PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL suspends Payton, Loomis & Williams; strips Saints of two draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad, because since this story broke I've sort of hoped that this would come back to the person I think is the true culprit ... the current HC of the StLR. The last time I recall there being talk of a team putting bounties was when Buddy Ryan was coaching. There's a direct line between Buddy Ryan and Gregg Williams, and it runs through one individual, the person who brought Williams into the NFL in the first place. Having Fisher (back) on the Competition Committee just makes it smell even worse, from my point of view.

My feeling too about Fisher. His joy when Harrison got hurt will never be forgotten.

Too bad for the Pats all this didn't come out a year earlier. I think the Saints are set up to slide back this year, which would have made the draft pick the Pats own traded for that much better.

Considering the Saints current position with draft picks, I'm guessing they may be looking to acquire some. If that is the case and they do end up dropping in the standings in 2012, that would be the type of trade that a lot of teams - including the Pats - may want to consider doing.

I don't think this penalty was harsh at all.

The unmentionable, unpardonable sin here is gambling. The Saints were abiding gambling.

The NFL may need gambling to attract interest but it cannot condone it and gambling can never appear to have any influence on the game or its outcome. Never. Ever. Even tangentially. That's why Goodell is absolutely right in hammering the Saints.

:confused:

In this case, however, there has been a lot more publicized that this bounty practice was something Williams engaged in with the Redskins and Bills ... and yet, there is no word yet on any sanctions for any of those teams - and I'm going to guess right here that the lid will snap shut on any of that real quickly too.

Not necessarily:

NFL.com news: NFL announces management discipline in Saints' 'bounty' matter

Former Saints (and current St. Louis Rams) defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is suspended indefinitely from the NFL, effective immediately. Commissioner Goodell will review Coach Williams' status at the conclusion of the 2012 season and consider whether to reinstate him, and, if so, on what terms. Commissioner Goodell said he will give close attention to the extent to which Coach Williams cooperates with the NFL in any further proceedings.

Sounds like there's more coming. . . .

i think they may start looking at players now maybe thats why the pats have not signed Carter yet ? the #1 hit they talk about is the hit that Carter and i dont rember who got on Manning when Williams was the DC with the skins

i think they may start looking at players now maybe thats why the pats have not signed Carter yet ? the #1 hit they talk about is the hit that Carter and i dont rember who got on Manning when Williams was the DC with the skins

Somehow, I think Carter's injury is a bigger issue.

The players put money in a pot and whoever knocked someone out of the game got the money - or some variant of a similar theme. The players bet on an uncertain outcome - that's gambling.

Originally Posted by AQPE
In this case, however, there has been a lot more publicized that this bounty practice was something Williams engaged in with the Redskins and Bills ... and yet, there is no word yet on any sanctions for any of those teams - and I'm going to guess right here that the lid will snap shut on any of that real quickly too.

What happened back then isnt the main attraction here, the Saints were told to stop it and they didnt, the clock started ticking when a memo was sent out and the Saints were told to stop this practice now! If they would have stopped it right then and there probably none of this happens.

The players put money in a pot and whoever knocked someone out of the game got the money - or some variant of a similar theme. The players bet on an uncertain outcome - that's gambling.

It wasn't gambling.

It wasn't gambling.

How is it not gambling? To me its the equivalent of saying I bet you one hundred dollars I can injure a player on the other team.

Still think if this was BB, he would have been suspended two years, lost first two rounds of draft picks for the next two years and been forced to trade Tommy to the jests.

What happened back then isnt the main attraction here, the Saints were told to stop it and they didnt, the clock started ticking when a memo was sent out and the Saints were told to stop this practice now! If they would have stopped it right then and there probably none of this happens.

Excellent point, I agree with you on this. In fact I agree that the penalty probably should weigh that factor, but hopefully only to a small degree. I'd hate to think that, if the Saints stopped the bounty practice when the league told them to, they would have gone unpenalized. I really do want the league to be serious about player safety.

Jason La Canfora ‏ @JasonLaCanfora
Gregg Williams is suspended indefinitely. Commish will review Williams situation at end of 2012 season and consider reinstatement

Jeff Darlington ‏ @JeffDarlington
NFL DROPS HAMMER: Sean Payton suspended for 2012 season, NFL announces. Mickey Loomis suspended 1st 8 games and must pay $500K fine

Jay Glazer @JayGlazer
Saints had planned to have Joe Vitt take over for Sean Payton as interim head coach but Vitt banned now as well

Chris Mortensen ‏ @mortreport
#Saints also losing second round draft picks in 2012 and 2013.

Further punishment or will that suffice?

The Comish spent an inordinate amount of time trying to think of how to nullify the Saints First round pick that New England now has.

Sort of a twofer for his beloved Jesters, who were never punished for the Coach's SidelineGate affair, that wa smeant to injure the oposition's Gunner and best ST player.

But that would too Raw, even for him.

The Saints board sounds so much like ours 5 years ago. There are threads about calling the league office, saying Benson should be fighting this, etc.

******* great....more bull**** attention on Spygate.

Losing your HC for a year can devastate a team, let alone the coach. To take the coach for a year AND take what amounts to your first pick in the draft away, wow, that's a killer. No pick until the 3rd round this year! No 2nd next year. There had to be more to this story than we have heard for this kind of destructive penalty

But I say here and now the Payton appeals and only gets 8-10 games. A whole year is just mind blowing.

As I understand it, the only person to whom Payton could appeal is Goodell, who would probably pour himself a nice drink, sit back and consult with himself before deciding...

How is it not gambling? To me its the equivalent of saying I bet you one hundred dollars I can injure a player on the other team.

Yeah, and when your company offers a bonus if you 'get' some account, do you consider that gambling, as well?

Because that's what this was, only it was merely a quasi-official bonus system. What makes it wrong is not the bonuses. What makes it wrong is what the bonuses were for. Hell, the league allows for contractual bonuses for things like sacks and interceptions.

Added confirmation of draft picks lost and Saints assistant Vitt being suspended too.

Isn't that the guy who would have been the interim coach if they didn't go outside? So, now they have no one on board who can step in. Pretty devastating to a team coming up on the draft.

Didn't see Peyton suspended for a whole season,I thought maybe 4 games.

Goodell is lowering the boom on N.O. and practically ending the Saints 2012 season before it even kickoffs....Good job IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft