PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL should do away with Thursday night games

I have to say that I don't like Thursday night games, except on Thanksgiving. The NFL is bordering on over-saturation for me.

i agree with you

personally i love expecially 1 pm Sunday games

Do we have any data supporting the theory that players are more likely to get injured playing in Thursday night games?

Sure, it makes a certain amount of intuitive sense, but the fact that it wasn't a point of contention in the CBA negotiations, and that players don't sound off about it in-season, makes me wonder if it's just not the case.

One point you can not question is the Quality of the games will be a lot lower with players playing on three less days to recouperate, not to mention players injured in the previous game having less time to heal. As a result players going less than 100% will be more inclined to get injured and aggrivate recent injuries. Any way you look at it safety is an issue.

Useing the logic of your question, there is no data stateing that substituting two preseason games with two games that count present any more hazzard. Yet the NFLPA states safety to avoid that option....Why no thought of questioning playing with only three days between games. Does not make any sence!!!

One point you can not question is the Quality of the games will be a lot lower with players playing on three less days to recouperate, not to mention players injured in the previous game having less time to heal. As a result players going less than 100% will be more inclined to get injured and aggrivate recent injuries. Any way you look at it safety is an issue.

I agree there are probably differences in game quality. One imagines that the teams play with simplified game plans, and that the players haven't been able to watch as much film of their opponents. Historically, BB's had some of the coaching staff start working on the Thursday game in the prior week, but that still leaves less time to implement the plan.

I think that players injured on the prior Sunday have been much more likely to be held out of a Thursday game. That's definitely going to have a negative impact on game quality.

But quality of game is a different argument. If it is in fact the case that a significant number of players are playing in Thursday games when they're not well enough too, and are therefore more likely to get injured, there will be data to bear that out. I haven't seen any so far, which is why I'm asking if anyone else has.

Useing the logic of your question, there is no data stateing that substituting two preseason games with two games that count present any more hazzard. Yet the NFLPA states safety to avoid that option....Why no thought of questioning playing with only three days between games. Does not make any sence!!!

I think it's pretty conclusive that a player is significantly less likely to get injured in a game he plays for only two possessions. Even more so when he doesn't play at all.

Rosters are bigger in preseason games, and the players who tend to get the most playing time are the ones less likely to play much in the regular season. Since the games don't count, teams have little to no incentive to play anyone who isn't healthy, and this is certainly born out by preseason game participation.

Completely agree - get rid of these Thursday night games for all those reasons previously mentioned. I'd be happiest if all the games were played at 1PM and 4:30PM on Sundays.

Completely agree - get rid of these Thursday night games for all those reasons previously mentioned. I'd be happiest if all the games were played at 1PM and 4:30PM on Sundays.

No. I like the Sunday and Monday night games. The Thursday night games are the ones that suck.

I enjoy the Thursday night games, but the OP does have a valid point when considering that the teams playing are coming in off of, not a four day rest, but in reality, only three.

The NFL should, as another poster suggested, schedule teams for the Thursday night game from the ones that had a bye on the previous schedule. Of course, the bye weeks do not begin until week 4 of the regular schedule so for the first three weeks it can't be done.

I enjoy the Thursday night games, but the OP does have a valid point when considering that the teams playing are coming in off of, not a four day rest, but in reality, only three.

The NFL should, as another poster suggested, schedule teams for the Thursday night game from the ones that had a bye on the previous schedule. Of course, the bye weeks do not begin until week 4 of the regular schedule so for the first three weeks it can't be done.

My personal take is =Teams which play Sunday ->Thu->Sunday do get like 2-3 extra days from Thus-Sunday. like a mini bye week

I like Thursday games. Anymore than that is it would probably be too much. I don't think the short week has anything to do with the quality. The issue is in previous years NFLN got weak matchups and poor teams. Yesterdays Packers and Bears game didn't look bad to me it was a very defensive game and low scoring for the most part.

Perhaps they will change it next season to have the games after the byes. They would just have to extend the bye weeks. I don't know how anyone can call it oversaturation.

NFL should do away with Thursday night games
By: John Morgan

NFL fans deserve a better quality product than what is currently being delivered on Thursday night. More importantly, NFL players deserve better working conditions than having to play four days after their last game...

If you want to make the rules - build your own sandbox!

Watch or don't watch

Are you people kidding me, complaining about Thursday night football? What's next, *****ing about a Monday morning blowjob?

Are you people kidding me, complaining about Thursday night football? What's next, *****ing about a Monday morning blowjob?

:rofl::rofl:

announcers suck..but the games do not

Last edited:
I'd rather have two national games every Monday night sort of like they had in week one but earlier:

6:15 kickoff on one network (usually with East coast teams)
9:30 kickoff on another network (usually with West/mountain/central teams)

Makes for a late night for East Coast fans, but is a fairer schedule for players

I'd rather have two national games every Monday night sort of like they had in week one but earlier:

Makes for a late night for East Coast fans, but is a fairer schedule for players

i could do with that..but don't think it will ever happen. 6:15 game at gillette on a monday during rush hour? Good luck even getting to the stadium

i could do with that..but don't think it will ever happen. 6:15 game at gillette on a monday during rush hour? Good luck even getting to the stadium
Columbus Day or Veterans Day.

I hate thursday night games but I'm not sure if it's because the games are boring or because the broadcast sucks ass. Probably a combination of both..

A game from 3:15-6:15 PST? That's a weekly game that begins and ends before most people on the West coast get home from work.

I don't agree at all. I love the Thursday night games. It gives me something to look forward to during the week.

I don't have a problem with the production either. It's better than ESPN's.

I was OK with the Thursday night games happening from Thanksgiving-onward last year. But I agree with the OP, it's too much. What I really like is spreading the schedule to Saturdays once the college season is over.

Sunday, Sunday night and Monday night is where it should stay.

I like Thursday games. Anymore than that is it would probably be too much. I don't think the short week has anything to do with the quality. The issue is in previous years NFLN got weak matchups and poor teams. Yesterdays Packers and Bears game didn't look bad to me it was a very defensive game and low scoring for the most part.

Perhaps they will change it next season to have the games after the byes. They would just have to extend the bye weeks. I don't know how anyone can call it oversaturation.

It is difficult to schedule teams based on "last year's performance"

Teams change from season to season and last years great team could be this year's dud.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back