PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL should do away with Thursday night games

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
By: John Morgan

NFL fans deserve a better quality product than what is currently being delivered on Thursday night. More importantly, NFL players deserve better working conditions than having to play four days after their last game...

screw that...i want football on thursday night d%#*!@t

Disagree, it's great having another night of football.

Player safety goes out the window when revenue is involved.

I have to say that I don't like Thursday night games, except on Thanksgiving. The NFL is bordering on over-saturation for me.

By: John Morgan

NFL fans deserve a better quality product than what is currently being delivered on Thursday night. More importantly, NFL players deserve better working conditions than having to play four days after their last game...

Actually, the "four day" concept can be eliminated by adjusting the bye format and have the games played by teams coming off the bye.

It's called revenue.

There are interviews out there with some players liking Thursday because it's a mini bye.

What Kontra said. The NFL owns the rights to those games, why would they give up all that ad revenue?

Plus I like having something to watch on Thursday. :D

Just cant get enough football..................

i can't get enough either..wish it was every night

I have to say that I don't like Thursday night games, except on Thanksgiving. The NFL is bordering on over-saturation for me.

Agree with this. The Thanksgiving games seem to be the only ones that are entertaining. Every single other Thursday night game I've watched has been dead boring. I like having Tuesday through Sunday off during the regular season. Makes me salivate for football on Sundays that much more.

Giants/Panthers looks like it's going to be another snoozefest.

Agree with this. The Thanksgiving games seem to be the only ones that are entertaining. Every single other Thursday night game I've watched has been dead boring. I like having Tuesday through Sunday off during the regular season. Makes me salivate for football on Sundays that much more.

Giants/Panthers looks like it's going to be another snoozefest.

The same league going thru the motions of player safety greatly reducing contact practices adds Thursday night games where players have violent contact again after just 4 days. Hypocrites.

Worse yet, the games suck. Bigtime.

The same league going thru the motions of player safety greatly reducing contact practices adds Thursday night games where players have violent contact again after just 4 days. Hypocrites.

That's why I said that player safety goes out the window when revenue is involved.

Roger Goodell: :bricks:

Last edited:
I'd like it a lot better if it was on Friday night but understand they won't because HS football is big on Friday night in many parts of the country. I DVR the games that interest me and watch them in the morning on the treadmill or cycling trainer and get rid of the commercials as it stands.

screw that...i want football on thursday night d%#*!@t

Disagree, it's great having another night of football.

What Kontra said. The NFL owns the rights to those games, why would they give up all that ad revenue?

Plus I like having something to watch on Thursday. :D

As mentioned in the article there are alternative dates (Saturday or Tuesday) which would result in the same number of days per week there are NFL games, or schedule it so teams playing on Thursday are coming off a bye.

My biggest question here is, the NFLPA has *****ed about EVERY move the NFL has made and uses player safety as the new rally call to the media consistantly. Why haven't they spoken one word about this. I mean what produces more hazzard to the players than one day off, then one day of practice, and one day of travel to play on thursday night?

Actually, the "four day" concept can be eliminated by adjusting the bye format and have the games played by teams coming off the bye.

It's called revenue.

There are interviews out there with some players liking Thursday because it's a mini bye.
I made this exact same suggestion at PFT. You wouldn't be able to have a full 16 game Thursday night schedule, but it would probably work for around 10 That way the team would have 11 days between the game before the bye and the Thursday night game and 10 days after it before their next one.

i do hate the announcers. Do the pats play thursday night at all this year besides thanksgiving?

Do we have any data supporting the theory that players are more likely to get injured playing in Thursday night games?

Sure, it makes a certain amount of intuitive sense, but the fact that it wasn't a point of contention in the CBA negotiations, and that players don't sound off about it in-season, makes me wonder if it's just not the case.

As mentioned in the article there are alternative dates (Saturday or Tuesday) which would result in the same number of days per week there are NFL games, or schedule it so teams playing on Thursday are coming off a bye.

The NFL tends to leave Saturday to college football during its season. In the early days, the Saturday/Sunday accord helped the NFL get a foothold without being overrun by the more established and popular college game. Now, I imagine that the NFL doesn't want to mess up the business of its no-cost developmental league.

Fridays are a non-starter because TV audiences are smaller, and ad rates cheaper.

Tuesday's a possibility, but the turn-around from a Tuesday game to a Sunday game is only one day longer than from Sunday to Thursday, and they'd be going up against teams that had two extra days to prepare. At least with Thursdays, both teams are in the same boat.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back