PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Offseason moves which may impact the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
As in #1 priority, care to explain? :)

Brady was in the top five last year when it came to QB hits absorbed. As a result, he broke his ribs on top of reinjuring his shoulder. He can go in having Jerry Rice in his prime and Randy Moss in his prime as his top two receivers next season, and it's not going to matter if he does so with the same starters on the right side of the O-Line. He IS getting older and those hits do more and more damage as he ages. Simply put, neither Brady nor the Pats can afford to have him get his as much as he did this last season.

Brady was in the top five last year when it came to QB hits absorbed. As a result, he broke his ribs on top of reinjuring his shoulder. He can go in having Jerry Rice in his prime and Randy Moss in his prime as his top two receivers next season, and it's not going to matter if he does so with the same starters on the right side of the O-Line. He IS getting older and those hits do more and more damage as he ages. Simply put, neither Brady nor the Pats can afford to have him get his as much as he did this last season.
The offensive line is aging with Brady too but offensive linemen typically age/decline faster to an extent but I just don't see it as the highest priority going into this off-season. Hopefully we can find a nice Guard prospect later in the draft because it seems most of the early/hyped guys are a going to be reaches, then again we have free agency but the UFAs look meh unless we want to go after some RFAs. I know I mentioned that guy from Florida in another post but I think hes going to get snatched up quicker than most people think. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think the Pats are going to invest into an offensive lineman early in the draft or a bigger name in free agency but then again I could be wrong :D

The offensive line is aging with Brady too but offensive linemen typically age/decline faster to an extent but I just don't see it as the highest priority going into this off-season. Hopefully we can find a nice Guard prospect later in the draft because it seems most of the early/hyped guys are a going to be reaches, then again we have free agency but the UFAs look meh unless we want to go after some RFAs. I know I mentioned that guy from Florida in another post but I think hes going to get snatched up quicker than most people think. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think the Pats are going to invest into an offensive lineman early in the draft or a bigger name in free agency but then again I could be wrong :D

You have to protect the franchise. That's all there is to it. As the franchise runs, so does your team. If the franchise gets dinged up because he isn't protected, the team stumbles. We saw this in 2009. Yes, we do have some huge needs in other places, particularly at WR, DE, and OLB. However, protecting the guy who was in command of this dynasty is priority #1.

And I'm not very high on Pouncey, personally.

You have to protect the franchise. That's all there is to it. As the franchise runs, so does your team. If the franchise gets dinged up because he isn't protected, the team stumbles. We saw this in 2009. Yes, we do have some huge needs in other places, particularly at WR, DE, and OLB. However, protecting the guy who was in command of this dynasty is priority #1.

And I'm not very high on Pouncey, personally.
Clearly if the offensive line needs improvement its going to be inside who do you think warrants a first or second round selection? Iupati or Asamoah? Pursuing a RFA or trade is certainly possible but with an uncertain future teams are going to try and play this off-season smarter one would think.

I saw that article "Quarterbacks Getting Hit" and looking back there certainly was a disturbing trend regarding Brady constantly being knocked around this season. However we faced a good amount of aggressive defensive coordinators which seems to be an increasing trend in this passing league but to me at times our receivers (-Welker <3) couldn't to beat the one on one coverage at times leading to Brady holding it on too long which undoubtedly lead to increased hits, I think this is where we still miss Gaffney to a degree. If you look at the Jets and Colts playoff game who were Indy's leading receivers Garcon and Collie guys left in single coverage and who are arguably Mannings 3rd and 4th options depending on the offensive package of course. Also I think it should be noted Brady was Tied for 3rd in the league for passes dropped (34), Joey certainly didn't help that stat :D It's clearly not just the offensive line but a combination of things which hopefully will be resolved by next year :rocker:

Last edited:
6. Hollywood "it" girls
WTF.gif
Myrna Loy, Ginger Rogers, Jeanette McDonald, Rosalind Russell, Lana Turner, Hedy Lamarr, Barbara Stanwyck, Jane Russell, Greta Garbo...those are Hollywood "it" girls. The only reason I even know about the bimbettes you cite as so-called eye candy is they've made themselves infamous through indiscretion. Sheesh, next you'll be telling us OL is the number one priority - oh, that's right, you're already doing that. :bricks:

Doofus "thinks" - Peter King - SI.com
5. I think Chester Taylor's the hidden skill-position gem of the unrestricted free-agent crop. He's 30, but a lightly used 30-year-old back who could be a solid co-number one for a team like San Diego, Washington or Detroit.

6. I think these are the five unrestricted free agents who could get the most play when the market opens for business March 5:

a. Linebacker Karlos Dansby, Arizona. Just 28 and with ranginess and the ability to play the run well, he's the best all-around linebacker out there.

b. Defensive tackle Aubrayo Franklin, San Francisco. The Niners will have to franchise him to keep him out of the paws of a 3-4 team needing a noseman.

c. Wide receiver Kevin Walter, Houston. With so many teams needing a veteran receiver (Baltimore especially), Walter will have choices.

d. Defensive end/OLB Aaron Kampman, Green Bay. A misfit in Green Bay ... could be happy elsewhere. A proven pass-rusher. Could the Pats bite?

e. Cornerback Leigh Bodden, New England. Saved his career with a respectable '09 season, and the corner market is absolutely bare.

WTF.gif
Myrna Loy, Ginger Rogers, Jeanette McDonald, Rosalind Russell, Lana Turner, Hedy Lamarr, Barbara Stanwyck, Jane Russell, Greta Garbo...those are Hollywood "it" girls. The only reason I even know about the bimbettes you cite as so-called eye candy is they've made themselves infamous through indiscretion. Sheesh, next you'll be telling us OL is the number one priority - oh, that's right, you're already doing that. :bricks:

You're naming actresses now. The problem with doing that is that we're not in the 1950's anymore. The term "it girl" encompasses more than just being an actress now. That's the reason girls such as Giselle Bundchen and Kim Karshasian are able to be famous. They set the standard for the regular girls of today. And, since I'm still young enough to "chase tail" as you old timers called it :cool:, I think I'll go ahead and consider them "it" girls. And yes, Lana Turner used to be gorgeous. However, the only reason I've ever heard of her is because I actually sat through "The Aviator". Today, you wouldn't be able to so much as sit down and have a conversation with her due to the fact that her vocal cords have rotted out (R.I.P.).

And yes, I thoroughly believe that O-Line is the numero uno priority of the offseason. I'm using the reasons that I have since cited to back that assertion. Brady will get killed next season with what we have. I've seen your reasoning to back your assertion that the O-Line isn't the number one priority next season as well. I have to say, I'm not convinced. The only thing that we know about George Bussey at this point is that he was a fifth round draft pick who is still a little on the light side for a RG who has had knee problems. You'll forgive me if I'm not ready to proclaim him the solution to Stephen Neal's impending retirement. At this point, we don't even know if he's going to be better than Dan Connolly.

Clearly if the offensive line needs improvement its going to be inside who do you think warrants a first or second round selection? Iupati or Asamoah? Pursuing a RFA or trade is certainly possible but with an uncertain future teams are going to try and play this off-season smarter one would think.

I saw that article "Quarterbacks Getting Hit" and looking back there certainly was a disturbing trend regarding Brady constantly being knocked around this season. However we faced a good amount of aggressive defensive coordinators which seems to be an increasing trend in this passing league but to me at times our receivers (-Welker <3) couldn't to beat the one on one coverage at times leading to Brady holding it on too long which undoubtedly lead to increased hits, I think this is where we still miss Gaffney to a degree. If you look at the Jets and Colts playoff game who were Indy's leading receivers Garcon and Collie guys left in single coverage and who are arguably Mannings 3rd and 4th options depending on the offensive package of course. Also I think it should be noted Brady was Tied for 3rd in the league for passes dropped (34), Joey certainly didn't help that stat :D It's clearly not just the offensive line but a combination of things which hopefully will be resolved by next year :rocker:

While I do agree with you that WR is a HUGE need for the offense this offseason (a close second to the O-Line, IMO), I think you are wrong in blaming the quarterback hits on lack of receiving depth. After all, if this were true, Ben Watson and Chris Baker (two legitimate receiving options, when used properly) wouldn't have seen so much time helping the O-Line out in blocking on passing downs. The probem was that the right side of the O-Line without Stephen Neal couldn't hold their blocks. The problems at receiver only compounded what happened to our offense.

His skills really deteriorated quickly, didn't they? The only question left for the Rams now is Clausen or Bradford?
He really got beat up over the years didn't help the offensive line got old and deteriorated so quickly without aqueduct replacements. I remember some of the numbers he put up in his first couple seasons were pretty decent but things just went downhill from there he was often injured. They could wait until next year and grab Jake Locker too.

Looking at the TE situation, would it be worth picking up someone like Derek Fine as a camp body? Bills cut him a few hours ago, and he's a former starter. Only young too.

1) You have to protect the Franchise. That's all there is to it. As the Franchise runs, so runs the team. If the franchise gets hurt because he isn't protected, the team hurts. We saw this in 2009. Yes, we do have some huge needs in other places, particularly at WR, DE, and OLB. However, protecting the guy who was in command of this dynasty is priority #1.

2) And I'm not very high on Pouncey, personally.

1) I agree with this list, and would include SILB.

2) Why aren't you as high on Pouncey as I am? 22 may be too early, but if he's there at 44, I'm all over him...in a figurative sense.

Matt Miller (nfldraftscout) on Twitter
Rams like Vick. Bears like Peppers. Pat Williams likes retirement. Marc Bulger out in STL.

-----

John Clayton says Brandon Marshall to Patriots would make most sense. Pats DO have two first-rounders in 2011.
That ought to put any trade for Brandon Marshall to bed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back