PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL suspends Payton, Loomis & Williams; strips Saints of two draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: NFL suspends Payton, Loomis & Williams; strips Saints of two draft picks

btw How do you suspend a GM for 8 games? Is he not allowed to make personnel decisiions from now until midseason?

hmmmm very harsh....hitting the organization at all levels...but hell..... at least the Patriots get a better pick this year and next year in the 2nd round :)

BTW the water boy will be coaching them this year :)

I sympathize with the Saints fans. Wish it was the Steelers or Jets where I'd have no sympathy. Hate to see Payton's fall from grace.

While Payton's WAS a likable guy, there's a reason he's getting suspended for the year. The team was warned about this. He obviously knew about it and then he tried to lie about it and said he didn't know and tried to let Gregg Williams take the fall for it.

While I like what the Saints organization did for the city Post-Katrina this shatters my respect for the franchise.

While I may be admittedly bias or even naive trying to incentivize players to injure and end other player's careers seems far worse to me then the Patriots taping games from the wrong sections in a stadium and then using that footage in post-game review.

Losing your HC for a year can devastate a team, let alone the coach. To take the coach for a year AND take what amounts to your first pick in the draft away, wow, that's a killer. No pick until the 3rd round this year! No 2nd next year. There had to be more to this story than we have heard for this kind of destructive penalty

But I say here and now the Payton appeals and only gets 8-10 games. A whole year is just mind blowing.

I don't believe there are any appeals. The coaches don't belong to any union. They could sue, but then they'd never work anywhere again.

Another big surprise for me in all this was how disliked the Saints organization was around the leage. I agree Payton came off as likeable but apparently he's just as ruthless and arrogant as your typical NFL head coach. I only have room in my heart for one of those guys.:cool:

Last edited:

not having a pick until 91 is really rough... Lets do them a favor and trade them back this years first for next year's first..... Heck, it's bound to be a better pick next year..lol.

in all seriousness though, my condolences to pherein ... Great guy, great poster, great fan.
Just as with spygate... The real losers are the loyal fans :(

Last edited:

Losing two seconds makes sense. It probably would have been a first, but they don't have one this year, so there it is.

btw How do you suspend a GM for 8 games? Is he not allowed to make personnel decisiions from now until midseason?

I'm wondering how you enforce it. There's no way that his replacement won't be on the phone with him all day everyday.

WOW the commish dropped the hammer on them. I never thought that Payton would be suspended for an entire year.

I'm wondering how you enforce it. There's no way that his replacement won't be on the phone with him all day everyday.
I'm sure he's been told that he can't contact - or be contacted by - the team in any way.

How do you enforce it ? Look at the penalties for CameraGate and BountyGate - would you (either the team or the GM) risk the penalty for disobeying Goodell ? Love him or hate him, he's proving to be a tough mother f*cker who will slam them again if they don't follow this penalty.

Last edited:
Re: Payton, Loomis & Williams suspended

Williams is going to be out of the NFL. He either squeals to Goodell on people involved, and makes himself a difficult hire later on, or he doesn't share any info and Goodell never lifts the ban. He's eff'd either way.

C'mon phone records are easily checked & enforced. Just think what would happen to the Saints were they next found flaunting Herr Goodells orders.

His suspension starts the monday of week 1 of the regular season.

Good news! We have the 62nd pick in the draft now :rocker:

This is an expected, but fair punishment.

Spygate is nothing compared to this bounty system, which in my opinion was a criminal enterprise. It was the exchange of money for intentionally injuries, with extra compensation for catastrophic 'cart offs'.

I think there should be criminal prosecutions for it.

Perhaps if Favre wasn't the guy targeted+injured I'd be more offended. But man, if anyone deserved to get smacked around...

Re: NO Saints HC Payton Suspended for One Year

No pay per CNBC.

Does that mean he loses a year of his contract? Say he was in year 3 of a 5 year deal...does he lose the year without pay? Or do they essentially push the entire contract back a year, so that when he resumes, it's still year 3 of a 5 year deal?

Because if they just dock him the year, I've heard it's essentially an *8 MILLION DOLLAR* fine.

This is an expected, but fair punishment.

Spygate is nothing compared to this bounty system, which in my opinion was a criminal enterprise. It was the exchange of money for intentionally injuries, with extra compensation for catastrophic 'cart offs'.

I think there should be criminal prosecutions for it.

ooooooo, Al Capone style for tax evasion.

Schefter says suspension will cost Payton his $7 million salary.

Ow.

Edit: Seems obvious, cuz that's what's happens when you're suspended .. .you don't get paid. But to see it put that way. Wow.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye