PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL rule changes: tuck rule eliminated; leading with head prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.
And seriously, I've missed the NFL playoffs since 2004 (our farm doesn't have a TV, Pa says if it's daylight a man should be a'workin and if its dark he should be a'sleepin, so he won't tolerate a TV, makes him plum angry ).

How many SBs have the Pats won now? Probably every year I bet.

I've heard they even went 16-0 and were huge favorites against the Giants one year. Probably killed them. I did hear Plaxico predicted they'd not only win but they'd hold the Pats to 17 points, what a dummy.

Then I heard something about a rematch against those Giants, an 18 point lead against the Colts, a Rematch against a Jets team they blew out a few weeks earlier.

The Pats have the best most clutch QB ever andive been told they're almost always one of the top teams in the RS....shoot.......they probably have 10 SB wins by now......a ring fer each finger.........right?

Good God, you live HeeHaw . . . tell your pa to get cable or something . . . you should think about getting a DVR . . . so you can watch the games after milking the cows . . .

And just to bring you up to date we have not won a SB since 2004 . . .

You should think about getten' to bed before pa catches you on that there computer. 'cause i reckon' you need to be up bring an earlier tomorrow to get the seeding started for the spring planting . . .

'cause i reckon' you need to be up bring an earlier tomorrow to get the seeding started for the spring planting . . .

a minor correction...tomorrow is the "Spot The Lucky Heifer!" jamboree at the Indy 4H Fairgrounds...he's gonna mosey on down there and see if he can't spot himself a missus...

Did you watch the Den-Balt playoff game in which Manning's arm came forward and he trapped it in his crotch, and then the ball hit the ground? . . . that was the tuck rule, but just post tuck and hence fumble . . . had he not trapped it and let it dropped to the ground it would of been an incomplete pass . . ., and btw this is what did happen to romo last year and it was an incomplete pass . . .

Did you watch the first game of the season between Pitt and Indy in which Big Ben hand came forward and he lost control of the ball and it was a fumble . . . ?

All of these are applications of the tuck rule, well really the forward pass rule with the tuck being the end point of the pass and when it become a ball that can be ruled a fumble . . .

I am surprise that you did not see the game live . . . but surely you saw replays . . . and whether you saw it live or on a replay, it does not matter, you had knowledge . . . and even for the strangest reason did not know anything about the game until today, you now have knowledge ot it . . .

Regardless, if this tuck rule was such a evil rare occurance it would of been all over the papers and news after the event in Indy, and unless one is hiding under a rock in SD, one would of gotten wind of the once in a generation event in December in Indy . . .

but is not like that, and but you missing and/or not mentioning it earlier in this thread is evidence that it is not a big event but in the ordinary coarse of the sport and life, that is why is was under your radar and/or forgotten about even tho it was less than 3 months ago . . .

The tuck rule is not as rare and many try to make it out to be . . .

Believe it or not ND doesn't usually show Colts games and when you work 7 days a week for 6 weeks straight 12 hours a day your priorities change, so I didn't get to see every game in its entirety this year.

But you mean now a fumble is going to be called a fumble? The horror. If this is such an issue why is it the Tuck Rule was only called once in a blue moon? We're they just doing a horrible job all the other times?

Even when it was called in 2001 Brady had both hands on the ball lol. It was an absurd rule and everyone obviously agreed since it was overwhelmingly voted down.

Good God, you live HeeHaw . . . tell your pa to get cable or something . . . you should think about getting a DVR . . . so you can watch the games after milking the cows . . .

And just to bring you up to date we have not won a SB since 2004 . . .

You should think about getten' to bed before pa catches you on that there computer. 'cause i reckon' you need to be up bring an earlier tomorrow to get the seeding started for the spring planting . . .

I have an Ipad....Pa doesn't know...shhhhh.

I'm not tired just yet....I think I'll just go to Profootball-reference and check out how the Pats have been doing in the POs since 2004. Brady is so clutch. Somebody told me he's had a mess of terrible games in the POs lately, said he had multiple games with 3 INTs....lots of games with ratings in the 60s. Heck, I've even heard tell Brady coughed the ball up 4 times and lost to the Ravens....at home....and that Flacco only had a 10 rating and won. Don't that beat all? I don't know why people make up these stories about Brady. Greatest most clutch QB ever.

