PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL rule changes: tuck rule eliminated; leading with head prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.
again...I have to state it....who cares what the rules change is...in the post season the refs selected will just ignore the rules...just like they did PI/Illegal contact in the Super Bowl.

No problem eliminating the "tuck" rule...I've always been an "if it looks,walks, and quacks like a duck....guess what, it's a duck" fan...about time the QB's had this little dispensation for carelessness removed.

However...leading with the helmet?...this is one of those "works in theory,blows in reality" rules....what they've done is made a rule that's obviously prone to subjective interpretation. That is a recipe for chaos in this league with these refs.One ref's "crown" will be another's top of the face mask. In the end we'll get a slew of noncalls even as the rule is repeatedly broken, leading to the faux outrage on shows like PTI and NFLN sports desk.

Goodell, however, will run off another 20090 hours of face time across all the sports channels bragging about what HE is doing to make the game "safer". It's an all around joke and the only real reason for it is the liability the league faces from injured players....something you'll have to wait for Goodell to go to the dentist and get put under sodium pentathol before we ever get a straight answer and admission.

...and, more safety rules = less injuries = less players on IR = 18 game regular season = more money = all games resemble the Pro Bowl in 10 years = the NFL Red Zone becomes the Green Zone because the color red is too violent = the NFL changes the term Grid Iron to Buttercup Meadow

Very tired of all the Raider whining about how a loss in a divisional game cost them a Super Bowl.
Woodson's glancing blow to Brady's head on the tuck rule play is reminiscient of Sugar Bear Hamilton's incidental hit on Stabler that cost the Patriots a sure win.
Raiders didn't deserve that Super Bowl either.

Jeff Fisher is a douche bag. Period. !

Both rule changes are stupid and unnecessary. The tuck rule was a GOOD rule, and I'm not just saying that because it helped the Pats in '01. It defined the difference between an attempted pass and having possession. I don't get the reason for this change.

And leading with the head -- how can they enforce this? It's going to happen incidentally all the freaking time. When you have two players moving in reaction to one another, misinterpretation of intent by the refs is bound to happen!

Every time I see Jeff Fisher on TV I want to strangle him. BB needs to be on the damn rules committee.

It's a reflex for a RB to lower himself when about to get hit...NFL is full of morons

It's a reflex for a RB to lower himself when about to get hit...NFL is full of morons

I agree but part of that reflex would also be to turn your head away too not drive it forcefully forward through a target.

I really think more is being made of this than need be compared to hitting a defenseless receiver this is pretty minor and in the essence of player or safety I am ok with it.

It cracks me up seeing Pats fans try to defend the Tuck Rule. Yeah, obviously getting rid of the rule is going to lead to a bunch of incomplete passes being called fumble because the Tuck Rule was calle so often, right?

In all my time watching the NFL I've only ever seen the Tuck Rule called once, and that was Pats VS Raiders 2001.

I've been watching the NFL since 1987 and like 99.99999% of NFL fans had never even heard of the tuck rule before 2001.

I'm aware it has been called a few other times, once in a blue moon, but to act like losing a ridiculous rule is bad is ridiculous.

Brady had both hands on the ball in the first place....was he going to shot put it? It was clearly a fumble and the Pats got away with one, congrats. But don't try to defend a BS rule because it helped you win a SB.

The NFl got it right by getting rid of a horrible rule.

moron ...the tuck rule was called against the Pats in a game versus the Jets that same season....obviously you have cow pie poisoning or suffer from Moonhead Messiah withdrawal....try getting a clue before you decide to mouth off like a Junior Sample's clone...

draft_lens2210058module11916329photo_1223337908junior-samples-hee-haw.jpg

it was called three times that same season...the you tube of Testaverde's tuck SHOULD shut a complete idiot like you up...but, no one here will be surprised if you keep babbling like a polluted brook...and bTW ignoramus, YOUR GM , Bill Polian reviewed the play after the 2001 season as head of the comp committee and declared it the correct call and then spent the next five years changing every rule he could to favor Pay-Me-Tons Manling and his Moonhead Alpha offense.....you should have your internet revoked, Buford.

moron ...the tuck rule was called against the Pats in a game versus the Jets that same season....obviously you have cow pie poisoning or suffer from Moonhead Messiah withdrawal....try getting a clue before you decide to mouth off like a Junior Sample's clone...

draft_lens2210058module11916329photo_1223337908junior-samples-hee-haw.jpg

And you should learn to read. Did you see the part where I said its never been called in a game I was watching except the Pats Raiders?

Or the part where I said I'm aware it was called a few other times......just you know.....not in any game I've ever watched?

Usually I just ignore fools but this one time Joker I felt sorry for you so I replied. I won't again, you can't win an argument against a fool.

It cracks me up seeing Pats fans try to defend the Tuck Rule. Yeah, obviously getting rid of the rule is going to lead to a bunch of incomplete passes being called fumble because the Tuck Rule was calle so often, right?

In all my time watching the NFL I've only ever seen the Tuck Rule called once, and that was Pats VS Raiders 2001.

I've been watching the NFL since 1987 and like 99.99999% of NFL fans had never even heard of the tuck rule before 2001.

I'm aware it has been called a few other times, once in a blue moon, but to act like losing a ridiculous rule is bad is ridiculous.

Brady had both hands on the ball in the first place....was he going to shot put it? It was clearly a fumble and the Pats got away with one, congrats. But don't try to defend a BS rule because it helped you win a SB.

Wow, obviously your bitter. I like how its all hate on the pats yet they are the most consistent team getting to the playoffs.

"once in a blue moon!!!!"...no, three times THAT season, once against the Pats....after all the games you've seen(your exactwords), you NEVER saw it called...I mean, you're so ludicrous you HAVE to be a sub-mongoloid....it's obvious you can't read or click proper links that would show you how intergalactically moronic you are...but then, that would probably mean you're NOT a Clots fan because that would show a glimmer of intelligence.... and please, DON'T RESPOND....we beg you....your type of infestation lowers the collective IQ exponentially.

Looks like we got a colts fan that missed the Colts-Texans game this past December . . . .

Colts Rookie QB Andrew Luck Gets an Assist From the Tuck Rule; Conner Barwin Not Happy [Video] | The News Sports Guru

...br-549...

Looks like we got a colts fan that missed the Colts-Texans game this past December . . . .

Colts Rookie QB Andrew Luck Gets an Assist From the Tuck Rule; Conner Barwin Not Happy [Video] | The News Sports Guru

I didn't get to watch all that game or any game this year, I was working in North Dakota. I split time between working, Gamecast and radio on my IPod, and trying to catch a few minutes on TV if I could and I obviously missed that play.

That changes everything.

Oh wait, no, no it doesn't.

I've still have never seen it called in any game I've been watching and its still (or was....since they finally had the sense to get rid of it) a horrible rule that was hardly ever called.

It no longer being on the rule books isn't going to lead to more fumble and make teams wish it was still on the books. The only fan base that actually supported that ridiculous rule is Pats fans.........for obvious reasons.

And seriously, I've missed the NFL playoffs since 2004 (our farm doesn't have a TV, Pa says if it's daylight a man should be a'workin and if its dark he should be a'sleepin, so he won't tolerate a TV, makes him plum angry ).

How many SBs have the Pats won now? Probably every year I bet.

I've heard they even went 16-0 and were huge favorites against the Giants one year. Probably killed them. I did hear Plaxico predicted they'd not only win but they'd hold the Pats to 17 points, what a dummy.

Then I heard something about a rematch against those Giants, an 18 point lead against the Colts, a Rematch against a Jets team they blew out a few weeks earlier.

The Pats have the best most clutch QB ever andive been told they're almost always one of the top teams in the RS....shoot.......they probably have 10 SB wins by now......a ring fer each finger.........right?

I didn't get to watch all that game or any game this year, I was working in North Dakota. I split time between working, Gamecast and radio on my IPod, and trying to catch a few minutes on TV if I could and I obviously missed that play.

That changes everything.

Oh wait, no, no it doesn't.

I've still have never seen it called in any game I've been watching and its still (or was....since they finally had the sense to get rid of it) a horrible rule that was hardly ever called.

It no longer being on the rule books isn't going to lead to more fumble and make teams wish it was still on the books. The only fan base that actually supported that ridiculous rule is Pats fans.........for obvious reasons.

Did you watch the Den-Balt playoff game in which Manning's arm came forward and he trapped it in his crotch, and then the ball hit the ground? . . . that was the tuck rule, but just post tuck and hence fumble . . . had he not trapped it and let it dropped to the ground it would of been an incomplete pass . . ., and btw this is what did happen to romo last year and it was an incomplete pass . . .

Did you watch the first game of the season between Pitt and Indy in which Big Ben hand came forward and he lost control of the ball and it was a fumble . . . ?

All of these are applications of the tuck rule, well really the forward pass rule with the tuck being the end point of the pass and when it become a ball that can be ruled a fumble . . .

I am surprise that you did not see the game live . . . but surely you saw replays . . . and whether you saw it live or on a replay, it does not matter, you had knowledge . . . and even for the strangest reason did not know anything about the game until today, you now have knowledge ot it . . .

Regardless, if this tuck rule was such a evil rare occurance it would of been all over the papers and news after the event in Indy, and unless one is hiding under a rock in SD, one would of gotten wind of the once in a generation event in December in Indy . . .

but is not like that, and but you missing and/or not mentioning it earlier in this thread is evidence that it is not a big event but in the ordinary coarse of the sport and life, that is why is was under your radar and/or forgotten about even tho it was less than 3 months ago . . .

The tuck rule is not as rare and many try to make it out to be . . .

The only fan base that actually supported that ridiculous rule is Pats fans.........for obvious reasons.

stop trolling, moron...it's been done ...and done far better than your extremely limited intelligence is able to comprehend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes