PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Players Poll: Most Underrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

weswelker#83

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
wes-welker.jpg

In a poll of 246 NFL players conducted by SI, Wes Welker was voted the most underrated player in the league. Players couldn't vote for teammates, and the poll was completed before Week 2. Welker received 6.9 percent of the vote. Here's the top 12 most underrated.

Wes Welker - WR, Patriots (7%) - NFL Players Poll: Most Underrated - Photos - SI.com

He's going to end up being so underrated that he becomes overrated guys.

Odd choices there. Welker is generally considered the best slot receiver in the game. Brees and Rivers are generally considered top 5-6 QBs. Steve Smith is usually considered the best 'small' receiver in the game. Andre Johnson usually gets top 5 rankings and Boldin is usually in the top 10, along with Reggie Wayne.

Oh, well..... the nature of polls, and all that.

He's going to end up being so underrated that he becomes overrated guys.

In my opinion hes overrated. I dont mean Welker isnt a good player. Hes a player that can get open, is very reliable, and is a first down machine.

I just think with a QB like Brady who is one of the 5 best to ever play the game and Moss who is maybe the best deep threat in NFL History it makes Welker's job so much easier.

Now this is a Redskins fan point of view. Maybe Welker is the main guy who makes the offense go. I just think he sees alot of hype when he isnt a guy who is going to break the game open. A guy like Julian Edelman steps in and makes some plays when Welker went down with a injury.

Dont misunderstand what im saying. I think Welker is maybe the most reliable WR in the NFL. I just think hes a tad bit overrated.

None of those 12 players are underrated imo to any fan who watches and knows NFL football. Some of them imo are overrated. Out of those 12 id go with Phillip Rivers just b/c so many other QBs get attention and alot of people sleep on Rivers.

Id say the most underrated player in the NFL might be Dallas Clark. People hype up other members of the Colts and other TEs in the NFL more. Clark should get alot more hype. Hes a complete machine.

Last edited:
In my opinion hes overrated. I dont mean Welker isnt a good player. Hes a player that can get open, is very reliable, and is a first down machine.

I just think with a QB like Brady who is one of the 5 best to ever play the game and Moss who is maybe the best deep threat in NFL History it makes Welker's job so much easier.

Now this is a Redskins fan point of view. Maybe Welker is the main guy who makes the offense go. I just think he sees alot of hype when he isnt a guy who is going to break the game open. A guy like Julian Edelman steps in and makes some plays when Welker went down with a injury.

Dont misunderstand what im saying. I think Welker is maybe the most reliable WR in the NFL. I just think hes a tad bit overrated.

None of those 12 players are underrated imo to any fan who watches and knows NFL football. Some of them imo are overrated. Out of those 12 id go with Phillip Rivers just b/c so many other QBs get attention and alot of people sleep on Rivers.

Id say the most underrated player in the NFL might be Dallas Clark. People hype up other members of the Colts and other TEs in the NFL more. Clark should get alot more hype. Hes a complete machine.
I really have to disagree, even though I'm a Patriots fan and I might be biased.

Our offense takes a nose dive when Welker isn't on the field. I don't think you understand how important he is to the Pats. Brady doesn't make Welker's job easier; Welker makes Brady's job easier. A lot easier. He's an automatic first down almost every time he touches the ball.

And he had 100+ catches last year with Cassel throwing to him, not Brady.

Name one other receiver who consistently catches at least five balls a game, week in and week out. Anquan Boldin doesn't do that, and he has Fitzgerald and Kurt Warner and Steve Breaston. No one on the Saints does it. No one is as consistent as Welker is.

Welker was the best receiver on the Dolphins when Cleo Lemon was throwing to him behind an awful oline. He still managed something like 60 receptions and 600 yards.

He still holds records at Texas Tech. Hell, he has the most punt returns for a touchdown in NCAA history. Welker's definitely not a joke.

Teams have tried to double up Wes and he still gets open. The guy is unstoppable.

I honestly believe that Welker will have another 100+ catch season this year if he stays healthy. He's already at 46, which currently leads the league. If he does it again, that would make him the only player in NFL history to record three 100+ reception seasons in a row. And he would be doing it after missing two games earlier this year. That's insane no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:
Calling that 'overrated', even a tad bit, is bewildering.

Maybe it is. Im saying that for a guy who gets first downs and not touchdowns he gets alot of hype. Hes a damn good WR across the middle but from everyone I talk to they think hes the key to the Pats success. I see the combo of Brady and Moss being more of the reason than Wes Welker.

I just honestly think he wouldnt be getting 100 receptions a year if he wasnt in New England. I just see Welker alot of times put in a discussion with some of the best WRs in the game and hes the only one who isnt a game changer.

Maybe it is. Im saying that for a guy who gets first downs and not touchdowns he gets alot of hype. Hes a damn good WR across the middle but from everyone I talk to they think hes the key to the Pats success. I see the combo of Brady and Moss being more of the reason than Wes Welker.

I just honestly think he wouldnt be getting 100 receptions a year if he wasnt in New England. I just see Welker alot of times put in a discussion with some of the best WRs in the game and hes the only one who isnt a game changer.

Do you realize that he caught 67 passes during his second season in Miami when Joey Harrington was his quarterback, and that the 67 passes was a jump up from the 29 receptions he got in his first season as a receiver?

I really have to disagree, even though I'm a Patriots fan and I might be biased.

Our offense takes a nose dive when Welker isn't on the field. I don't think you understand how important he is to the Pats. Brady doesn't make Welker's job easier; Welker makes Brady's job easier. A lot easier. He's an automatic first down almost every time he touches the ball.

And he had 100+ catches last year with Cassel throwing to him, not Brady.

Name one other receiver who consistently catches at least five balls a game, week in and week out. Anquan Boldin doesn't do that, and he has Fitzgerald and Kurt Warner and Steve Breaston. No one on the Saints does it. No one is as consistent as Welker is.

Welker was the best receiver on the Dolphins when Cleo Lemon was throwing to him behind an awful oline. He still managed something like 60 receptions and 600 yards.

He still holds records at Texas Tech. Hell, he has the most punt returns for a touchdown in NCAA history. Welker's definitely not a joke.

Teams have tried to double up Wes and he still gets open. The guy is unstoppable.

I honestly believe that Welker will have another 100+ catch season this year if he stays healthy. That would make him the only player in NFL history to record three 100+ reception seasons in a row.

You bring up alot of good points. Im not hating on Welker. I respect his game.

You know your team more than I would. I respect your opinion. The biggest thing about Welker is I think hes a perfect fit for NEs system. He fits what they love to do on offense. Hes almost like a great system Quarterback. A system QB is reliable but hes not a guy who is going to be a playmaker and change the game by breaking it open.

I dont think hes overrated for what he does on the field but I find him overrated for the hype he gets when he gets grouped into a discussion like ive seen before with guys like Moss, Fitz, Andre Johnson, etc.

Last edited:
Do you realize that he caught 67 passes during his second season in Miami when Joey Harrington was his quarterback, and that the 67 passes was a jump up from the 29 receptions he got in his first season as a receiver?

Yes I do. Hes always been a true football player that can make a catch over the middle or return a kick and make a play like he did in Miami. Im not hating on Wes Welker. He is a 100% true football player and does what he does better than anyone else. I just think a slot WR is overhyped when he gets grouped with WRs that can make plays. His game isnt overrated. The hype he gets makes him overrated imo.

Last edited:
I honestly believe that Welker will have another 100+ catch season this year if he stays healthy. He's already at 46, which currently leads the league. If he does it again, that would make him the only player in NFL history to record three 100+ reception seasons in a row. And he would be doing it after missing two games earlier this year. That's insane no matter how you look at it.

I think Welker is awesome, but not underrated. He gets alot of attention from fans, the media and opponents. I remember a ref even told him he loved watching him play.

He's not a burner who blows by defensive backs. His job is to make the short and intermediate catches when those passes would be anticipated by a defense. If your theory is Brady makes Welker, then point to Welker's equivalent on the Pats teams before Welker arrived. There was none.

Welker makes catches look easy that are far from it, and he does it on obvious passing downs. You do not put Randy Moss or Steve Smith or Andre Johnson in his role and expect the same results they presently enjoy. They will get more TDs because they go over and around defensive backs on deep routes, which means open range to the end zone once they make the grab. Welker has the deep secondary in front of him and linebackers around him when he makes the catch. The only TDs he tends to get are the ones he earns by making all those defenders miss.

As for the OP, I do not see him as underrrated. He typically gets his props for the work on the field. Faulk usually gets the underrated label.

Last edited:
Yes I do. Hes always been a true football player that can make a catch over the middle or return a kick and make a play like he did in Miami. Im not hating on Wes Welker. He is a 100% true football player and does what he does better than anyone else. I just think a slot WR is overhyped when he gets grouped with WRs that can make plays. His game isnt overrated. The hype he gets makes him overrated imo.

You, yourself, say he may be "the most reliable WR in the NFL" and is a "a first down machine", yet you claim he's overrated.

That simply makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure if this article has been posted before. But just in case there were some who missed it..and since it is relevant to this topic, here's an interesting Chris Brown piece that focuses on the importance of Mr. Wes Welker's role in the Patriots offense. Granted, there can be some debate on whether or not the essentiality of the role is due to the offensive philosophies that the Patriots apply or the successful fulfillment of the slot role by the player.

Happy Feet: How Wes Welker Makes the Patriots Go - The Fifth Down Blog - NYTimes.com

"It is not exaggeration to say that Welker has been integral to New England’s success. At no point over the last two years has the team had a truly imposing running game, and, while Moss has provided the necessary downfield fireworks, it is Welker that Brady looks to to keep drives alive and replenish the opportunities for Moss to get behind the opposing secondary."

He's not a burner who blows by defensive backs. His job is to make the short and intermediate catches when those passes would be anticipated by a defense. If your theory is Brady makes Welker, then point to Welker's equivalent on the Pats teams before Welker arrived. There was none.

Welker makes catches look easy that are far from it, and he does it on obvious passing downs. You do not put Randy Moss or Steve Smith or Andre Johnson in his role and expect the same results they presently enjoy. They will get more TDs because they go over and around defensive backs on deep routes, which means open range to the end zone once they make the grab. Welker has the deep secondary in front of him and linebackers around him when he makes the catch. The only TDs he tends to get are the ones he earns by making all those defenders miss.

I agree hes not a burner. Thats why I dont like it when a slot WR gets thrown into discussions with true playmakers. Welker did help Brady also. I just think Brady helped Welker alot more. I also think more than anything the NE system helps Welker. Other NE WRs in the past made some plays b/c of Brady. No name guys turned into solid players. Welker had more talent then them so he can do more things over the middle but if Welker went somewhere else instead of NE I dont see him getting 100 receptions a season.

I also think the attention Moss sees helps Welker alot. If you were to take Moss out of the game I doubt Welker even with Brady at QB could put up the numbers he does.

I like Welkers game. I think hes a classic type of football player that goes over the middle and does his job. I just see on alot of different sites and hear from alot of different fans that hes a top 5 WR. I dont think hes a top 5 WR. So I think hes a tad bit overrated.

In Miami he was underrated. In NE I think hes a bit overrated.

You, yourself, say he may be "the most reliable WR in the NFL" and is a "a first down machine", yet you claim he's overrated.

That simply makes no sense to me.

I dont think hes overrated for what he does on the field. I think hes overrated b/c of the hype he gets in NE and how hes compared to a guy like Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. I dont see how some guys out their compare a slot WR to a game changing playmaker. Thats why I think hes overrated.

Last edited:
I dontt hink hes overrated for what he does on the field. I think hes overrated b/c of the hype he gets in NE and how hes compared to a guy like Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. I dont see how some guys out their compare a slot WR to a game changing playmaker. Thats why I think hes overrated.

Again, your argument makes no sense. I think you're knee jerking in an attempt to out think the room. You don't think he's overrated, but you think he's overrated.

Last edited:
I dont think hes overrated for what he does on the field. I think hes overrated b/c of the hype he gets in NE and how hes compared to a guy like Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. I dont see how some guys out their compare a slot WR to a game changing playmaker. Thats why I think hes overrated.

Well the "some guys" you're referring to in this poll are the players. When a defense finally gets the Pats in 3rd and long Welker will break their back with a 5 yard catch and a 4 yard run. That changes the game.

This is bizarre. I would think most of these players wouldn't be at the skill positions. Honestly, how are guys like Welker, Jones-Drew, and Andre Johnson here? Are there any real fans or players that don't appreciate their greatness? How about Philip Rivers? Before this poll, no one had ever considered him to be a great player, right? (rolling my eyes.) Brian Westrbook! He's only an MVP candidate every season. Sproles and Washington are also a stretch. I guess that's why you make the list if 1 in 100 players mention your name.

Where are players like Aaron Smith? Even Logan Mankins would be much more underrated than Welker. Everyone in the world knows that Welker is awesome.

Last edited:
Again, your argument makes no sense. I think you're knee jerking in an attempt to out think the room. You don't think he's overrated, but you think he's overrated.

No I just gave my personal opinion. I think hes overrated for all of the hype he gets when compared to superstar WRs. Wes Welker isnt a superstar WR. Welker is a solid player who can rack up catches across the middle of the field. People throw him in discussions with players that are playmakers. Im not hating on Welker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Back