He started 10-0, in the POs if i 'member right. Pats probably have more SB trophies than they know what to do with.

It cracks me up seeing Pats fans try to defend the Tuck Rule. Yeah, obviously getting rid of the rule is going to lead to a bunch of incomplete passes being called fumble because the Tuck Rule was calle so often, right?

In all my time watching the NFL I've only ever seen the Tuck Rule called once, and that was Pats VS Raiders 2001.

I've been watching the NFL since 1987 and like 99.99999% of NFL fans had never even heard of the tuck rule before 2001.

I'm aware it has been called a few other times, once in a blue moon, but to act like losing a ridiculous rule is bad is ridiculous.

Brady had both hands on the ball in the first place....was he going to shot put it? It was clearly a fumble and the Pats got away with one, congrats. But don't try to defend a BS rule because it helped you win a SB.

The NFl got it right by getting rid of a horrible rule.

hey opie or dopie or whatever your name is. not only did that play not affect the sb, it didn't even affect the score of the raider game.

NFL doing good with eliminating tuck-rule but then rubbish's all of it with eliminating leading-head helmet. stupid NFL.

Believe it or not ND doesn't usually show Colts games and when you work 7 days a week for 6 weeks straight 12 hours a day your priorities change, so I didn't get to see every game in its entirety this year.

But you mean now a fumble is going to be called a fumble? The horror. If this is such an issue why is it the Tuck Rule was only called once in a blue moon? We're they just doing a horrible job all the other times?

Even when it was called in 2001 Brady had both hands on the ball lol. It was an absurd rule and everyone obviously agreed since it was overwhelmingly voted down.

To be honest the tuck rule as they call it was really not eliminated but merely modified to how they administered the rule in the game . . . and again the tuck rule is not a separate rule in of itself, but merely the end point of the forward pass rule and specifically the delineation point between the forward pass ceasing to exist and the QB being deemed a runner again thereby a dislodged or lost ball is a fumble and not an incomplete pass . . .

The old forward pass rule was as follows:

NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble

So here you can see the forward pass rule showing the two points of the pass, the start point (any intentional forward movement of his arm) and the end point (if a player has tucked the ball into his body) . . . the end point was past the point of the process of tucking the ball into his body . . . so bottom line the old forward pass rule including as a pass the tucking process . . .

However, the way in which the refs used the rule, they did not require the ball to be tucked into the body to call it a fumble . . . yes Manning had it tucked in his body against Balt (albeit for a brief moment), but at least on two occasions Big Ben had a fumble (last year against Cinn and the year prior against SF) in which he tried to corral the ball and lost the ball before it got to his body and they called it a fumble . . . and understandably so . . .

The new version of the rule will stop the forward past during the tucking process (like Big Ben’s fumbles), that is during the process of the QB bringing the ball back to his body . . . however this point is sequentially past the point of the pump fake . . . that is to say a QB who pump fakes the ball, never attempts to stop the pass and bring it back to his body . . . I would of preferred the end of the pump fake to be the end point of the pass . . .

The problem with the Brady pass was that he never brought the ball back to his body and objectively was doing a pump fake . . . many times when Brady, and other QBs, do a pump fake they bring the second hand in to stop the ball (and also not lose the ball on a pump fake) and bring the ball back to throw it . . . the problem with the pump fake and the new rule is that the pump fake is not an attempt to corral the ball . . .

so in reality a QB doing what Brady did would still be an incomplete pass under the new modified rule . . . it is what it is . . . again I would of like to have seen the NFL bring back the end point of the forward pass to the end of the pump fake . . . or simply when the forward motion of the arm going forward stops or the ball is pointing to the ground, at 3 PM if you will . . . this point, for me, would have been a better point to end the forward pass . . .

I am sorry to hear you can not get some colts games . . . it can be frustration if your local broadcast does not show you favorite team . . .

Was never a fan of the tuck rule. I realize that the intent of it was to make a fumble/incomplete pass less of a judgment call - but it takes what most everybody thinks should be a fumble and turns it into an incomplete pass.

The refs make a ton of judgment calls every game and I find this one not particularly difficult to make, all things considered.

That being said, I'm happy the tuck rule was around in January, 2002. ;)

NFL doing good with eliminating tuck-rule but then rubbish's all of it with eliminating leading-head helmet. stupid NFL.

How? You don't need to put use your head to lead when you run. Jim Brown never did and he is arguably the greatest RB of all-time.

Good rule. Now the enforcement of it will be tough and will most likely draw some controversy during the season.

How? You don't need to put use your head to lead when you run. Jim Brown never did and he is arguably the greatest RB of all-time.

Good rule. Now the enforcement of it will be tough and will most likely draw some controversy during the season.

Brings back great memories of Jim Brown dragging 2-3 hapless Giants another 10 yards after contact. Fast and at 6' 2" and 225 back in the 60s was a man among boys.

Always good to see a Colts fan get severely demolished. Cartwright is that you? I smelled tuna and knew you were right around the corner, you sandbaggin' son of a ***** you.

In all my time watching the NFL I've only ever seen the Tuck Rule called once, and that was Pats VS Raiders 2001.

when you work 7 days a week for 6 weeks straight 12 hours a day your priorities change, so I didn't get to see every game in its entirety

Hmmm, apparently you failed to consider that maybe the fact that you don't watch much of any football has something to do with why you don't often see a certain call being made?

Yet you and you alone, with all those football games that you don't watch, are the sole voice of reason?

:der:

Muhammad Ali was arguably the greatest fighter ever and any fighter that tried to mimic his style of leaning back to avoid punches would get his head caved in.

Muhammad Ali was arguably the greatest fighter ever and any fighter that tried to mimic his style of leaning back to avoid punches would get his head caved in.

Technically, Ali got his head caved in too. It just took a few years to see the effects.

Leading with your? What does that even mean. Man might as well change the name of the NFL to Sarcastic Ball. Just hug and compliment each other while the no good pos upstairs whipes his ass with 100 dollar bills.

One need only play the tape of Mike Tolbert, SD @ NE, 09/18/2011.

Edit: And while they're at it, the league needs to start penalizing offensive players who stiff-arm
defenders on the helmet
, especially the facemask. If Hands To The Face is good for the goose,
it should be good for the gander too.

Now you really are ****ifying the game. When Corey Dillon was here, I was always looking forward to seeing him heel of palm punching some defender.

One of the best stiff armers ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7DUub5XHeo

And seriously, I've missed the NFL playoffs since 2004 (our farm doesn't have a TV, Pa says if it's daylight a man should be a'workin and if its dark he should be a'sleepin, so he won't tolerate a TV, makes him plum angry ).

How many SBs have the Pats won now? Probably every year I bet.

I've heard they even went 16-0 and were huge favorites against the Giants one year. Probably killed them. I did hear Plaxico predicted they'd not only win but they'd hold the Pats to 17 points, what a dummy.

Then I heard something about a rematch against those Giants, an 18 point lead against the Colts, a Rematch against a Jets team they blew out a few weeks earlier.

The Pats have the best most clutch QB ever andive been told they're almost always one of the top teams in the RS....shoot.......they probably have 10 SB wins by now......a ring fer each finger.........right?

I missed the NFL too since 04, I did tune into the end of this one season 2009 maybe? This team ****ied out of going 16-0 because they couldn't handle the pressure of going undefeated. I tuned in a few weeks later and saw that it was a good choice as the GOAT quarterback threw a pick-6 to lose that same team the Super Bowl.

Technically, Ali got his head caved in too. It just took a few years to see the effects.

If Jim Brown played 18 years instead of nine, he would have too.

Obviously, you aren't from that era.

If Jim Brown played 18 years instead of nine, he would have too.

Obviously, you aren't from that era.

No, I'm not old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft