because we got a one stripped from us. I would argue that 2 second rounders is worse. It is common logic in the NFL that a 2 this year is worth a one next year so in this case would a 2 this year not equally equate to a one a next year plus they lose a two next year. Using this simple accepted NFL intrest rate the 2 second rounders in consecutive years is like losing a 1 and 3 this year.

Also dont forget that there still could be penalities coming down for the players too.

For shame. I expect better from a team named the Saints.

After what they did you call them Saints??? now they are probably Saint Bernards those dirty dogs.:p:D

For all those complaining about the draft picks not being enough because we got a one stripped from us. I would argue that 2 second rounders is worse. It is common logic in the NFL that a 2 this year is worth a one next year so in this case would a 2 this year not equally equate to a one a next year plus they lose a two next year. Using this simple accepted NFL intrest rate the 2 second rounders in consecutive years is like losing a 1 and 3 this year.

No. 2012 2 + 2013 2 ~= 2012 3 + 2013 1 or 2012 2 + 2012 3.

btw How do you suspend a GM for 8 games? Is he not allowed to make personnel decisiions from now until midseason?

Which probably means he's also not allowed to make decisions on players for the draft. And that could also be the same for Payton and Vitt. Now you are relying on people who aren't necessarily prepared to be the decision makers to make the decisions..

I don't believe there are any appeals. The coaches don't belong to any union. They could sue, but then they'd never work anywhere again.

Actually, the coaches do have a union. Only Bill Belichick is not a part of it. Which is why, in the Madden games, it only says New England Head Coach and not his name.

Both Patriots 2nd rounders just improved by 1 position......BB da man

Both Patriots 2nd rounders just improved by 1 position......BB da man

No.. Only the the pick that was formerly 63 improved. The pick that is 48 is still 48.

Actually, the coaches do have a union. Only Bill Belichick is not a part of it. Which is why, in the Madden games, it only says New England Head Coach and not his name.

Just curious--anyone know why only Belichick is not part of the union?

Incredible, and devastating to the Saints. I guess no other team's fans can quite appreciate this as well as us Pats fans, unfortunately.

Among the interesting aspects of this to me is the "yeah, but other teams did it too" situation. When "camera in the wrong position-gate" broke, there was a good amount of talk about that, but the lid got shut on that pretty quickly, so when the hammer came down on the Pats, any evidence implicating others was ignored/forgotten/never to be mentioned again (except by us bitter-clinging Pats fans). If my memory serves me properly, there was also some reason to believe that in addressing the Pats violation, the league destroyed evidence they may have had regarding other teams (*cough* Jets *cough*).

In this case, however, there has been a lot more publicized that this bounty practice was something Williams engaged in with the Redskins and Bills ... and yet, there is no word yet on any sanctions for any of those teams - and I'm going to guess right here that the lid will snap shut on any of that real quickly too.

Too bad, because since this story broke I've sort of hoped that this would come back to the person I think is the true culprit ... the current HC of the StLR. The last time I recall there being talk of a team putting bounties was when Buddy Ryan was coaching. There's a direct line between Buddy Ryan and Gregg Williams, and it runs through one individual, the person who brought Williams into the NFL in the first place. Having Fisher (back) on the Competition Committee just makes it smell even worse, from my point of view.

I don't think this penalty was harsh at all.

The unmentionable, unpardonable sin here is gambling. The Saints were abiding gambling.

The NFL may need gambling to attract interest but it cannot condone it and gambling can never appear to have any influence on the game or its outcome. Never. Ever. Even tangentially. That's why Goodell is absolutely right in hammering the Saints.

I don't think this penalty was harsh at all.

The unmentionable, unpardonable sin here is gambling. The Saints were abiding gambling.

The NFL may need gambling to attract interest but it cannot condone it and gambling can never appear to have any influence on the game or its outcome. Never. Ever. Even tangentially. That's why Goodell is absolutely right in hammering the Saints.

Didn't even think of that angle. Assault, conspiracy, gambling, tax evasion, lying to the investigative panel....

The punishment was fair for such terrible behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back