PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL suspends Payton, Loomis & Williams; strips Saints of two draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: NFL suspends Payton, Loomis & Williams; strips Saints of two draft picks

A year for Payton?

I presume thats him gone from the saints. They'll move onto the new coach?

Williams won't coach again will be my guess.

WOW. Expected everything except the head coach being suspended a year. Ouch for the Saints.

There needs to be draft picks.

Fines and suspensions hurt individual people, draft picks directly punish the organization.

I think losing your head coach for a full year hurts more than a draft pick. But they did lose 2 2nd rd picks (2012-2013)

Added confirmation of draft picks lost and Saints assistant Vitt being suspended too.

If it was Rex Ryan suspended for a year, I'd be ok with it ;)

but I really hate Roger Goodell!

I'm really not surprised by this, Payton got a little more than I expected but not much, and the picks were less but Williams got just what he deserved because he has done this at every stop, and the fine and Loomis suspension were about right. the league has a concussion suit pending and the claim is that they knew what was going on and looked the other way while players did permanent damage to themselves, if they had not come down the way they did then the plaintiffs could use that very effectively to prove the point that the league simply doesn't care about player safety. Good decision by Goodell.

Think of the pressure that's going to be on Drew Brees, especially considering his salary snit.

I think losing your head coach for a full year hurts more than a draft pick. But they did lose 2 2nd rd picks (2012-2013)
Depends on who your coach is, but in this case you may be right, it's going to kill the teams morale for the year.

Think of the pressure that's going to be on Drew Brees, especially considering his salary snit.
I think Brees is going to hold out, and the Saints GM is suspended for 8 games too.

Two 2nd round picks is perfect. Payton for a year is way too much. But on the other hand coaches will be sure this isn't going on with their teams.

They probably would have lost this years one, but the pats own that pick.

Yeah. I think that's probably the rationale. By taking the second rounder this year, they are left without a pick until the third round. That's pretty significant. Plus the second rounder next year.

I guess the rationale further is that not taking a pick this year would be too lenient, but taking a second this year and a first next year was too harsh, since they already don't have a first this year.

I can see the logic behind that way of thinking, even if my blood lust wants to see them lose a number one.

Last edited:

I think Brees is going to hold out, and the Saints GM is suspended for 8 games too.

What a f'n mess, wow..

And they wind up punishing the Rams as well by suspending Williams.

The only thing that made me say WOW was Payton for a year.

Since picks were being taken away, no way they should have gotten away without losing a first rounder.

Did the Rams hire Williams before or after the bounty stuff became public?

Should they be compensated for losing their HC? Have any Saints players been signed by teams before this was made public? If those players are suspended with their new teams who were unaware of what they walked into, should they be compensated in some way?

I too am guessing it would have been this years 1st round pick.

The Pats have that pick! :bricks:

Did the Rams hire Williams before or after the bounty stuff became public?

Should they be compensated for losing their HC? Have any Saints players been signed by teams before this was made public? If those players are suspended with their new teams who were unaware of what they walked into, should they be compensated in some way?
If we found out today that Fanane used HGH last year, the Pats would be hurt by it, but it is what it is.

Twitter

Saints lost two second-round picks, one in 12 one in 13.

No ones?

But wow, Peyton suspended a year..

Yeah, but they didn't have a one this year. So the choice was either not hit them at all this year and hit them with a one next year or to hit them with a second this year, meaning they don't pick until number 91 this year, and a second next year.

Having no picks until deep in the third round is going to hurt them a lot. The Pats will have picked four times before they pick once (in the unlikely event that the Pats don't trade any of those picks).

Last edited:

I think it's just the opposite, think of the pressure on the Saints to sign Brees. Right now he's not signing his tender and his leverage just increased dramatically, without him they will be this years Colts. I don't see Brees taking a contract he has already refused just to help the Saints out of their jam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes