PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Players Poll: Most Underrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why a person that starts off having a reasonably calm discussion suddenly turns into Dr. Death and amputates his typing fingers. There's gotta be some mental instability and he's undoubtedly worn out his welcome on Redskins forums.

he posted the worst stuff at 1:45...perhaps he had been "imbibing" a bit...

$20 says he runs off to his team forum and says that he was banned on a Pats forum because he questioned the greatness of WW, not because he posted racist BS. Any takers? ;)

i could care less what an idiot like that says anywhere about anything.

Dude you are a dumbass. I said he shouldnt be grouped in the same tier as all-around playmaking WRs. Dont twist the words. I showed the stats and they prove my point. Yet people still group a one trick pony to Randy Moss.

I dont know why I bother this is the same fanbase who backed a cheating team. You guys just get worked up off of little stuff b/c you won your only SBs by using sonys.

Im laughing at your fanbases ignorance.

Go wear your 19-0 t-shirt oh wait a village of nigge-rs are wearing them in africa.

258Troll_spray.jpg

I find that most of the underrated players in the league are OL, DL, Safeties, Corners, LBs in that order.

You really only hear about most OL when they get beat, you rarely hear about them when they hold their man. Thats what I used to like about John Madden, he always gave them the credit they deserved.

i think big time safeties and shut down corners get a lot of attention. but the OL, definitely I agree. it's a little hard to explain, rationally at least, since the Offense can't succeed without them...i guess it's because they tend to be big guys behind large helmet grilles who also happen to be a little on the "quiet" side when it comes to self promotion and media presence...

Very interesting that it's all skilled position players, you'd think the most underrated guy with be on defense / offensive line or something.

All those guys are well respected in the league on that SI list. I don't think they are overrated or underrated, I think they are just "rated" lol. If you want to talk about underrated players, here's a few players I would include:

1. Chester Taylor
2. Corey Webster
3. Ronnie Brown
4. Weddle(On San Diego)
5. Antoine Bethea

Wes is the man, I would take him over any WR in the league hands down, even randy.

I don't know how ppl can't look at this guys and not know, he's a special kind of player and there aren't many like him around. Just glad he's here!!!

Not only that, he's a white guy playing a black guys position, that alone in it self is amazing. I'm not saying that it matters what color you are but we all know most black people have superior athleticism compared to most white people, It's genetics plan and simple. Not trying to play a race card or anything.

WOW! This was one of those threads where, after the first page you go right to the last page. This time, we find out the troll is also a racist. No need to type anymore..............

Wes is pretty underrated, but I think Darren Sproles should have won that (Atleast out of the top players I saw on that list). Sproles is better than LT and let me just get the fact out there: LT is pretty much done. Sproles is an absolute dominant and clutch player being overshadowed by a washed up one.

Peyton Manning though is the most underrated player of all time ;).

I find that most of the underrated players in the league are OL, DL, Safeties, Corners, LBs in that order.

You really only hear about most OL when they get beat, you rarely hear about them when they hold their man. Thats what I used to like about John Madden, he always gave them the credit they deserved.

i agree Steve Hutchinson has been the best G in the NFL since he came in with the Seahawks but not a lot of people knew him untill he got big money from the vikings is a FA

I agree.

Only two players polled over 5%. The rest weren't close. Welker is considered the best splot receiver in the league. Brees is considered on of the top QB's and the likely NFC MVP as of now. I don't see how they are overrated. What the poll does show is that other players greatly respect these two players.

Odd choices there. Welker is generally considered the best slot receiver in the game. Brees and Rivers are generally considered top 5-6 QBs. Steve Smith is usually considered the best 'small' receiver in the game. Andre Johnson usually gets top 5 rankings and Boldin is usually in the top 10, along with Reggie Wayne.

Oh, well..... the nature of polls, and all that.

That poll is bogus.

L. Koolaid Maroney isnt on the list.

Wes Welker is the Dustin Pedroia-Darin Erstad of the NFL. The media loves him because he's small and "scrappy" (whatever that means), and trumpets him as so underrated that he becomes overrated.

Not that I don't think Welker isn't a great WR - he is. Lord knows I've watched enough Bills games against the Pats to know Welker will kill you all day underneath. But IMO, the media has overhyped him to the point of being overrated.

A true underrated player would be someone like Mike Bell, or Ray Rice - they don't get a ton of attention in the slightest, but they get it done.

Last edited:
Wes Welker is the Dustin Pedroia-Darin Erstad of the NFL. The media loves him because he's small and "scrappy" (whatever that means), and trumpets him as so underrated that he becomes overrated.

The poll is based on player input, not media input. I tend to doubt players put much stock in media assessments.

And I'm not sure repetition of underrated status claims could make a player overrated. His contribution either is or is not viewed in a manner consistent with his on the field performance. The fact that a 1000 people on different occasions review tape and arrive at the conclusion Welker in fact contributes more to the offense than they suspected he contributed does not translate to a perception he is now viewed as more important than he actually is. Maybe if you were talking about "unsung" (repeatedly saying someone is a major contributor would eliminate unsung status ) but not overrated.

Not that I don't think Welker isn't a great WR - he is. Lord knows I've watched enough Bills games against the Pats to know Welker will kill you all day underneath. But IMO, the media has overhyped him to the point of being overrated.

A true underrated player would be someone like Mike Bell, or Ray Rice - they don't get a ton of attention in the slightest, but they get it done.

Unless I misread the article, I think Welker leads the league in reception despite missing two games. When they broadcasts games, the first name mentioned isn't Welker (Brady) nor is it the second (Moss). Overrated?

Heres my list of underrated players by position.

QB: Matt Schaub
RB: With teeth gritted Thomas Jones
OT: Chad Clifton
WR: I can't think of any, Kenny Britt is only a rookie so he doesn't count.
TE: Greg Olsen

DT: Vince Wilfork
DE: Darnell Dockett
ILB: Andra Davis
OLB: I can't think of any
Safety: I can't think of any
CB: Leon Hall

The poll is based on player input, not media input. I tend to doubt players put much stock in media assessments..

And I'd bet money you're wrong. The players do just as ****ty a job at pro-bowl voting as the fans.

And I'd bet money you're wrong. The players do just as ****ty a job at pro-bowl voting as the fans.

Are you doubting whether the poll is based on player input, whether the player views are consistent with the views of the media, or whether the players care what the media has to say about other players? As I have no clue which of the aforementioned propositions you might be questioning, I'll respond with I'll take that bet and happily relieve you of your money. The first is verifiable, so you can call that a foolish bet if that is what you are in fact doubting.

As to the rest of your reply, I would love to exalt your unsupported opinion to gospel status (On what factual basis do you question player votes?), but it simply isn't in the cards. I would suspect players have "friend" and "enemy" biases in voting, which may generate questionable poll results (Has anyone claimed these results are flawless?), but I tend to doubt they are using media input to fuel those biases. When you work in and around people who know other people, you likely have all the information you need to form an opinion and cast a vote based on that opinion.

Are you doubting whether the poll is based on player input, whether the player views are consistent with the views of the media, or whether the players care what the media has to say about other players?

I am saying that I severely doubt that the players aren't swayed by the media. Remember, most of those terrible commentators are former players.

If you want to know who is really good, ask a good GM, not a player.

I am saying that I severely doubt that the players aren't swayed by the media. Remember, most of those terrible commentators are former players.

If you want to know who is really good, ask a good GM, not a player.

Interesting theory. I would take that bet as I expect players are more inclined to believe their eyes at close range than what Peter King or any writer has to say (I suspect you do not treat what writers publish as gospel, so why would a player with a 360 degree view of the subject?). That SI writer, Ross Tucker, sounds like he fashioned his own opinions based on what he saw, not what he read (as he was advertised as "the player-writer", that may also just be his angle in writing).

And I would agree the best measure of a player's ability is a GM and the scouts supporting that GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST