PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Publishes NEW Personal Conduct Policy

Which is why you shouldn't need a central authority like the NFL imposing discipline. The fans and media are paying close attention, more than they ever have before, and can hold the individual teams responsible for their actions or inactions. I fail to see how Goodell's punishments have had a positive impact on the game, players or league.

Understood. I completely agree that Goodell's punishments have been negative, but I still think a more thoughtful centralized oversight would be positive. The game is too public, the competitive desires to intense (team-wise, and more importantly, fan-wise) and the vested interest too strong to expect fairness across the league. Or, I should probably change that to the appearance of fairness.

FWIW, the competition piece is something that neither the SEC nor the Vatican really deal with. Obviously there is competition between financial firms, but there is no easy way to compare punishments between firms like you can in the NFL. The Vatican has no competition issue and really doesn't do any comparable oversight at all. The biggest similarity between them is how both they and the NFL will cover up as much as possible until it becomes an issue that cannot be ignored.

Last edited:
Not sure why they need a complicated chart:
Step 1 - Player may or may not break the code of conduct.
Step 2 - Goodell completely botches handling it embarrassing himself and the league.
Step 3 - 3rd party reverses Goodell's decision.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

After considering BSR and Deus' comments some more, I think I'm going to change my mind. Ultimately a commissioner is going to follow the Vatican model of burying as much as possible, and once something becomes public knowledge, it really doesn't matter who levies the penalty. It'll just be whatever minimum level pacifies public outcry and no more.

I still think competition and publicity are germane to the discussion, but those factors are already built into whatever response the media and fans will have.

Sadly, Bob Kraft was instrumental in drafting this "policy" and stood beside Goodell on the podium announcing it.

Is it time to hand over the reins to Jonathan?

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back