PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Players Poll: Most Underrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of those no name WRs had Moss catching 34 TDs the last 2 seasons.

I dont understand the point about bringing up Welker in Miami. He was a solid WR there. Just like he is now. Im only saying he is overrated when he is compared to top NFL WRs like he is.

I thought you said he shouldn't be compared to the wide receivers as he is a slot receiver? :confused:

Also, the term "playmaker" has to be defined. Play + maker = a person that makes a play ( fulfills his purpose on that particular play ). So in the case of welker, his purpose is to get 1st downs. And he is the best receiver at doing that.

So do you define a playmaking WR someone who makes 20+, 30+, 40+ yard plays? Which is it? If so, calculate that against Welker's percentage to get the 1st down.

I'd like to know who you think can do a better job than Welker. Cos I'm sure Bill Belichick would love to get him too.

Lastly, you say that Brady makes Welker. Consider how Matt Cassel is doing when he was with the Pats and then with the Chiefs. When the OL is collapsing, I can bet, the first person Cassel wishes he has now as an outlet is Welker.

Last edited:
I thought you said he shouldn't be compared to the wide receivers as he is a slot receiver? :confused:

Also, the term "playmaker" has to be defined. Play + maker = a person that makes a play ( fulfills his purpose on that particular play ). So in the case of welker, his purpose is to get 1st downs. And he is the best receiver at doing that.

So do you define a playmaking WR someone who makes 20+, 30+, 40+ yard plays? Which is it? If so, calculate that against Welker's percentage to get the 1st down.

I'd like to know who you think can do a better job than Welker. Cos I'm sure Bill Belichick would love to get him too.

Lastly, you say that Brady makes Welker. Consider how Matt Cassel is doing when he was with the Pats and then with the Chiefs. When the OL is collapsing, I can bet, the first person Cassel wishes he has now as an outlet is Welker.

Cassel would settle for Edelman, at this point. . . . ;)

Seriously, though, I'm also not surprised that nowhere in this whole conversation has there been any real recognition of Welker's contributions as a blocker.

And, as others noted earlier:
(A) Welker helps Moss get open, too: Moss' 23rd/Brady's 50th was a direct result of the Giants double-teaming Welker to keep him from getting the first down.
(B) Remember the "You f***in' suck!" play against the Colts? Everyone and their cats knew that Brady's first read on that play was "Find Welker just beyond the sticks." Even the defensive backs covering him had to know that, and they still couldn't stop him.

I did watch Monk and Irvin play. Neither was a deep touchdown threat, as the data shows. Harper had that role in Dallas, for example, not Irvin.

Furthermore, I didn't compare Welker to Irvin. You made a terrible assertion about players who could 'go deep and and score a TD on any given play'. I noted examples of great receivers who wouldn't fit that mold but are considered among the very best anyway.

Face it. Your argument on this is simply a bad argument.

Monk and Irvin werent pure deep threats. Im saying they had the ability and have had those plays deep. They also scored or intermediate routes, they also could break tackles. They were the complete package at WR. Harper ran alot of deep routes but Irvin also could go deep or take one across the middle to the house. Monk was also a great blocker to go with his other talents.

Just because Monk and Irvin werent pure deep threats dosent mean they couldnt take a TD to the house. Ive seen both of them burn coverage for scores. They both are HOF players and did things Wes Welker could never do.

You compared all of those WRs to Welker when you said they were great but werent deep threats. I still find it funny you dont think Irvin was a deep threat. He could do it all.

My arguement first of all was never a arguement. It was my opinion. It is pretty simple. You want to go back and forth about something that is so obvious b/c you are a Pats fan.

The way I meant Welker was overrated had nothing to do with what he does on the field. Anyone who is not biased could see my very simple point. Welker is a slot WR. I dont care if he catches 100 balls every year until he retires. Anytime you compare someone who is a slot WR and runs 5 yard and 10 yard routes on almost every play to a WR who can take a 5 yd route 80 yards, or can take a 15 yard route run over a defender and go 80, or a WR who can go deep and either burn a defender or out jump a defender to Welker you are overrating him.

Welker is a one trick pony. He does what he does very well. He shouldnt be compared to WRs that can do more than just run short routes. In the offense the Pats run with Moss making it hard for defenses weekly it sets Welker up. Any slot WR can make plays when you got Brady throwing it deep to Moss. If you want me to be honest if Moss wasnt on the team Welker wouldnt be getting over 80 catches let alone over 110. Teams could focus on him and shut down his simple routes.

Welker does what he does well and should get praise but two key factors keep blinding you.

1. The Pats offense does pad Welkers stats. Its the same reason Running Back Kevin Faulk has been on your team so long. He isnt anything special. All he does is run screen routes and does them well. Welker runs shorts routes and screens and does them well. Honestly I wouldnt want Moss to be out for the season but if he broke his leg Sunday you would see my point. You cant put Welker into a top tier with guys like Moss, Fitz, and Andre if all he can do is run short routes. If Welker had 2 and 3 guys on him he wouldnt do ****. You are a Pats fan so it blinds you. Kinda like how Redskin fans love Clinton Portis yet he hasnt done **** if you really breakdown his stats and game tape.

2. I only said hes overrated when you compare him to complete WRs. No one would take Wes Welker over Andre Johnson. No one would take Wes Welker over Larry Fitzgerald. No one would take Wes Welker over Randy Moss. I could go on and on but you get my point. Then you throw in HOF WRs names and compare them to Welker. Thats just ignorant. Then you say Irvin wasnt a deep threat. No he didnt burn guys but he could go deep and score. So could Monk. So can Boldin. Who has done it alot. I could go on but you would just brush it off because your homerism blinds you.

The bottom line is Wes Welker is a slot WR. No slot WR is worth **** when compared to a superstar or a HOFer. Why? Its simple if he was that good he wouldnt be getting only short balls. You knocked off my SB comment. Yet it did prove my point. When a team shuts down Moss Welker cant win a game for your team. He had catch after catch in the SB. Why? The Giants didnt care. You can have those short yards but sooner or later you will have to punt. If Welker had any deep or even 15 yard route skills what so ever you might of won that SB. Its simple without Moss teams gameplan for Welker first. He wouldnt get a catch in some games unless he got a cheap WR screen for a 2 yard loss.

Ill admit im wrong if Wes Welker gets into the HOF. Trust me he wont. Hes not that good. Hes a great slot WR. He isnt a great all-around WR. If you werent a Pats fan you would of seen that by now.

Dude you are a dumbass. I said he shouldnt be grouped in the same tier as all-around playmaking WRs. Dont twist the words. I showed the stats and they prove my point. Yet people still group a one trick pony to Randy Moss.

I dont know why I bother this is the same fanbase who backed a cheating team. You guys just get worked up off of little stuff b/c you won your only SBs by using sonys.

Im laughing at your fanbases ignorance.

Go wear your 19-0 t-shirt oh wait a village of nigge-rs are wearing them in africa.

You keep saying that Welker is overrated because people compare him to other top WR's and he cannot do what they do. You also said that those top WR's can do what he does and more but then go on and say that welker is the best at what he does? Maybe those other guys CANT do what Welker can. Apples to Oranges IMO.. he's among the best WR's in the league period.. it doesn't matter how it gets done. Welkers skill set allows him to do what he does better than anyone else... he's not a deep threat because the team doesn't use him that way but his yac is among the best if i'm not mistaken. He's not frikken overrated because he get's the job done. You are of course entitled to your opinion but your opinion is also very possibly wrong.

by the way your last post.. very nice. Come to a Pats message board and start a debate calling one of the best players on that team and even in the league overrated. Then get pissed because nobody agrees with you and resort to spygate? Wow dude you are a real piece of work. :rolleyes:

Dude you are a dumbass. I said he shouldnt be grouped in the same tier as all-around playmaking WRs. Dont twist the words. I showed the stats and they prove my point. Yet people still group a one trick pony to Randy Moss.

I dont know why I bother this is the same fanbase who backed a cheating team. You guys just get worked up off of little stuff b/c you won your only SBs by using sonys.

Im laughing at your fanbases ignorance.

Go wear your 19-0 t-shirt oh wait a village of nigge-rs are wearing them in africa.

Learn how to make an argument, find a decent team if you are in fact a Redskin fan, then return when you get some football education. The only point you proved is you don't understand the wide receiver position. You sound like your football understanding is based on Madden NFL player ratings.

And you cannot mock the Patriots fan base if you are a Redskin fan. The Pats may have lost the big game two years ago, but at least that team has sniffed the big game at least once since, when was it, 1991?

And the racial slur proves you have the IQ of a hamster. Find some other board to dumb down with your incoherent arguments.

Wow, I guess they let anything go on Redskins boards. That last comment makes Jets fans look like angels in comparison. Way to go representing you fan base, you must be real proud.

from 2007 untill now wes welker has 269 catch's

Larry Fitzgerald who most will say is the best WR in the nfl has 237 catch's in that time

Andre Johnson 219 catch's in that time

Chad Ochocinco 185 catch's in that time

Randy Moss 210 catch's in that time

Steve Smith 192 catch's in that time

Calvin Johnson 148 catch's in that time

Anquan Boldin 192 catch's im that time

T.J. Houshmandzadeh 235 catch's in that time

Brandon Marshall 235 catch's in that time

Terrell Owens 168 catch's in that time

when people talke about the top 10 WR in the NFL dose are the guy's they talk about not wes welker so yes he is the most underrated in the NFL

i dont know way they have drew brees on that list yes he's number's are amazing but he only has one winning season in he's for year's with the saints

so people will over look him with brady manning and big ben who are in the playoffs every year

Three comments on the list (thx for posting BTW).

One, the gap between Welker and Brees at 7% and 5.3% and the number three's at 2.8% is significant. It means, hands-down, they were viewed as clearly underrated at the time.

Two, I wonder how many of the voters were actually making a statement about the "overrated" players? For example, I think that Boldin and Wayne both get a lot of attention, but in comparison to a show-boater like TO they are virtually invisible most of the time.

Three, in the case of Welker, I think he has, in the minds of people outside of NE, been overshadowed by Moss. We all know how significant a player he is (I have him and Meriweather as my pats co-mvp's pre bye), but I think he's under the radar screen nationally, other than among fans who understand the game.

Hope you enjoyed your time on this board. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.

Last edited:
I don't think there is one player on that list that is underrated, there might be one or two who are overrated though.

Odd choices there. Welker is generally considered the best slot receiver in the game. Brees and Rivers are generally considered top 5-6 QBs. Steve Smith is usually considered the best 'small' receiver in the game. Andre Johnson usually gets top 5 rankings and Boldin is usually in the top 10, along with Reggie Wayne.

Oh, well..... the nature of polls, and all that.

i had a similar reaction at first, especially to folks lower down on the list like boldin and wayne. i mean, anyone who knows the NFL doesn't "underrate" any of the guys on the list.

but, i think the poll is as much a comment on how much media attention some guys (like TO) get and how guys like boldin and wayne don't get anywhere near that kind of airtime. we hear a lot about, for example, Eli Manning who had one great drive and one great run of maybe half a dozen games after the 2007 season but has nothing similar on his resume, either before or since (as Gary Myers of the NYDaily News put it when Eli got his big contract), when Brees is clearly a superior talent.

it's interesting tho that they are clearly saying that welker and brees are in a class by themselves (7% and 5.3% of the votes) when it comes to the degree to which they are "underrated" compared to the number threes at 2.8%.

Last edited:
I find that most of the underrated players in the league are OL, DL, Safeties, Corners, LBs in that order.

You really only hear about most OL when they get beat, you rarely hear about them when they hold their man. Thats what I used to like about John Madden, he always gave them the credit they deserved.

Last edited:
Hope you enjoyed your time on this board. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.

I'd pay to be a fly on the wall if he said that in the Pats' locker room. :D :banned:

I'd pay to be a fly on the wall if he said that in the Pats' locker room. :D :banned:

Or the Redskins' locker room. The fly would be ducking teeth and body parts. It's over nine hours since the post...surprised he hasn't been banned yet, but I guess Ian is sleeping late today.

EDIT: oops, my bad. he's been banned. we'll miss him...sniff, sniff

Last edited:
Learn how to make an argument, find a decent team if you are in fact a Redskin fan, then return when you get some football education. The only point you proved is you don't understand the wide receiver position. You sound like your football understanding is based on Madden NFL player ratings.

And you cannot mock the Patriots fan base if you are a Redskin fan. The Pats may have lost the big game two years ago, but at least that team has sniffed the big game at least once since, when was it, 1991?

And the racial slur proves you have the IQ of a hamster. Find some other board to dumb down with your incoherent arguments.

he's not worth arguing with.

Or the Redskins' locker room. The fly would be ducking teeth and body parts. It's over nine hours since the post...surprised he hasn't been banned yet, but I guess Ian is sleeping late today.

EDIT: oops, my bad. he's been banned. we'll miss him...sniff, sniff

$20 says he runs off to his team forum and says that he was banned on a Pats forum because he questioned the greatness of WW, not because he posted racist BS. Any takers? ;)

Last edited:
$20 says he runs off to his home team forum and says that he was banned on a Pats forum because he questioned the greatness of WW, not because he posted racist BS. Any takers? ;)

I don't understand why a person that starts off having a reasonably calm discussion suddenly turns into Dr. Death and amputates his typing fingers. There's gotta be some mental instability and he's undoubtedly worn out his welcome on Redskins forums.

I don't understand why a person that starts off having a reasonably calm discussion suddenly turns into Dr. Death and amputates his typing fingers. There's gotta be some mental instability and he's undoubtedly worn out his welcome on Redskins forums.

I believe that was a Falling Down moment after what he thought was a sharp argument got detonated through about 4 pages of posts. Perhaps that moment of clarity when you realize your logic isn't logical and all you have left is a level of insult typical of a 3-year-old.

And my money is on Pam's observation. The Board banned him because he knew too much about football and we could not handle the truth about Wes Welker.

I also join the prior posts concluding the underrated list is not really underrated in appreciating abilities (How many All-Pros are on that list?). I also note the percentages are very low on votes (1-7%), with I believe 1/7 of players in the NFL voting. From a perspective of a view of difference- makers on a team, the standing in the shadow of another view, I would agree with a number of the names, including Welker (it is usually Brady, then Moss, then Welker when discussing offensive contributors and star power).

Fred Taylor should of won this poll without even someone else in 2nd place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes